Backing up original games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by El-Grosso, Feb 15, 2010.

Feb 15, 2010

Backing up original games by El-Grosso at 10:53 AM (938 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. El-Grosso
    OP

Member El-Grosso GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    My brother just bought a Wii, and wants to use some of my original games with no illegal business. Thing is, I'm still playing some of these games, so I thought making backups would be the easiest solution. I was just wondering if there was any funny business with compatibility of games. My Wii games are PAL, so will any PAL .iso work with my current game saves? Or are there different types related to my game saves.

Thanks.

2. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Any PAL.iso will work with your saves.

If you really want to make back-ups, you should softmod your Wii and hook up your external HDD. That way you can easily back the legit Wii games up, I do it too.

3. El-Grosso
    OP

Member El-Grosso GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    oh if only i had one spare, thanks anyway!

edit: out of curiosity, how would i back up a dual layer game like smash brothers? would i need a dual layer disc? at the moment, i'm using DVD-R's x8 speed.

4. Christopho

Member Christopho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Dumb answer: yes, you do need a dual layer disc to play a dual layer game =)

More in-depth: I think that you can play it on a DVD-R using some kind of compressor or I think you can use wiiscrubber to take out all the vids and then it will be less than 4.7 GB. If you're not willing to research/google about that then just use a DVD-DL disc. Just so you know, dual layer discs have now been proven to kill your wii's lens faster, so I recommend getting a cheap hdd than buying a pack of dual layers...

20gb hdd = 5-8 games at one time. Meaning you could have 4 party games and then one rpg/action game to play. Then, once you're done with the action/rpg game you can put in another game. Basically, a 20gb hdd can get you an infinite library of Wii games.

Hope I helped ^^

EDIT: Here's a link to compatible HDD for USB Loaders if you're interested: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...patibility_List

EDIT 2: Nvm on the DVD+DL, sorry wrong info XP

5. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    You need to use DVD+DL or you will waste a heap of DVD-DL's

6. harmor

Member harmor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I prefer USB Loaders. If you do decide to buy an external hard drive make sure to install cIOS38 rev 17 as it supports dual-layer games.
    Here is a guide on installing cIOS's. You should also install Herme's cIOS to play Guitar Hero games.

Quick question.
    Is cIOS rev17 only required for dual-layer discs in apps such as neogamma or are they required in USB Loaders as well?

7. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    For USB as well.