Backing up nds saves from a retail cart to a slot 1 cart, doable?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by nl255, Sep 20, 2008.

1. nl255
    OP

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Are there any tools to backup ds saves from a retail cart to a slot 1 cart without having to go through either wifi or a slot 2 card? It seems like it could be done with swapping as the ds has 4MB of RAM and saves are only 512KB at most.

2. Rascal

Member Rascal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've tried to find one to no avail. It seems that when you put the CycloDS back in, the utilities can't read the file system. That's why the Slot-2 solution is so helpful. EZ Flash 3-in-1's aren't too expensive. Just save up and get one. It's well worth it.

3. cyklo

Newcomer cyklo Member

United Kingdom
    Wifi or Slot-2 really do appear to be the only options, sorry. The problem with most flasharts is that re-insertion tends to do funny things to the DS, be it not re-mounting the filesystem or doing something else wonky.

I personally went the wifi route and it worked both quickly and accurately. But as Rascal said, there are more uses than just that for the 3-in-1 and it's a good investment all round.

4. BurlyEd

Member BurlyEd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Here are
    Rudolph's Archives
    === Backup Tool Series ===
    NDS Backup Tool Slot2 v0.31 (2007/8/16)
    NDS Backup Tool Wifi v0.31f (2008/6/21)
    NDS Backup Tool Wifi v0.31d (2007/10/22)
    NDS Backup Tool 3in1 v0.31 (2008/1/29)??Supported new 3in1 cart.
    GBA Backup Tool v0.1 (2007/12/24)

I have used NDS Backup Tool 3in1 v0.31 (2008/1/29) with my 3in1 to backup and restore saves from Pokemon D/P.
    Also I dumped Diamond retail to an .nds file that is exactly same as a downloaded ROM file.
    It is fast, simple and reliable. It uses a 3in1 but does not require wifi.
    I have not tried this on my Cyclo, because of the awkward way it boots, but it works fine on R4, DSTT and EDGE.

I have not tried the wifi tools, but others claim success.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. nl255
    OP

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

I have a M3 Lite but unfortunately the dualslot browser doesn't work on the CycloDS for some reason. I could go to the 3 in 1, but that would require starting many GBA games over as the 3 in 1 requires sram patching which means you can't use your existing eeprom/flash savegames. Not to mention the fact that I would have to convert the saves manually from m3 format to .sav and then manually test each one as well as delete several DS games to make room for them.

6. Jordan10la

Member Jordan10la GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    What is this? I use a CycloDS and included GBA support along with GBAExploader and I use my saves from real carts? Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

7. Rascal

Member Rascal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Are we talking about NDS SAVs or GBA? The original post implied NDS but the last 2 posts are muddying up the issue.