backing up nand on korean wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by abubin, Aug 19, 2015.

1. abubin
    OP

abubin Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2008
    Senegal
    I bought a used wii last month. It came with homebrew already installed and firmware 3.4U.

After doing a bit of research, I made the mistake of running the system update wanting to upgrade the firmware to latest 4.3U so that all hacks I do will be on the latest firmware. To my horror, I got 003 error and after that only I realize I got a Korean Wii and that I shouldn't have upgrade the firmware.

Fast forward 1 week later, I manage to pay someone to fix it. He unbrick my wii and now it is back to running state with firmware 4.3U.

I would like to try doing some hacks especially USB loader GX.

This time I want to proceed with caution.
    1) is there a way for me to backup my NAND so that in case I brick my Wii again, I can restore back?
    2) I cannot install bootmii into boot2 because mine seems to be running the newer patched boot1. What can I do?
    3) in the event that I am unable to backup my NAND, can I still running hacking towards installing USB loader GX without bricking the wii?

Thanks.

2. HNKii

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Mario Kart Wii-DS Link Play Stadium
    You can backup your NAND with bootmii on IOS, but since it's not on Boot 2, any bricks will prevent you from accessing bootmii@IOS(Unless it's a banner brick and you still have Priiloader on your Wii). There is technically a way to restore if you really screw it up by a 48-pin NAND programmer( AFAIK that's very hard to use)

3. abubin
    OP

abubin Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2008
    Senegal
    thanks for the your reply. Can I upgrade my homebrew to 1.10 as offered by it when I start the program? Can I install priiloader and is it recommended? I would like to use priiloader to disable the updating feature.

and what about usb loader gx? Can I install that without fear of bricking my firmware again?