Gaming Backing up my NES and 3DSWare saves...

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I had to send my 3DS in for repair, and something they did screwed up my DS Software connection ticket (or something like that). The long and short of it was I couldn't connect DS software online but 3DS connections worked. When calling Nintendo, the only option was a system format. This means I need to redownload all my titles (even though they were on the SD card already, they weren't recognized after the format).

So here's my questions:

1) If I redownload a title that was already on the card, will it be on there twice?

2) If so, I need to clear out my downloads on the SD card, so where are my saves so I don't lose them?

To put everything in perspective, even the data management screen won't find the titles on the card. Its a blank list.

Any help?

EDIT: Had a quick thought. It shouldn't put the Ware on there twice, since it should be the same title id, but I don't know if setting up a new activation changes those folder names. >.< I wish there was a PC software to browse the SD card contents. (*wink wink* to any developers out there.)

BoxmanWTF

♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
that sounds absolutely horrible, my guess is it probably won't retain your saves...
But if you wanna check then get another SD card, copy everything on the old one onto the new one and try to download the games then.
I hope it works for you!

D

Deleted User

Aw... Call Ninty up and wail a bit, that works, usually.
If it doesn't, try again until they give in.

Bad advice, but the only thing I can probably think of.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Fishaman P said:
From what I know, doing a System Format will wipe out your ability to download previously-purchased items from the Shop, as well as losing Ambassador priveleges.
Exactly. But since it's updated to the latest firmware, will the ambassadorship still be there?
unsure.gif

BoxmanWTF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
chris888222 said:
Fishaman P said:
From what I know, doing a System Format will wipe out your ability to download previously-purchased items from the Shop, as well as losing Ambassador priveleges.
Exactly. But since it's updated to the latest firmware, will the ambassadorship still be there?
unsure.gif
ohmy.gif
OH SNAP! dang I feel sorry for you bro, I hope you can work it out with customer service : /

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
chris888222 said:
Fishaman P said:
unsure.gif
I -snip- stand corrected.
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

ferofax said:
chris888222 said:
Fishaman P said:
unsure.gif
I don't think the Ambassador thingy checks your firmware, but it checks logs on its server for history of connection. doing a system format will probably wipe any evidence of that, including getting a new FC, losing credit history from eShop, etc. it'll be like a new 3DS connecting online for the first time. and you know what that means, if a new 3DS connected for the first time at this point, it most certainly will NOT be an ambassador.
It checks server logs? Lol, who told you that? I sent mine off for repair, and it came back with a new serial (ie new unit) and worked with the ambassador games, certificate, eshop and eligibility.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The format didn't affect my ambassador status, and it was STILL linked to my Club Nintendo account too. I ended up downloading everything back to that card. Turns out that if the data on the card isn't recognized by the 3DS, it acts like it isn't even there, overwriting the data in the new download. (I remember how many blocks I had left before, that's how I figured it out.) This just means that I'll be collecting 3D Pokemon and starting Zelda and Mario all over again. >.< Oh well. It least it put a good idea out there in the scene. An SD Card management tool would be a great thing to have. Then backing up saves and such would be a breeze.

BoxmanWTF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
MarcusRaven said:
The format didn't affect my ambassador status, and it was STILL linked to my Club Nintendo account too. I ended up downloading everything back to that card. Turns out that if the data on the card isn't recognized by the 3DS, it acts like it isn't even there, overwriting the data in the new download. (I remember how many blocks I had left before, that's how I figured it out.) This just means that I'll be collecting 3D Pokemon and starting Zelda and Mario all over again. >.< Oh well. It least it put a good idea out there in the scene. An SD Card management tool would be a great thing to have. Then backing up saves and such would be a breeze.
good to hear it didn't affect your ambassador status!
If you really want, you can go online and look up QR codes for the pokemon, it makes collecting them a breeze.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Could you not have copied the entire content of the SD to your PC, formatted it, downloaded all the software again, then copied the data from your PC *over* the newly downloaded software?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?