Backing up my NES and 3DSWare saves...

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by MarcusRaven, Sep 24, 2011.

Sep 24, 2011
  1. MarcusRaven
    OP

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    Okay, so I had to send my 3DS in for repair, and something they did screwed up my DS Software connection ticket (or something like that). The long and short of it was I couldn't connect DS software online but 3DS connections worked. When calling Nintendo, the only option was a system format. This means I need to redownload all my titles (even though they were on the SD card already, they weren't recognized after the format).

So here's my questions:

1) If I redownload a title that was already on the card, will it be on there twice?

2) If so, I need to clear out my downloads on the SD card, so where are my saves so I don't lose them?

To put everything in perspective, even the data management screen won't find the titles on the card. Its a blank list.

Any help?

EDIT: Had a quick thought. It shouldn't put the Ware on there twice, since it should be the same title id, but I don't know if setting up a new activation changes those folder names. >.< I wish there was a PC software to browse the SD card contents. (*wink wink* to any developers out there.)

2. BoxmanWTF

Member BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    that sounds absolutely horrible, my guess is it probably won't retain your saves...
    But if you wanna check then get another SD card, copy everything on the old one onto the new one and try to download the games then.
    I hope it works for you!

3. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    From what I know, doing a System Format will wipe out your ability to download previously-purchased items from the Shop, as well as losing Ambassador priveleges.

4. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Aw... Call Ninty up and wail a bit, that works, usually.
    If it doesn't, try again until they give in.

Bad advice, but the only thing I can probably think of.

5. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Exactly. But since it's updated to the latest firmware, will the ambassadorship still be there? [​IMG]

6. BoxmanWTF

Canada
    [​IMG] OH SNAP! dang I feel sorry for you bro, I hope you can work it out with customer service : /

7. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    I -snip- stand corrected. [​IMG]

8. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    It checks server logs? Lol, who told you that? I sent mine off for repair, and it came back with a new serial (ie new unit) and worked with the ambassador games, certificate, eshop and eligibility.

9. MarcusRaven
    OP

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    The format didn't affect my ambassador status, and it was STILL linked to my Club Nintendo account too. I ended up downloading everything back to that card. Turns out that if the data on the card isn't recognized by the 3DS, it acts like it isn't even there, overwriting the data in the new download. (I remember how many blocks I had left before, that's how I figured it out.) This just means that I'll be collecting 3D Pokemon and starting Zelda and Mario all over again. >.< Oh well. It least it put a good idea out there in the scene. An SD Card management tool would be a great thing to have. Then backing up saves and such would be a breeze.

10. BoxmanWTF

Canada
    good to hear it didn't affect your ambassador status!
    If you really want, you can go online and look up QR codes for the pokemon, it makes collecting them a breeze.

11. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    Could you not have copied the entire content of the SD to your PC, formatted it, downloaded all the software again, then copied the data from your PC *over* the newly downloaded software?

12. chaosdarkneo

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    3DS copy-protects files iirc. It would have been impossible to transfer saves to and from the SD card.