Backing up my 3DS digital games on unmodded New 3DS XL to put on a modded New 3DS?

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a New 3DS XL and want to get a New 3DS (non-XL). Was thinking about importing one from Japan since they seem to be more affordable. My idea was to mod the JP one so it can have an English menu, and then run backups of my un-modded New 3DS XL's digital games.

However, how would I go about backing up the digital games on my New 3DS XL if it's unmodded? Is there a tool that can be used on the modded New 3DS after I copy stuff from the New 3DS XL SD card to the New 3DS's? Is there a way to just do it on a PC instead? (copying the New 3DS XL's microSD files onto the PC)?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a New 3DS XL and want to get a New 3DS (non-XL). Was thinking about importing one from Japan since they seem to be more affordable. My idea was to mod the JP one so it can have an English menu, and then run backups of my un-modded New 3DS XL's digital games.

However, how would I go about backing up the digital games on my New 3DS XL if it's unmodded? Is there a tool that can be used on the modded New 3DS after I copy stuff from the New 3DS XL SD card to the New 3DS's? Is there a way to just do it on a PC instead? (copying the New 3DS XL's microSD files onto the PC)?
U mod it so u can dump them

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If I don't want to mod the New 3DS XL, is there any other way to do it?
Yes: ntrboot into GodMode9, answer the question about embedded backup with "No" and dump the titles to CIA as on a modded console. After a reboot the console will still be virgin and have no kind of modification.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: BETA215 and zxr750j

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes: ntrboot into GodMode9, answer the question about embedded backup with "No" and dump the titles to CIA as on a modded console. After a reboot the console will still be virgin and have no kind of modification.

Good luck and have fun!
This is assuming ntrboot is on a flash cart, right? Not familiar with 3DS flash carts...

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there a recommended flash cart for using ntrboot on an unmodded 3DS?
The easiest would be the R4i Gold 3DS Plus thanks to the internal switch for ntrboot/DS game mode. But it is out of production.
It doesn't matter much which one you get. Any one from the lists of supported carts should do. Some older flashcarts might be blocked and require a CFW 3DS or DS (Phat/Lite) for flashing the exploit.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot
https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-ntrboot-compatible-flashcards.492234/

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update here. I've modded my JP N3DS but still waiting on the R4i Gold 3DS Plus flashcart to get here so I can use NTRBOOT with my stock N3DSXL. If I ntrboot into GodMode9, answer the question about embedded backup with "No" and dump the titles to CIA, is it possible to also back up save data for all my digital games? I also have a MH Stories save as well. I used Checkpoint on my JP CFW N3DS to back up all my game card saves, so I just need to take care of the digital stuff and MH Stories on my stock N3DS XL, but not sure how to do it without requiring Checkpoint.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just an update here. I've modded my JP N3DS but still waiting on the R4i Gold 3DS Plus flashcart to get here so I can use NTRBOOT with my stock N3DSXL. If I ntrboot into GodMode9, answer the question about embedded backup with "No" and dump the titles to CIA, is it possible to also back up save data for all my digital games? I also have a MH Stories save as well. I used Checkpoint on my JP CFW N3DS to back up all my game card saves, so I just need to take care of the digital stuff and MH Stories on my stock N3DS XL, but not sure how to do it without requiring Checkpoint.
It is possible to use ntrboot to start Luma3DS once. Since ntrboot isn't always easy to pull off, I suggest the following on your SD in order to only have to successfully do it once.
SD.png

Notice that boot.firm is GodMode9.firm renamed. Normally Luma3DS is the boot file – rename it to something else like luma.firm
To be able to dump your games in CIA format, your SD must be at least half empty – the CIA files will be approximately as big as the content of SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>
It makes no sense dumping the games as legit CIA unless there is a universal legit game (preinstalled), so dump them as standard CIA.

Once you are done backing up your purchased games, load Luma3DS from within GodMode9:
1.png 2.png 3.png

The N3DSXL should start normally with CFW loaded – nothing is modified on NAND and everything will be as before after a reboot. HB Launcher can be started with Rosalina injection. JKSM and Checkpoint should work. Sometimes they crash on backing up some title… normally not a big deal; in your case it is tedious as a crash means ntrboot again (on subsequent boots rename luma.firm too boot.firm again since you don't need GodMode9 anymore).

In Any case: Good luck!

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm pretty annoyed. I finally got my R4 GOLD Pro 2021 cart from nds-cart (which it advertises as ntrboot compatible) and I find that it is NOT compatible. They're basically lying on this page when they say it is compatible with ntrboot: https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?PageNo=1&ProID=490

https://github.com/hacks-guide/Guide_3DS/pull/1865

The above shows that 2021 cards do not work with ntrboot. So...I waited weeks for this thing to ship for no reason. So annoyed.

Where can I get a card that works with ntrboot? Preferably not from China as that ship date was ridiculous...

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm pretty annoyed. I finally got my R4 GOLD Pro 2021 cart from nds-cart (which it advertises as ntrboot compatible) and I find that it is NOT compatible. They're basically lying on this page when they say it is compatible with ntrboot: https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?PageNo=1&ProID=490

https://github.com/hacks-guide/Guide_3DS/pull/1865

The above shows that 2021 cards do not work with ntrboot. So...I waited weeks for this thing to ship for no reason. So annoyed.

Where can I get a card that works with ntrboot? Preferably not from China as that ship date was ridiculous...
Just keep checking ebay and the such. Also. Does sound like they got ppl with false adverting with that newest model. Really sucks they made those not compatible

* Ya also may want to read customer reviews on the page the card is. Theres enough comments about the card being useless for ntrboothax to raise flags against what that site claims.

Last edited by lone_wolf323,

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just keep checking ebay and the such. Also. Does sound like they got ppl with false adverting with that newest model. Really sucks they made those not compatible

* Ya also may want to read customer reviews on the page the card is. Theres enough comments about the card being useless for ntrboothax to raise flags against what that site claims.

The latest review is from March 2020...so I don't see anything there...

In any case I ordered a R4 Gold Pro card from eBay. They say it'll be either 2019 or 2020 (selected randomly) so fingers crossed.

Like an idiot though, I had accidently picked R4 SDHC when attempting to flash the 2021 card with ntrboot, and now I think the thing is a brick. Unless I guess I can find a backup bin somewhere? No backup was made on the microSD.

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just my luck. The 2019/2020 R4 Gold Pro listing I ordered from gave me another 2021 one. What the heck!?

I'm getting fed up with trying to get a ntrboot compatible card...so my question now is: if I was to just mod my New 3DS XL to back up all my digital games and saves, is it possible to revert it back to stock firmware somehow after I'm done?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any particular reasons why you would even consider going back for the exact same R4 card when you had problems with it the first time?

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any particular reasons why you would even consider going back for the exact same R4 card when you had problems with it the first time?

The 2021 card is the one that's incompatible with ntrboot. R4 Gold Pro cards prior to 2021 ARE compatible, which is why I tried ordering one that was advertised as 2019 / 2020.

If you have a recommendation for another ntrboot compatible flash cart, I'd love to hear it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: