Backing up ISOs on HDD or DVD-r?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Nov 3, 2007.

Nov 3, 2007
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So I was rummaging around for a PS2 game I burned to an ISO months ago and because of my ham fisted treatment, it wouldn't read and surprise surprise, it's because of the scratches on the disc. This leads me to a dilemma. I could either back up the remaining discs and reburn them to another brand of better quality DVD-R or I could put the backed up images onto a hard drive.

But say 10 years in the future, which is more likely to survive? The disc or the HDD? Assuming all the stocks of blank DVD hasn't been destroyed

2. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    imo buy a large external hdd, whack all your isos/archives on to it, and then put it away until you need it. ideally you want to keep the archives rather than deleting them after you burnt your iso, at least that's what i'd do

3. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    I have a 500 GB HDD dedicated to my game backups.

Discs get scratched and don't hold up well under certain environments. Also fiddling with them and their cases are a pain in the butt.

If you're worried about a HDD going bad, look for a program called HDD Regenerator. I used it on 2 HDDs that were getting magnetic errors and making clicking noises and it fixed them both perfectly without losing any data (afaik).

4. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States