Backing up games

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by SUCCESSOR, Dec 20, 2010.

Dec 20, 2010

Backing up games by SUCCESSOR at 9:00 PM (1,166 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. SUCCESSOR
    OP

Newcomer SUCCESSOR Member

United States
    I have searched and found instructions on this but all seemed to be either out dated or for hardmodded systems. I softmodded my mom's Wii recently for homebrew and other perks. But she has two games: Just Dance and New Super Mario Bros, she wants to me to back up so that her grandkids don't mess up her originals.

I have a 2gb SD and a 8gb microSDHC (adapted). HBC 1.0.8, 4.1U System Menu, Bootmii as Boot2 and priiloader.

I'm well aware of how loading backups and such at this point but I am completely in the dark on how to backup a game on the Wii. I don't have the hardware to do it on PC.

2. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Use CleanRip, and follow it's instructions. You'll get a clean 4.37 GB ISO-File for each game, so around 8,7 GB in total. What you do with the ISO depends on how you load your Backups, either burn them to a disc or put them on a HD/Stick.

3. SUCCESSOR
    OP

United States
    One more question. I know New Super Mario Bros has some kind of protection and/or update on it. Is that going to cause any problems when burning/loading.

4. Blue-K

Switzerland
    Depends on how you load it. All updated loaders (WiiFlow, CFG-Loader, GX, NeoGamma probably too) should patch the game on-the-fly, some ModChips can be updated to do this also so, dunno about Darkcorp, but I guess it will work there too. So you probably won't have to do anything to make it work.

5. SUCCESSOR
    OP

United States
    cannot find Wii Datfile on redump.org. So Cleanrip cannot verify the ISO. Where can I get this?

I guess this file is no longer available. Is this a protected file? Is there any other way to check if the ISO was ripped successfully. I tried once and it seems to be a bad rip. Dolphin says it's not a Wii ISO.

I think the error is in how I combined the files. I used ImgBurn. the combine size of the parts is correct but the size of the ISO imgburn creates is to big... grrr! --> Fixed with the magic of command prompt. Game seems to work fine in Dolphin(at 25% speed of course) so I'm hoping all will be well on the Wii.

6. ParkerLewis

Newcomer ParkerLewis Newbie

France
    Depends... I use USB Loader GX and I haven't managed to get rid of the issue. I have even tried to manually IPS patch the ISO (with LunarIPS).

I still get an error after ten or so minutes of game play.

7. Blue-K

Switzerland
    1) Don't use GX.
    2) Use a clean Game.
    3) Use CFG-Loader.

8. ParkerLewis

France
    Ok... are you saying that because there's a particular reason not to use GX (apart from "apparently it doesn't seem to work in this specific case") ? You mentioned it yourself in your previous post.

9. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    gx is generally viewed by tempers as buggy or a constant work in progress or painful, like tooth extraction.

your mileage may vary.

10. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    GX is working fine now, but only if you are using the latest beta.
    You can also use an old one (r927 suggested), but it works only with cIOS rev17.

GX include the automatic patching for NSMB.

And of course, it's a constant work in progress, as many users are requesting many things (which can make the loader settings a little confusing).
    Try them all, and just use the one you think is best and easier for the kids.

Don't forget that you need cIOS installed in order to boot games from USB/SD loaders.

11. ParkerLewis

France
    Actually, I had someone softmod my 4.3 wii (i would have done it myself if i'd had the Lego Indiana Jones game in my possession), with base IOS 38 (if that helps in any way). He put on both Wiiflow (2.0 r45) and GX, which are both working fine for my other games. It just so happens that GX is having problems with NSMBW, which is sad because that's the one I prefer out of the two (Wiiflow runs the game fine so it's not a big deal).

12. Shano56

Member Shano56 noobie

United States

little out of the loop Cyan [​IMG]

http://www.mediafire.com/?5pzy3t4quuzqpjd

13. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Maybe it's just a version matter.
    Put revision 927 on your SD card and try again. (That one works, I used it a lot)
    I didn't try/debug the auto-patching function with the latest beta, so I can't affirm it's still working fine (but there's no reason it wouldn't).

Edit : ninja'ed by Shano for the latest revision ! [​IMG]