backing up a gba game?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Jayar182, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Jayar182
    OP

Jayar182 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    I have a dilemma, i want to back up a game save i downloaded from gamefaqs of pokemon emerald because i missed the toys r us event, and put it on my emerald game (cartridge not rom). is there an app that will do this for me? i have a m3 ds simply, although i hear they are the same, i can use my cousins r4 when he gets it in the mail. any help is greatly appreciated.

thank you

2. rhyguy

rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 21, 2007
    Melbourne
    i dont think so, but i could be wrong

a few weeks ago, i asked if you could dump gba roms onto a slot 1 cart, and noone found a way, so i dont think it would be any different

but, i'm probably wrong

3. Takeshi

Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Jun 1, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Though it should be technically possible I couldn't find any homebrew that does it.
    AFAIK you'll need additional hardware (i.e. a GBA cartridge linker) to backup/write saves to an original GBA cartridge.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    EEPINATOR can apparently write saves to SRAM based games (which most pokemon titles are as I recall):
    http://blog.davr.org/2007/03/31/eepinator/
    If you want to dump games cory1492's EZFlash 3 in 1 app can do it.

5. Jayar182
    OP

Jayar182 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    i have been trying to get it to work, but i can't, i even googled for guides, but there was none. is it like the pokemon P/D where i would have to convert the game? how would i do that? is there a guide?

please help, thanks

6. Jayar182
    OP

Jayar182 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    sorry for posting again, but should i just buy a action replay?

7. zeppo

zeppo change my avatar!

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    yes. they are only 20 dollars.

actually, you can get one just for the pokemon games for like 15 dollars.

8. Jayar182
    OP

Jayar182 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    which kind should i get? is there a game save converter so the files work with a action replay/gameshark?

9. Zombie_Mario

Zombie_Mario GBAtemp Fan

Jul 18, 2007
    United States
    SaveGames Converter by Shuny

10. Takeshi

Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Jun 1, 2004
    Gambia, The
    If the save file is .sps (didn't see any other on gamefaqs) it's already in the right format for Gameshark/Action Replay.

Actually I was hoping for you to come up with a nice homebrew app that gets the job done. You're definitely the homebrew master! [​IMG]
    I tested it with my retail sapphire cart, same save type, and it doesn't work either. Is 'Flash_1M (v103)' (because that's what it uses according to pocketheaven) the same as SRAM?

edit: A quick search told me that it's not the same. Though I can be wrong again. I haven't dealt with GBA saves since my old Visoly 64Mb cart in 2003 or so. The newer flashcarts I got never needed the ROMs to be patched to save (at least not manually).

11. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
  12. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Wait, if action replays can do that, what about running the Action Replay ROM dump on an R4?

e: arg double post

e2: tried it, no dice

13. zeppo

zeppo change my avatar!

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    speaking of which, does anyone know how to get actual CODES on the rom dump? like, use the r4 AS an action replay for real games. I did some research and it seems like it would be possible but you would have to

1. have a working action replay
    2. have an r4/m3
    3. need a bunch of codes on your AR.

is anyone willling to do this? because I could pm you my xml file to put on your AR, then use a special trick to get those codes into the AR dump on the r4. (I know how)

it would only take like 10-15 minutes of your time. so please?