B9S 1.3 → ntrboot.firm

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ryccardo, Sep 7, 2017.

1. kublai

kublai GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2008
    United States
    I pretty much have to update many of the programs as I re-downloaded most of them since I did this when I switched from A9toBS9 when it just came out and never looked back. I wasn't sure if I need to put starter .zip and all that again, but I'll just follow step 1 and 2 then. thanks again.

godreborn likes this.
  2. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    The release note just says:
    To install: Use SafeB9SInstaller, or just follow the community guide.
    So yeah whatever...

Xiphiidae likes this.
  3. THYPLEX

THYPLEX GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 20, 2017
    Italy
    Rome
    So , a new version of bootstrap is out ?

4. ArmoredGuns1

ArmoredGuns1 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    Is there any real purpose for this? You can just boot.firm luma and then add the payloads to SafeB9S and Godmode9 and it will still work.

5. RY0M43CH1Z3N

RY0M43CH1Z3N Touch Things and improve your world

Aug 16, 2017
    Spain
    Your Mind
    Last edited by RY0M43CH1Z3N, Sep 8, 2017
  6. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Is this any different than the official release on GitHub? If yes, then what is different? If no, then why mirror it and change the wording?

You have this labeled as a forwarder. Is your intention to boot this using B9S chainloader or Luma chainloader? I'm a tad confused as to the point of this.

Also, why would anybody want to switch to the ntrboot firm if it's only use is to be injected onto a flashcart?

7. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    It's B9S 1.3 except it boots from ntrboot.firm instead of boot.firm. It's installed to an ntrboot cart. This allows you to have, say, SafeB9SInstaller (or GodMode9) as ntrboot.firm and Luma as boot.firm. When you trigger ntrboot from the flashcart, it goes immediately to the installer, and once B9S is installed, it goes immediately to Luma. It's just a small quality-of-life thing.

8. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Oh. So the only point on a hacked system is to confirm the cart works. That clears it up a bit. Thanks squall!

9. MagicKnight

MagicKnight Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2015
    Italy
    Installing or updating B9S actually is the only step where if something goes wrong you'll brick your console even using SafeB9SInstaller (you can still unbrick it with a compatible ntrcard or hardmod). If you already have 1.2 then there's no reason to risk since 1.3 doesn't add anything really useful.

isoboy likes this.
  10. DarkDante

DarkDante GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2015
    Japan
    DarkLand
    What is this? I don't understand what's the difference. Lol sorry

11. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    It's got 0.1 new additions.

12. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    This was originally requested by people who already had cfw but wanted a way to test their flashcarts with ntrboot.

DarkDante likes this.
  13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    this is reason enough to ask questions before installing. I installed 1.3 yesterday, and everything went smoothly. however, safeb9sInstaller says nothing about it being compatible with 1.3, so u really don't know until u try it. that was my concern. just use the updating b9s guide to update. if u have the latest luma, u only need to do the first two sections since the later ones r about installing luma or removing the b9s folder. u need to delete the boot9strap folder to prevent accidentally using the same files when updating again. it's a precaution more than anything else. :)

14. Hunter

Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    compiled for nds and ndsi does not include the "r4sdhc_dualcore" library as it was giving me compiling errors.

enjoy

edit: only tested with ak2i v81

Attached Files:

Last edited by Hunter, Sep 8, 2017
    Ryccardo and godreborn like this.
  15. DarkDante

DarkDante GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2015
    Japan
    DarkLand
    Oh! Now understand thanks!

16. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    It also makes it easier to recover from certain bricks without having to remove the sd card since you can have gm9 as ntrboot.firm while keeping luma as boot.firm.

The standard version runs boot.firm on the 3ds sd card. This version runs ntrboot.firm on the 3ds sd card.

DarkDante likes this.
  17. DarkDante

DarkDante GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2015
    Japan
    DarkLand
    Thanks for the explanation!

18. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Here is a .sha file so you can use this with newer flasher versions.

Attached Files:

19. pitrako

pitrako Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2018
    United States
    How I use this to test If the cartridge is correctly flashed, I rename to ntrboot.firm and put the file in the root of the sd card and press x+select+start+power?

20. Hunter

Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    you can test via Luma itself now, it will state on the bottom of the screen if Luma was booted via B9S or ntrboot, just need to release all buttons but select to load the config to see it