AYA-NEO, a handheld gaming PC, claims to be the “most powerful handheld gaming device”

aya neo.jpg

The age of a new generation of gaming consoles is upon us. This holiday season, the PS5 and Xbox Series X will be available to consumers worldwide. However, with Microsoft’s decision to delay its anticipated launch title Halo Infinite to 2021, many might have to rethink which console to get. Others might even think of staying on PCs. If you are among the latter demographic, how about a gaming PC that you can take on-the-go and which allows you to play the latest games?

There’s already a market for such devices which has been filled by the likes of GPD’s portable PCs and the MIA Smach Z. There’s now a new competitor on this niche market which claims to be the “most powerful handheld gaming device”. Enter the AYA-NEO:

Above is the first video of an early prototype of the device in action; and it was such an early prototype that it was literally held by LEGO bricks. It is currently still in prototype, but has significantly evolved on the design aspect. It sports a Nintendo Switch-like form factor, complete with a touchscreen tablet and detachable controllers. Think of it like Alienware’s concept UFO handheld, but far from being a concept, the AYA-NEO aims to hit the consumer market within 2020 at a reported price tag in the range of $700.

aya cyberpunk.jpg

aya hold.jpg aya vents.PNG aya weight.PNG

Yes, if all goes well, this handheld gaming PC will be another option for your console purchase this holiday season along with the PS5 and Xbox Series X; although availability might be limited for the international market as compared to the Chinese one where the device originates. While the AYA-NEO cannot compare hardware-wise with those next-gen consoles, it’s still a PC with the official backing of AMD (according to the official announcement above) and with the entire Steam catalogue at its disposal. For its size, it also sports decent specs (as of writing) as follows:

• SoC: AMD 4500U
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4-4266 LPDDR4X
  • Storage: 512GB NVMe
  • Display: 7-inch 1280x800 IPS screen
  • Battery: 47 watt-hour
  • Wi-Fi 6
  • Detachable joysticks
In the last couple of days, the AYA team has been quite active online with new footage of their device running games such as Death Stranding, The Witcher III, Red Dead Redemption II and Monster Hunter: World, some with the resolution settings set to high and hitting around 40 fps:

While these are only prototypes, the performance seems impressive considering the sheer size and portability of this device. Sure, one could argue about building a PC with that money but the AYA-NEO is decidedly a niche device aimed at those who want to decently play the latest PC games on-the-go without being too fussy about the need for Ultra visual settings or 60+ fps.

So what are your thoughts on the AYA-NEO from what you’ve seen so far? If it piqued your attention, it might be worth keeping an eye out for the AYA-NEO on its official social media channels linked below from where I sourced the specs and details.

:arrow: Official AYA-NEO Social Media Channels: Discord, Facebook Group, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Last edited by Flame,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'll believe it when it launches. Smach Z talked a big game (ha!) but failed to deliver (at the time I'm writing this, at least). They promise a lot, time will tell if they can actually produce it.

Reactions: whateverg1012

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Price is too high, but most importantly the specs of keel too (no mention of GPU either, possibly the most important aspect, but I guess they will announce this nearer the time, as prices and improvements change quickly (could be RDNA 2).

RAM is wasted really, at this resolution too, they'd be much better off just sticking to 8GB on this type of product / specs.

Resolution is low, but obviously bumping this creates a lot more problems with resources required, heat generated and battery drain, given it's a portable device, it would be a major blow, on a 7" screen, this resolution shouldn't be too bad.

512GB NVMe - decent amount of storage, but games are huge nowdays, so drawing the line somewhere is complicated.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
You forgot that Crysis was ultimate pc benchmark age ago? Right? Is Switch a pc? high-end IQ is required to see my jokes.

see? i can see it i just dont think you understand how to make a joke.

even tho the same joke was made by me; few post above you but better.

learn to copy properly.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Price seems right, I am concerned about battery life and thermal throttling though.
With 6 cores, that's a decently powerful chip, but at 15W TDP; that makes it much harder to cool than something like a Core m5 at only 5W TDP. Smach Z has a similar TDP out of the box but configurable to run at even higher TDP (20 something watts) and we've all heard what the battery life is like on that.

Reactions: 0x3000027E

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh, those Chinese.

My levice is vely goo. Is vely powelfu.

I wouldn't be surprised if these explodes whilst someone naive enough to buy it is playing with it while being charged.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

learn to copy properly.
Master, oh master! (・o・)

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

learn to copy properly.
The meme "can my pc able to run Crysis" was out 13 years ago, when I use this meme I believe you still wear diaper at time, so who's the copycat? You.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/