1. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

I think they're also targeting another audience. take GPD for example, they're already on their 3rd/4th device with a strong fanbase which helps them reach/exceed their crowdfunding goals every single time. that's the market AYA is shooting for. niche for sure but existent nonetheless

emigre and Xzi like this.
  2. geargeeksp

geargeeksp Member
    Newcomer

China
    it is x86, I don't see why not lol

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

if u don't mind wait for 10 years, we might get proper VR gaming exp even lol, so it is something to have within 2020 vs 2023 lol

Xzi likes this.
  3. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Oh for sure, I myself owned a GPD Win a while back. It's just that releasing around the holidays in 2020 gives the appearance that they're trying to compete with next-gen consoles even if that isn't their intent. For what little my opinion is worth, I think the smart move would be taking their time to polish everything and release it mid-2021, as next year is looking completely barren where new hardware is concerned.

Prans likes this.
  4. geargeeksp

geargeeksp Member
    Newcomer

China
    it is already polished for a year, i think we r ready ,but it is bad timing with ps5 coming around the same time lol , or it is not , hard to say

peteruk and Xzi like this.
  5. Berkiel

Berkiel Member
    Newcomer

France
    It's crazy to see some of the reactions around this product, I've been following it ever since the first prototype video came up, I'm a handheld fan in general, and this is a gateway between consoles and PC's Who cares about the Switch being half the price when 10 games with it makes it more expensive in the long run? You can get the Neo, log in to your Steam (or else) account and have access to all your library, of course there's a market for that, we're almost 600 on the Discord server.I find the price really reasonable, a living room console requires a TV, 60-70€/$ per AAA game, a desktop PC requires sitting in one place.

Also saw "another month, another Switch knockoff" yeah show me handhelds running on windows with the Switch form factor please, I'm interested to see one other than the AYA Neo that'll be available before the end of the year?

People need to realise that showing support to this project will make refreshes with higher gens APU's a possibility, waiting for those refreshes to come up will make it so nothing interesting ever happens, they do have support directly from AMD.

Also bad crowdfunded project like the Smach Z only gives bad rep' to the whole thing, here no one will be asked to fund anything, once the prototype is finished, it starts entering mass production and the faster to order might get one before X-mas, if not, Q1 2121.

I'm not a rich person but I'll support this because honestly it is awesome, don't blame Aya for the failures that happened before with other companies. There is room on the market for other brands than GPD, competition is the best thing for the consumers.

They're constantly giving updates to the international community, answer all questions they can, it's the most exciting thing happening this crap year for me and for more and more people!

6. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I had been reading about this for a few weeks, had already watched the various videos.

It's seriously on my purchase list come Christmas time, or whenever it releases.

TheCasualties, Berkiel and Prans like this.
  7. Delipunch

Delipunch Member
    Newcomer

United States
    What physical size though? "Full size" 2280 or the smaller formfactor 2242?

8. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

United States
    This thing runs Windows? I can see me putting Ubuntu on it, if I wanted to get one. However, this seems a bit too niche to be sold to the average consumer, but then again, mainstream electronics started out niche, didn't they? ;)

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    You know there is an edit button, right?

10. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    99/100 will overheat and brick.
    the design looks nice but it a brick.

1/100 that dont overheat and brick will never be used or maybe just turned on a time or two. no set up even done of system.

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee, Aug 15, 2020
  11. EvilJagaGenius

Newcomer

United States
    I wonder what would happen if Valve put their minds to creating a handheld PC gaming device? That seems like a sort of thing I could see them playing with. In the meantime, I hope this can deliver on the hype.

Berkiel, TheCasualties and Xzi like this.
  12. wiitendo84

wiitendo84 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    But can it play arkham knight

13. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Looks good, my biggest gripe is the button layout. I need the right thumbstick up higher to get comfortable. Like the Switch, I can't hold it and use the right thumbstick for extended dual analog gaming. And there needs to be two triggers on each hand.

14. MagnesG

MagnesG GBAtemp Lurker

United States
    Good luck on getting comfortable thermal capacity / battery life, even with $700 price tag.

That UFO prototype only last around 1 hour lol on max.

15. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do people in this thread not know that the 4500U is a 15W product(and can be configured to be as low as 12W making it on par with the switch at times)? The switch itself is a 10W product...

Even on CISC architecture, you have to add in that the 4500U is on a 7nm process (being more dense than the nintendo switch) as well as its batteries W/H being 3x bigger than the switches. The only thing going against it(to me at least) is that no APU is going to be using navi for a while, as all of them will be Vega based for the time being.

Berkiel likes this.
  16. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lol, what's the reason you're so toxic hahaha

If you have such a low I.Q. you should really just keep your opinion to yourself.

May aswell add 32GB you won't be able to use......what an absolute idiot hahahaha

I honestly thought you were a young child, really, but after reading throw this thread, I can see you are actually connected to this "project" (I assume it's just an an issue with the English language, but you do seem extremely juvenile).

Granted you have a financial interest in this "project", but please don't come here spewing nonsense and lies in order to boost your "product".

If you are connected with this, it explains why the hardware is so unbalanced. This product just lost the slight amount of interest it may have piqued. I couldn't trust a product from someone like you, no understanding of the basics and requirements, and unwilling to improve them.

If this were ever to make it to market, it would be a shoddy cash grab and then abandoned, for $700 it is clearly best avoided.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Most probably don't, but a fair few if us do.

Last edited by yoyoyo69, Aug 15, 2020
  17. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    Knowing Windows 10, I guarantee it won't even launch. Not to mention Crysis is really picky about modern hardware..

18. Torina

Torina GBAtemp Regular

France
    Finally, some interesting news, thanks a lot Prans !
    I thought gaming on the go was about to die with the end of the VITA and the overly closed ecosystem of the SWITCH (backward compatibility, what is this ?), but handheld x86 is a bliss !

Amen to that.:)
    You've got 30 years of PC (and emulated console) gaming at your fingertips, all gamers should be extatic. I funded the SmachZ back in 2017 for 300€, they still seem alive but hey, nothing ventured...

A 40 minute travel with MGSV or Arkham City/Origins costs 20% of my GPDWin 2 battery, no overheating. A 3 hours game time is on par with BOTW, am I not right ?^_^

Of course, one can play more reasonnable games, HW, RA3 or SC2 use half this power, while GOOD indies (some are awfully coded like dead or school) or 90's/00's AAA games skyrocket to a 10 hours autonomy.

I would love to see this market expand, the more the merrier !:yaypsp:

Prans and Berkiel like this.
  19. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    Cool but can it run in Crysis ? If it can do that without a problem then it's impressive with this portable really powerful! If not, that's shame and worthless!

Unfortunately I am not going to get it anyway no matter what because I am not into portable system on the go at all. I will be fine with my powerful latest PC customize modified at home. Yes, I have Nintendo Switch jailbreak but I never used it on the go. It is purpose to be for home use that's all. So, no on the go for me at all. I will skip it but its neat, thought.

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Aug 15, 2020
  20. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".
    Former Staff

Croatia
    Remember what happened when Valve put their minds to creating a regular gaming PC?

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - device”, handheld, powerful