GregH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Hi everybody,
i've a problem installing some nsp downloaded from softcobra and other places.
with most of the nsp i try to install with awoo i receive this error message

"Failed to Install .... .XCI"...
error code 0x00234c02

Can some one help?

I've the latest awoo installed (1.3.1) i updated from the awoo program the signature patches (actually up to HOS 9.1.0)
I've installed the latest Atmosphere and upgradeted Kosmos and hekate (from the hb update app)
I also donwloaded and unzipped this as suggested in another thread https://github.com/Joonie86/hekate/releases in the main sd card folder (merging the old and new ones)

Please help!
IMG_20200131_133917.jpg

Last edited by GregH,

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is something I pulled from another post as I noticed this coming up a lot lately. Your issue could be different as I’ve personally haven’t seen that error but I believe this to be a great informative post and helps people understand how the patches work a little more! Focus on the where he talks about the hekate_ipl.ini
Check your games with NX Game Info. If any of them fail signature checks they will not install without enabling installing of unsigned code in the Tinfoil settings.
However, that's not recommended unless you trust every NSP you install because it makes you vulnerable to malicious NSPs.
Games that are converted from XCI (NX Game Info tells you if they are) will always fail signature checks, and can not be verified good and not corrupted/malicious. I installed a converted XCI of Ni No Kuni that turned out to be corrupted, as there were some corrupted textures ingame, and I had random crashes. In the case where you can't find a CDN dump of a game and only converts are available, it's better to download an XCI and install it with Tinfoil, it will be auto converted and since it has the original XCI, signature checks will still pass during install so it will install fine.
CDN dumps (NX Game Info will tell you if they are in CDN format) should never fail signature checks, it's a sign that the NSP has been tampered with. Many scene release DLCs will fail signature checks though, because they are forged from data mined from the game, and not properly dumped from CDN. These should still be safe to install as long as you know they are the original scene releases.

That's why they won't install in Tinfoil.
However to run any installed games that are from XCI converts or "fake" DLCs, homebrew NSPs and such, you also need the correct sig patches. That's why they still won't run even when installed with Goldleaf. In my opinion Goldleaf should not allow you to install such titles without any warning but I digress.

Have a look at the launch entry in your bootloader\hekate_ipl.ini
Does it say payload=atmosphere\fusee-primary.bin or fss0=atmosphere\fusee-secondary.bin?
You need different sig patches depending on which method you are using.

https://github.com/Joonie86/hekate/releases
If you are using fusee-primary use Atmosphere_patches_.for.fusee.primary.only.7z and extract it to SD.
If you are using fusee-secondary use Kosmos_patches_12_08_2019.zip, extract it to SD and add kip1patch=nosigchk on a new line in the launch entry, if it's not already there. Ignore that it says Kosmos, it has nothing to do with Kosmos. It's just the sig patches. I don't use Kosmos myself and I don't recommend it because it doesn't teach you what you're doing so you have no idea to fix it when something doesn't work.

Always a good idea to make sure your Hekate is updated as well. https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases/

And you will want to replace atmosphere\reboot_payload.bin after every time you update Atmosphere (as Atmosphere will overwrite it), replacing it with the latest Hekate payload instead. And keeping it up to date when you update Hekate as well of course. Having an out of date reboot_payload.bin, or letting Atmosphere overwrite it, will lead to rebooting into a black screen or an error message.

Then you can continue launching CFW just as you have been doing. No point in fixing what aint broken, Hekate is just fine and myself and many others are using it. Not sure what that guy's beef with Hekate is. It's incredibly useful to have as a bootloader, for easily dual booting with Android/Lakka, making NAND backups, or booting other payloads easily without having to put every payload you want to use on your dongle (if you use one), smartphone, or PC. Just keep them all on the Switch so they're always easily accessible. And my favorite feature is that you can't accidentally boot sysNAND CFW if you forget to insert your MicroSD card and inject Fusee. Hekate will not boot CFW if it can't find the boot config.
I tried Fusee once, accidentally booted into sysNAND several times while trying to set it up because it was silently ignoring my misconfigured emummc.ini instead of throwing an error, and booted into it accidentally when I forgot to put the MicroSD back in, luckily I had made a NAND backup beforehand so I restored that (just to make 100% sure there is no chance I would get banned for it) and went back to SX OS for a few more months, until I decided to take the time to set up Hekate to launch CFW, which has worked much better for me.

Last edited by kylum,
Reactions: GregH

GregH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
yeah sorry , my fault, the problem anyway is the same both with nsp and xci, i tried a lot of nsp files, and maybe a 10% works
I used reputable sources, so maybe it's my fault ?

That's a XCI, not a NSP. Awoo should be able to install it though. Try with Tinfoil, see if it still errors.

I tried to install also with tinfoil 7.0.1 using the lan mode, but i receive an unable to install nsp error in Tinfoil.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yeah sorry , my fault, the problem anyway is the same both with nsp and xci, i tried a lot of nsp files, and maybe a 10% works
I used reputable sources, so maybe it's my fault ?

I tried to install also with tinfoil 7.0.1 using the lan mode, but i receive an unable to install nsp error in Tinfoil.
There should be multiple error messages with more detailed info, is there not?

GregH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
no, unfortunately, just a generic "error failed to open NSP "
VLR8KX
IMG_20200202_094957_2.jpg

GregH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Could be connected to the fact that my sd card is formatted fat32 and not exFat?
And if i copy the entire content of the sdcard on the computer, format the card again exfat, and copy back the content, i lose something?

GregH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
There should be multiple error messages with more detailed info, is there not?
I formatted the sdcard as exfat and copied all the files back, with also the nsp file. I tried to install the game, but this time i received also another message together with Error Failed to open nsp.
The error says NCA signature failed, this file si modified and could be dangerous, activate install not signed code in the option to solve this error.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I formatted the sdcard as exfat and copied all the files back, with also the nsp file. I tried to install the game, but this time i received also another message together with Error Failed to open nsp.
The error says NCA signature failed, this file si modified and could be dangerous, activate install not signed code in the option to solve this error.
Thought that might be the case. A lot of the NSPs you find are XCI converts and will fail signature checks because they are not clean rips. Tinfoil will not install them by default, because it has no way of knowing if they could be malicious. Also, they could have corrupted data in them, like what happened in my case when I installed a XCI convert of Ni No Kuni (couldn't find a clean NSP), which it turned out had some corrupted textures, and random crashes.
It's always best to go with clean NSPs when possible. You can check the games you download with NX Game Info to see if they pass signatures, and if they're converted from XCI. XCI converts and homebrew NSPs will always fail signatures but other NSPs should not. However, a lot of scene release DLCs will still fail signature checks, because they are custom made, created by reverse engineering the game and figuring out the "magic number" for lack of a better term, which unlocks the DLC already in the game or update data, rather than dumped from Nintendo CDN. They should still work just fine though, as long as you enable installing of unsigned code.
It's always best to stick with clean NSPs since you know they will work as intended, and that any issues won't be corrupted. If you can't find clean NSPs, you can install XCIs directly with Tinfoil (or Awoo for that matter), which converts them on the fly, and it will pass signatures as it's checked against the original XCI.
But sometimes (like with those custom DLC unlockers), you might not be able to find a clean NSP, and you don't have much choice. Just make sure you trust any NSP you install when that option is enabled, as you'll have no protection against malicious NSPs (which are rare, but they do exist), and disable it when you're done for safety reasons.

Also, you may have to add kip1patch=nosigchk to the CFW launch entry in bootloader\hekate_ipl.ini (on a new line) when you add the Joonie86 patches, if it's not already there. Otherwise the patches won't be loaded correctly, and NSPs that fail signature checks will show up as corrupted and won't launch.

GregH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Also, you may have to add kip1patch=nosigchk to the CFW launch entry in bootloader\hekate_ipl.ini (on a new line) when you add the Joonie86 patches, if it's not already there. Otherwise the patches won't be loaded correctly, and NSPs that fail signature checks will show up as corrupted and won't launch.

thanks, i tried but as you suggested the file was installed but didn't pass the signature check, i received a "corrupted files" error, and the switch tried to verify the files. I will try again adding the kip1 patch, but can you link to a guide to do it? i'm not sure where to add the line

(i attached my bootloader\hekate_ipl.ini )

by the way @The Real Jdbye many many thanks for your help

Attachments

• hekatnote.JPG
    hekatnote.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,422
Last edited by GregH,

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Add the kip1 patch under the launch options for CFW. Here is an example.

{--- Custom Firmware ---}
[CFW (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
logopath=bootloader/bootlogo.bmp
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp
{}

[CFW (EMUMMC)]
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
{}

Last edited by kylum,

Ichigo-Bankai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm having the same problem at the moment.. I can run my other games right now like botw, spongebob and stuff.. but I wanted to install super mario maker 2 with ns usbloader and i keep getting the same error code.. I almost fucked everything up in my configuration settings because I couldn't play a game earlier.. kept getting could not launch the sofware error code.. Now I'm scared to do anything on my switch.. Anyone have any idea why mario is not installing on my switch..? I already have the ''sweet sigpatches''..

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same problem at the moment.. I can run my other games right now like botw, spongebob and stuff.. but I wanted to install super mario maker 2 with ns usbloader and i keep getting the same error code.. I almost fucked everything up in my configuration settings because I couldn't play a game earlier.. kept getting could not launch the sofware error code.. Now I'm scared to do anything on my switch.. Anyone have any idea why mario is not installing on my switch..? I already have the ''sweet sigpatches''..
Follow these troubleshooting steps:
  1. Make sure the SD card is FAT32.
  2. Remove all CFW files/folders from your SD card (that would be folders like /sept/ and /atmosphere/)
  3. Download the latest Atmosphere
  4. Download the latest fusee-primary (next to Atmosphere)
  5. Download these signature patches (for Atmosphere v0.14.1)
  6. Put Atmosphere and the signature patches onto your SD card
  7. Put the SD into your Switch
  8. Enter RCM
  9. Launch Atmosphere using fusee-primary
If you're using an emuMMC, make sure you have that configured.

If the game still won't install, make sure you've updated to 10.1.0. if the game still won't install or play, use blawar's Tinfoil.

Reactions: mtlucarell

Emeraldu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania

[CFW (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
{}

[CFW (EMUMMC)]
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
{}

This worked for me.
I'm using a Mariko switch with Atmosphère 0.19.5 , system OS version 12.1.0

Now I can install some Gam3z

nikky0810

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do I use these launch options? Where are they inputted.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i recently just upgera

[CFW (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
{}

[CFW (EMUMMC)]
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
{}

how did u use these launch options

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i recently just upgera

how did u use these launch options

On your SD card:
Bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini

This is also assuming you are booting through hekate of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he... +1