Hacking Awesome noob question time!

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
Many people in this forum would not recommend the use of youtube tutorials to mod your wii as they may not take system version into account and can be incomplete forcing you to make a mistake and brick your wii.

basically there are 3 steps to modding the wii (which I presume you have already done?)

1.Run the hackMii installer either via the sys settings or the memory card menu, then install DVDX, Homebrew channel, BootMii as boot2 (if you can) and BootMii as IOS (this doesnt hurt)

2. copy the necessary apps and wads and trucha patch the ioses

3. install the wad files for cios 202, 222,223, 224, 249,250, etc using wad manager

Basically there are links to decent soft modding guides on here which are very easy to follow. You should really follow them as opposed to doing it blind with a youtube video.

One word of advice and I cannot stress this enough, is to backup your nand to sdcard using bootmii when the wii starts. Use the power buttton to move through the options and reset to select or use a gamecube pad. You need the cogs icon and then the icon showing the chip with the arrow comming off it (I think its green). Just let it run and backup your nand before messing with the system ios files. That way if it bricks or you make a mistake your can recover it.

Failing that if you have followed all the steps correctly, still backup your nand anyways and try to put something like neogamma on your sd card and run that from homebrew channel and see if that works. you should also be able to install a channel short cut for neogamma to run it from the sys menu. I dont think a DVD-R game will show up on the disc channel unless you use cioscorp but I wouldnt recommend it as its not for noobs and it easily bricks wii's!

If I were you I would check your modding steps by looking at the guide here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

Backup your nand first after installing bootmii though just in case. Also pay attention to your sys menu version you could be on 3.x-4.1 or 4.2. The guides are different depending on what version of the system software you have. You can find this in the wii settings.

Get NeoGamma backup loader from here and copy onto the sd card (place it in the apps folder):

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158884

skriblzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed the Bootmii as boot2, but I am getting no NAND option when booting my Wii. I've done everything, I just need to back up my NAND. Which in all honesty, is becoming quite confusing for me.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
skriblzz said:
I installed the Bootmii as boot2, but I am getting no NAND option when booting my Wii. I've done everything, I just need to back up my NAND. Which in all honesty, is becoming quite confusing for me.

The card you used to install bootmii needs to be in the wii before you turn it on to get to the bootmii menu to be able to make the nand backup.

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
icpmattj said:
skriblzz said:

The card you used to install bootmii needs to be in the wii before you turn it on to get to the bootmii menu to be able to make the nand backup.

Yes this is a very valid point. You will need the sd card present in the wii when booting it up. If bootmii stilll doesnt appear you may have shifted the files around as instructed in that video. Make sure you have the necessary files in the BootMii folder on the sd card.

skriblzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was my mistake, I thought I kept it copied on it, I did not. Yeah, I've already screwed with the IOS's, but I am backing the nand up now. >.> Sorry. I used to be savvy at this crap, but it's been too long since I've hacked anything. I've been to legit for the past years. lol

Posts merged

And the next thing to do is just put in the neogamma channel? If so, thank you. I really appreciate the help.

EDIT:
ohmy.gif
. Two little bad blocks emerged in the backup. Is that a huge issue?

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
skriblzz said:
That was my mistake, I thought I kept it copied on it, I did not. Yeah, I've already screwed with the IOS's, but I am backing the nand up now. >.> Sorry. I used to be savvy at this crap, but it's been too long since I've hacked anything. I've been to legit for the past years. lol

Posts merged

And the next thing to do is just put in the neogamma channel? If so, thank you. I really appreciate the help.

Hehe! I know what you mean! I used to be squeaky clean then I modded a few wii's and that was that! lol

Basically as long as you have your nand backed up you will be fine. Once ifs all copied to the sd card and BootMii backup is finished with it get back to the sys menu and remove the sd card, pop it in your pc and copy over the nand.bin and keys.bin files to your pc for safe keeping. Then if you are sure you have installed the Cios wads, 202,222,223,249,250 etc you should be okay to try to load a backup. Get Neogamma for this and pop it on your sd card, and use this to boot your backups. See my post above for the link.

Posts merged

Nah dont worry about the bad blocks issue that happens to 99% of wii's! I get that too. The wii has extra blocks to use when this occurs. its down to cheap manufacturing. Yeah I would install the neogamma channel using wad manager and also copy the app to the apps folder on the sd card.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
One other thing to watch out for is some games try to update your system software when you run them so it may be an idea to install priiloader as wel:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader/Priiloader

This will work alongside BootMii and can also help save you from system bricks. Some games can install stuff that could brick your wii

Using Priiloader you can apply a hacks.ini file containing the system patches for your menu system version and you can disable disc and online updates with it making you safer. You can get info on the hacks.ini here:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader/hacks

Once installed access the hidden menu by booting the wii and holding reset. make sure you pop the hacks.ini file on the root of the sd card first. Hope that helps.
yaywii.gif

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
icpmattj said:
Here are NeoGamma Channels i made myself.These will install to the wii so no need for an sd card to use these.All are tested and working.

RC1

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NTSQL3GT (No sound)

RC2

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6472I8OW (No sound)

RC3

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OXDT14A6 ( No sound)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CM4M5MKG (Has sound in Channel)

Nice! In case you are wondering. Theres two types of channels. One is a forwarder which boots the app of sd card or usb, or in this case an embedded channel which also has the app embedded in it. Forgot to mention that part
wink.gif

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
icpmattj said:
I said no need for a sd card in order to use these.

Yes I know. Your channels are embedded ones, but i was just explaining the difference between the two types for our newbie friend. I prefer the forwarders myself as they take up less valuable space on the nand and also allow you to update the app on the sd card without having to reinstall a wad. I prefer it this way but its down to ones personal preference I guess.

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeh thats a good point actually hadnt thought of that. i guess its because I mainly run my games off hdd instead of dvd-r to save the life of my laser and im too lazy to get up from the sofa and change discs! lol I am a Brit after all
wink.gif
Nothing like a wii with a 1TB HDD!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating