Average Life after X-Clamp/2RROD GPU Fix?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by gokuguy, Sep 23, 2011.

Sep 23, 2011
  1. gokuguy
    OP

Member gokuguy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I applied the X-Clamp replacement (Flathead screws + Nylon & Steel Washers) and my console is working again [​IMG] . The problem I had was that the GPU seemed to be shot, as I had a "snowy" screen that made itself constant within an hour or so. I now have perfect picture again, on every game played.

The actual process of getting it to work was;

1) Cleaned and applied new Thermal Paste.
    2) Applied X-Clamp Fix (When finally opening my 360 fully, I found that the GPU was VERY loose; it was easily movable)

After Step 2, the console still had the "snowy" screen, even though it seemed everything was placed the way it should have been. So, I did the following which corrected the problem.

3) Triggered 2RROD (Overheat lights), and let it cool down for 15 min.

After reading what I did above, how long do you think this Xbox will last? Is there anything reliable I can add that will help keep the heat down inside the console for the future?

Thanks in advance!

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you need to heat gun the 360 or get it professionally reflowed ($100)
    simply overheating it isnt enough

3. mr deez

Member mr deez GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I got a couple of extra months out of mine, did it again for another month - then it was binned.

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    1-2 months. 6 months if you're REALLY lucky (mostly if your 360 is a Xenon. You can even expect just 1-2 weeks out a Zephyr/Falcon).

5. gokuguy
    OP

United States
    Hmmm... Alright. Looks like I might be getting a heat gun in a few months then. Whenever it goes out, I'll end up having to get one, because I cannot live without my 360! [​IMG]

I have another 360 that has RROD for the same reason, so when I do get that heat gun, maybe I'll even be able to repair it. That'd be cool.

6. BlazerX

Member BlazerX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would just say sell it while you can and then buy a slim there you go

7. gokuguy
    OP

United States
    Really trying to avoid this for 3 reasons;

1) Slim consoles are expensive. I'm on a small budget. Spending $20 is a lot less than selling mine for $60 or so and still having to pay $140 for one.

2) My console has an Xecuter Blaster CK3 (I think thats what its called) with a flashed Samsung Drive. I really like my Samsung, since AP25 isn't a problem with my backups.

3) Data transfer would suck. I just had to recover my account history in Febuary or March (on two accounts), meaning I cannot recover them again until Febuary 2012 or March 2012. Plus, some of the games I have transferred my data over on before read as corrupted on the other console, which really sucked (I used the official Xbox 360 Transfer Kit, and some still did this..).

Besides, it will be good experience for me to use a heat gun. I've already done everything else to the 360, why not finish the job? (For the record, this 360 has went through X-Clamp Fix, Thermal Paste swap, and a DVD drive motherboard swap, so I'm not letting this thing die if I can help it)

8. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I admire your perseverance (really), but there's also the issue of throwing good money after bad and/or wasting time better spent on more constructive affairs.