Avatool - Homebrew Tool to Change Avatars

This is a quick tool I threw together in my free time the last two days to make changing avatars to custom ones easier for myself. It works by terminating the account service on your Switch which will lead to a crash. While I have had 0 problems testing it, it does write to system save data, which some might consider risky. Also, guaranteed ban online. You've been warned.

Avatars are 256x256 JPG files. Place them in the folder sdmc:/avatar/. Avatool will only see files with the extension '.jpg'
Once on the main selection screen:
  • L and R change the targeted avatar image
  • Up and Down control the file menu
  • A will overwrite the target with the selected source image
If the write was successful, you will see the target image change. Reboot and it should show on the home menu and profile screens.

Keep in mind this isn't supposed to be anything fancy.

avatool.jpg

https://github.com/J-D-K/Avatool/releases

Last edited by JK_,

nowaczuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, big thx for this, but it worked only partially.
on home-screen the avatar is empty, on the user-page it is complete white, only the user-selection on game-start is correctly.
any idea why?
i cant add links to the images, to show the problem :(

Reactions: shiro1811

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, big thx for this, but it worked only partially.
on home-screen the avatar is empty, on the user-page it is complete white, only the user-selection on game-start is correctly.
any idea why?
i cant add links to the images, to show the problem :(
That's ok. I had a hunch and I think I'm right. This is what you're getting, correct?:
2018120912592800-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

2018120912593700-CCFA659F4857F96DDA29AFEDB2E166E6.jpg
When you Export As with GIMP, you need to open the advanced options and uncheck "Progressive." After I did that to the same image:
hank_avatar.jpg

Last edited by JK_,

Sciguy429

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang I was literally just debating makeing something like this...
Oh well, the tool worked perfectly for me, thanks!
2018120913424500-CCFA659F4857F96DDA29AFEDB2E166E6.jpg

Last edited by Sciguy429,

ruyor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting this crash immediately after it mounts the save, launching the NRO through the Album method or through the HBMenu NSP.

Attachments

• IMG_20181209_221849.jpg
    IMG_20181209_221849.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 346
Last edited by ruyor,

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting this crash immediately after it mounts the save, launching the NRO through the Album method or through the HBMenu NSP.
Is it always the same title id? I updated Atmosphere and have tried to get the, I'm assuming, album applet crash. Never happens for me though.

ruyor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it always the same title id? I updated Atmosphere and have tried to get the, I'm assuming, album applet crash. Never happens for me though.
It is a different TitleID when using the HBMenu NSP. I'll give the Avatool NSP a go and see what happens. I also uploaded all of my recent Atmosphere crash reports, I had cleaned out the folder right before I tried this out, so they should all be crashes from Avatool.

--Edit--

Avatool NSP also crashes at the same point

Attachments

• photo_2018-12-10_00-41-29.jpg
    photo_2018-12-10_00-41-29.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 261
  • crash_reports.zip
    17.7 KB · Views: 232
  • photo_2018-12-10_00-50-59.jpg
    photo_2018-12-10_00-50-59.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 260
Last edited by ruyor,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I gather, if using this, you are already past that mark. Same thing as themes.

Unless they are Kongs... Donkey Kongs.
Confirmed themes cause ban? I dont ever put my switch online as I really dont care about it, but thats really sad of Nintendo, this is like in .hack where a couple players got banned for changing their gear color :(

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Confirmed themes cause ban? I dont ever put my switch online as I really dont care about it, but thats really sad of Nintendo, this is like in .hack where a couple players got banned for changing their gear color :(
If a freaking avatar gives you ban, it's only natural themes do it also.
But hey, that what one gets by making the console ours.
It's a damn shame, really.

Why do companies hate us so much that we can't make the console truly ours?

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a freaking avatar gives you ban, it's only natural themes do it also.
But hey, that what one gets by making the console ours.
It's a damn shame, really.

Why do companies hate us so much that we can't make the console truly ours?
Well, the issue is, you think everyone is making their avatar normal things, like an anime character or something, but in reality, many would make their avatar a picture of their genitals. (or someone else's genitals that are larger, that they can then claim as their own).

Reactions: lordelan

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, the issue is, you think everyone is making their avatar normal things, like an anime character or something, but in reality, many would make their avatar a picture of their genitals. (or someone else's genitals that are larger, that they can then claim as their own).
A report button, or an option to hide the other players avatar would suffice, if that is a major concern. Or even a validation after the upload.
Easy solutions for a non problem.
But that is just me.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A report button, or an option to hide the other players avatar would suffice, if that is a major concern. Or even a validation after the upload.
Easy solutions for a non problem.
But that is just me.
Validation is fine I guess, but some would probably eventually get through, I really dont care either, but it kinda is a big deal, since its a device targeted at children....

Last edited by Ericthegreat,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Themes don't cause bans as far as I'm aware, it's literally using LayeredFS and themes aren't reported as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey