Avatool - Homebrew Tool to Change Avatars

This is a quick tool I threw together in my free time the last two days to make changing avatars to custom ones easier for myself. It works by terminating the account service on your Switch which will lead to a crash. While I have had 0 problems testing it, it does write to system save data, which some might consider risky. Also, guaranteed ban online. You've been warned.

Avatars are 256x256 JPG files. Place them in the folder sdmc:/avatar/. Avatool will only see files with the extension '.jpg'
Once on the main selection screen:
  • L and R change the targeted avatar image
  • Up and Down control the file menu
  • A will overwrite the target with the selected source image
If the write was successful, you will see the target image change. Reboot and it should show on the home menu and profile screens.

Keep in mind this isn't supposed to be anything fancy.

avatool.jpg

https://github.com/J-D-K/Avatool/releases

Last edited by JK_,

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this change the avatar online and get you banned? Or just locally on the system.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
If you want to be safe don't do it. It overwrites them on your switch but there's a chance they could get uploaded to Nintendo. I don't really know for sure.

battleunit1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this stil work as of September 2021? My switch has been banned since 2019 for piracy, Im assuming changing your profile picture is just worthy of a console ban and not an account one, right?

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this stil work as of September 2021? My switch has been banned since 2019 for piracy, Im assuming changing your profile picture is just worthy of a console ban and not an account one, right?
If your system is already banned and you can't access anything from Nintendo, you'll be fine. It won't even be able to connect for them to find out.
Try it out and let us know.
Try not bumping old threads with useless posts and let us know how that goes.

Reactions: hippy dave
General chit-chat
Help Users
    Omeg @ Omeg: RIP