Matsuyama

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
. . .

. . I'm not sure if this has been asked of before. . . but would it be possible to enlarge the Width size for avatars. . ? Just at least make the Max size up to 100.

. . I understand if it's not possible because it might deform the page, or take up more time to load the page, etc.

. . If this is just SPAM, someone with rights please lock this topic immediately.

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It is indeed VERY good. And I'll speak to the admin on this -- I personally would love it (my av is optimized for 100/97, actually), and 100 isn't unreasonable on this forum.

Or we could skin it so that the avatar section is flexible... but that may not go over well since we all like GBATemp's look as it stands.

-Tempest out.-

square

The Professor
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nice

Edit- Tempest says this is Spam, So I edit. Dancing swords is a fun game for GBA. Also with Cable Sigs don't do anything. There is also an option to not view sigs and ava's in a member options so to increase thier speed. No Forum member should complain about them. They choose to view them. B)

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Posts like the above two are considered spam.

Be warned. Add stuff to the conversation or don't post at all.

Typically, if you can get a paragraph or so, then you're good to go.

Anyway, back on topic. Is 100x100 an unreasonable dimension set for anyone? And I think there should be a filesize limit if there isn't already one for the 56k'ers (I haven't yet tested if there is one).

-Tempest out.-

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think 100 x 100 will not be a problem. I use a 56K at home and rarely have problems with AV sizes. Sig sizes are the typical slowdown on my computer.

Matsuyama

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
. . .

. . Well I don't think the Length Max size is 100. Mine is 120. And the Max for Width is 80. As I said before, I think the reason for the Max size of the Width is because it might disorient the page if it went any higher.

. . I agree about the size of the pictures. Having a picture up to 500 KB in my opinion is ridiculously big. Take my signature for example. It's only 40 some KB with animation.

. . Oh, and if you have a picture that is very big, make sure you convert it to a .jpg or .jpeg (.gif if it has animation.) If it's .bmp, you got a problem.

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I know about the lack of a length restriction, but on the other hand, the width restriction's something unusual. My avatar's 80 wide, but my NAME is something much longer, and it still fits without resizing the page. There shouldn't be a problem with 100 width.

By the way, I agree about the optimization. All the pics I use in my every post are a total of 16k. (I have been known to jam 56ks with my essay posts, though...). I'm also impressed a fair bit by you already -- so few people start off their early postcount with complete sentences and proper spelling/grammar. Congratulations.

-Tempest out.-

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The avatar size doesn't seem to matter anyway since some people take a huge image and just link it it as their avatar therefore you are loading the full image and not a small on. Besides, look at Tempest's name, it's longer then the avatar limit so it should be no problem.

Luse

Now with more MOOSE!!!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd like to see the size increase as well, I've made so many ava's that lose so much simply by the size restrictions. And that Sig is great, it's too bad the game was so bland...

likk

Trophies
Website
www.cmgsccc.com
XP
Country
United States
Is 100x100 an unreasonable dimension set for anyone? And I think there should be a filesize limit if there isn't already one for the 56k'ers (I haven't yet tested if there is one).
100x100 is in no way unreasonable. There is plenty of room in the user section of the post, so it won't stretch the page at all. I have my av size at 150x150 on my forum and theres no change in the layout, so there wouldn't be any problem there.

*waves at Zero*

Wasaaaaaap!

-likk

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heh, Hey Zero!!! Yeah nice sig, lol!

Anyway I'm on 56k and I don't really have any problems with page loading...it's a lot faster than most places.

Also as TS said I don't see why we the width can't be 100 as the table for the user info is larger than 100 px in any user, hence the increased size wouldn't have any effect except for a tiny increase in loading times which as square mentioned avartars can be disabled anyway.

I know a 20 px increase doesn't sound like much, but it is!

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This seems fair enough and shouldn't cause the board any problems.

Custom avatar size changed to 100 x 140 (width x height).

We will at least try this for a few weeks, if it does cause any problems I will change it back (unlikely though).

SeZMehK

The Wielder of the Keyblade
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol @ shaunj66's ava lol nice work man
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.