Hardware Automatic system updates?

JohanX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I enable Street Pass or some other feature on my 3DS, so I have to worry about new system updates being automatically applied?

I have an Acekard and do not want updates applied until the Acekard firmware has been updated to support the new 3DS firmware

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, at the most, the system will give you some random content like a video or two. Updates are not automatic and the system has to inform you about them first.

JohanX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Nope, at the most, the system will give you some random content like a video or two. Updates are not automatic and the system has to inform you about them first.
Cool - Thanks!

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nano351 said:
Slyakin said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_system_software

why's automatic updates listed as a feature in the latest firmware then ?:|
Technically, there is "updates", but those are in the form of SpotPass information. You don't actually update your system.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
From what I read into it is it will send the update to your 3DS but you have to say YES to the update. If you don't say YES then it wont update, but it will be downloaded to it already.

They cant automatically update it. Thats illegal. It's your device as you paid for it and they cant force you to do anything to it without your authorization first. They will have to inform you of the update and you will at least have to agree to the update before it will install.

I"m guessing it'll tell you there is an update without you checking. It'll probably come in the form of a notification telling you to update like the Wii does.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
NakedFaerie said:
They cant automatically update it. Thats illegal. It's your device as you paid for it and they cant force you to do anything to it without your authorization first. They will have to inform you of the update and you will at least have to agree to the update before it will install.

tell that to sony, they do that anyway and brick people's system, sony don't care if it's illegal or not, as for nintendo, no one knows what will happen with future firmware updates but in the notification part it clearly says

QUOTE"the ability to receive content via spotpass automatically and free of charge from thousands of supported public wifi access points across europe, as well as the ability to receive future system software updates automatically"

no where in that paragraph does it say that they give you a choice to download the firmware update it says it it will update automatically by itself.

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You leaving the wifi on/the system in sleepmode is you knowingly accepting that the system may be updated. Also, how is it illegal for them to do that? There is no detrimental effects to the system from being updated to a new firmware unless it's blocking your unlicensed third party devices. Although, it is unlikely they'd do an update automatically when the system is running on the battery due to the risk of bricking from unexpected power loss.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
chris888222 said:
They will prompt you whether or not you accept to update.

It's not exactly automatic.
^this he's right. it downloads it automaticly but it doesnt install it til you press "yes" (thats how it is for me anyways)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over