Autoboot media player to boot movies from USB loader

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by VashTS, Nov 13, 2011.

1. VashTS
    OP

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    I think it would be cool to have movie forwarder iso's in my USB Loader. I had a look into MPlayerCEs google code page but I don't know what I'm looking at. I would imagine its not too difficult to add in. I understand it would have to compiled each time per movie, but still would be really cool to have a couple movies in there.

What would be the best way to do this? Loading from network source of course, but I don't know how realistic that would be. This would save space on USB. If anyone wants to look into this please post any info here and let me know, I am going to research as much as I can.

2. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    While this project is far beyond me, if anybody does doe this, I suggest you take a look at WiiXplorer's code. If you open a media file from WiiXplorer, it can be opened by MPlayer CE or WiiMC.

3. jj-kwik

Member jj-kwik GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It might be easier to just modify wiimc, mplayer or geexbox's boot.dol to autoboot video's with a certain name. (It's possible to do this with the gx emulators and certain roms, so why not the media players.) The only issue with this would be compiling a .dol for every movie you want to display then converting it to an iso to be displayed in any usbloader. Wii games have disc ID's, that's how the loaders know which covers to pull from gametdb. With no clear way to identify the actual movie/tv show in terms of an ID, there would be no actual way to determine which cover to display. The covers could always be added manually I suppose. It would also be cool to have it display in our gamertags. But like I mentioned above, it would require pulling the covers from an external source.

I don't even know if what I just typed made any sense to all of you. I'm tired. :/

4. VashTS
    OP

United States
    that does make sense. movies dont have a naming convention. i figured this would have to be very personal, meaning each person would need to set up their own stuff. covers would have to be added manually or maybe with a simple pc app.

now i want to find those forwarders! any links you got? i've searched but not found much about it.

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure MPlayer CE will automatically play a file passed as an argument (I'd guess this is almost definitely how WiiXplorer does it), I guess WiiMC may do so too.

6. jj-kwik

Member jj-kwik GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I'll send you a pm.

7. VashTS
    OP

United States
    is this done by editing the source or just patching the .dol? if its by editing the source i'd be lost, i've looked through the mplayerce code but can't even find where it loads a file. i fail at coding lol. thanks for the info jj, will look into it more.