• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Austria first country to make Covid vaccine mandatory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a Red Dwarf quote. I guess you're not much of a sci-fi fan.
Regardless of the reference, you've suggested at least twice that vaccines are potentially dangerous in a way that isn't at all supported by the science. That was my point.

Reactions: Xzi

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Regardless of the reference, you've suggested at least twice that vaccines are potentially dangerous in a way that isn't at all supported by the science. That was my point.
I'm not the doctor in the video and it's not my postulation. I even said I didn't think it was plausible in my previous response to the person who posted about "DNA altering". However, having watched the video I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the virus could enter nuclei and disrupt DNA strands. The mechanism by which that could happen could be extrapolated to the mRNA vaccine but it's not a particularly compelling hypothesis without any experimental data. You would think it could easily be shown in vitro if it was the case.

I'm much more interested in the implications for how the virus works to cause rapid cellular destruction.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not the doctor in the video and it's not my postulation. I even said I didn't think it was plausible in my previous response to the person who posted about "DNA altering". However, having watched the video I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the virus could enter nuclei and disrupt DNA strands. The mechanism by which that could happen could be extrapolated to the mRNA vaccine but it's not a particularly compelling hypothesis without any experimental data. You would think it could easily be shown in vitro if it was the case.

I'm much more interested in the implications for how the virus works to cause rapid cellular destruction.
You are the one who has repeatedly made the bullshit claim that the vaccines may be unsafe in this way. The fact that you "aren't the doctor in the video," or you responded to a different post saying the vaccines don't directly alter one's DNA, are irrelevant.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are the one who has repeatedly made the bullshit claim that the vaccines may be unsafe in this way. The fact that you "aren't the doctor in the video," or you responded to a different post saying the vaccines don't directly alter one's DNA, are irrelevant.
Yeah, yeah. My mistake for trying to talk to you like a person. I'll go back to thinking of you as a bot.

Reactions: tabzer

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, yeah. My mistake for trying to talk to you like a person. I'll go back to thinking of you as a bot.
I don't care how you think of me as long as you aren't pulling things out of your ass and acting as though they're legitimate safety concerns.

Edit: And in the future, own your posts. Posting a video doesn't deflect responsibility for posting the video.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you stop referring to my ass, it's highly inappropriate in this setting.
Sure, that's fine, but I'm not the only pulling things out of it in front of everyone.

My point is that your concerns are conspiratorial nonsense, and they have no basis in science.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I asked a question about what I considered to be the logical conclusion to your last post, so no, it isn't a strawman by any definition.

It's a strawman, by the definition. Your considerations aren't very important to me, nor relevent to what I actually said. If there is something I said that you are critical of, please point it out. Calling me an anti-vaxer to bait me, in the absence of an actual argument, is a strawman. We can argue back and forth about this, but it will not touch a point that anyone ever made.

As a refresher, I asked you to tag me so I would be more likely to see it and respond to your posts (intentionally not doing so seems cowardly or dodgy to me), and then you said that would "defeat the purpose of your posts." That implies that the purpose of your posts is to avoid criticism from those you're attempting to criticize. That isn't how people who hold tenable positions tend to act.

I'd have tagged you if I wanted to talk to you. I didn't want to talk to you. I still don't. Bye.

Reactions: Coto and sl0ps

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a strawman, by the definition. Your considerations aren't very important to me, nor relevent to what I actually said. If there is something I said that you are critical of, please point it out. Calling me an anti-vaxer to bait me, in the absence of an actual argument, is a strawman. We can argue back and forth about this, but it will not touch a point that anyone ever made.

I'd have tagged you if I wanted to talk to you. I didn't want to talk to you. I still don't. Bye.
You've posted things that can be fairly characterized as anti-vax. It was not to bait you, and it can't be a strawman if it is your position. I'm happy to hear, however, that you've maybe changed your position and are no longer anti-vax.

If you don't want to talk to me, don't respond to my posts. You're also the one who brought me into this conversation by talking about me, lol.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
However, having watched the video I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the virus could enter nuclei and disrupt DNA strands.

It's possible for virus to modify DNA, I don't know if covid 19 is doing it though.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161128151050.htm

When viruses infect us, they can embed small chunks of their genetic material in our DNA. Although infrequent, the incorporation of this material into the human genome has been occurring for millions of years. As a result of this ongoing process, viral genetic material comprises nearly 10 percent of the modern human genome. Over time, the vast majority of viral invaders populating our genome have mutated to the point that they no longer lead to active infections. But, as scientists funded by the National Institutes of Health have demonstrated, they are not entirely dormant.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: AlexMCS

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's possible for virus to modify DNA, I don't know if covid 19 is doing it though.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161128151050.htm

When viruses infect us, they can embed small chunks of their genetic material in our DNA. Although infrequent, the incorporation of this material into the human genome has been occurring for millions of years. As a result of this ongoing process, viral genetic material comprises nearly 10 percent of the modern human genome. Over time, the vast majority of viral invaders populating our genome have mutated to the point that they no longer lead to active infections. But, as scientists funded by the National Institutes of Health have demonstrated, they are not entirely dormant.
That looks like an interesting read so I'll be sure to get to it tonight at some point, but I have heard the hypothesis before that these viral interactions are what cause autoimmune diseases.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by AmandaRose,

sl0ps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've posted things that can be fairly characterized as anti-vax. It was not to bait you, and it can't be a strawman if it is your position. I'm happy to hear, however, that you've maybe changed your position and are no longer anti-vax.

If you don't want to talk to me, don't respond to my posts. You're also the one who brought me into this conversation by talking about me, lol.
Allow me to preface by acknowledging my lack of decorum.

You're really coming across like a jackass.

Reactions: tabzer

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allow me to preface by acknowledging my lack of decorum.

You're really coming across like a jackass.
I don't see anything about the post you quoted that can be reasonably described as "coming off as a jackass." If you would like to talk about it more, please send me a PM. It's off topic.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is just weird that both the vaccine and covid has become a government death conspiracy. At least chose one, since you only need one of those for that conspiracy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It is just weird that both the vaccine and covid has become a government death conspiracy. At least chose one, since you only need one of those for that conspiracy.
What’s actually weird about this whole situation is that the approach towards the virus flipped 180 over time. Before COVID-19 became a global pandemic, the “right-wing conspiracy theorists” were warning everybody about a virus hailing from China that is capable of wiping out millions and the western press dismissed it as “just a flu, bro”. Now, over a year later, the “right-wing conspiracy theorists” are complaining about everybody overreacting to “just a flu, bro” while the western press is panicking as if this thing was an airborne Ebola. Both of those approaches are equally stupid, but the fact that the two sides, the ultra liberals and the ultra conservatives, completely passed by each other without ever meeting anywhere in the middle, is pretty funny. Makes your noggin’ go jogging, at no point was anyone ever “chill”, which makes me question whether a sensible middle ground even exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night