• Views 1,231
  • Replies 5

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Mad this world i say ,europe is made up from the same cast of people and no voice is heart. untill we awake from slumper we will be under their influence

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So pretty much some cigarette company is suing the Australian government for $50 million because they're unhappy with the cigarette plain packaging legislation. This is so very, very fucked up.

A handful of billionaires are suing the government (which is already in debt) because they are greedy motherfuckers who already have more money than most of us could ever hope for and they want even more. And this comes at the cost of the 99% of Australians who are just ordinary middle class people.

About 50 years ago the cigarette companies told us (well I wasn't alive back then) that smoking is good for you. They should have been charged with murder. Nope, they got away with it.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australia-faces-50m-legal-bill-in-cigarette-plain-packaging-fight-with-philip-morris-20150728-gim4xo.html?&utm_source=social&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=nc&eid=socialn:fac-14omn0013-optim-nnn:nonpaid-25062014-social_traffic-all-organicpost-nnn-smh-o&campaign_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_facebook
Did you even read the article? They're not suing Australia. The amount of money that Australia is spending in court for these cases is soon set to reach $50m. Suing for $50m is child's play when it comes to multinational corporations. I'm against cigarette companies the vast majority of the time (and anti-drug organizations almost as much), but to play the devil's advocate, I haven't read Australia's free trade laws (and I highly doubt you have either), so I can't really say whether or not what Phillip Morris is doing is right or not.

D

Deleted User

OP
I read the article, but a bit too emotionally it seems. Ooops.

I request for this thread to be deleted

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
From what I've read about the case, Australia has already won the local and several international cases, but Phillip Morris just moves to another country that exports to Australia and files a new law suit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup