Australian Capital Goes R18+

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And here it is; the hotly contested R18+ rating (a rough equivalent to the ESRB's M) is finally coming to Australia. Or at least, in the capitol of Canberra... and in legislative form. But hey, progress.

The ACT, a self-governing enclave within New South Wales that encompasses the Australian capital city of Canberra, is introducing legislation this week that will implement R18+ ratings for videogames. It will be the first Australian territory to make the move following federal legislation creating the classification, which will come into effect at the beginning of 2013.

"This is part of a national reform that will allow adult gamers to view R18+ material in the same way that can already be done for film and printed material," said ACT Attorney General Simon Corbell. "But at the same time it will also provide protection to parents and children by giving parents better guidance about what material is and is not appropriate for people under the age of 18."
Source: The Escapist

Even more good news: The article goes on to mention that some games that were previously banned because they didn't fit the MA15+ category could be reintroduced under the new rating.

Now of course, this is only one part of the very large countrinent (which is what I will call it from now on) and it's still only legislation. It may not pass, and even if it does, the rest of the nation will still have to contend with the current model.

Look on the bright side, though. It's a nice, symbolic step forward, with these politicians stepping forward and demonstrating that they're finally read to tackle the issue. Plus, if this is successful, it could spur similar moves across the rest of Australia. Beyond that, once the R18+ rating is added nationally, us foreigners will have to stop making fun of your rating system and return to the Crocodile Dundee jokes (sorely lacking since the 1980's).

So yeah; Australian tempers, keep your fingers crossed.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country

Zekrom_cool

I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu
Trophies
Website
compfaqz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
India
I thought that was supposed to arrive this year.
It was suppose to but it got delayed because of well i'm sure you probably can guess.
It had to.
Ummm...it was actually government but yea we been wanting this for years now and atleast its finally get a move on.
Some good stuff after quite some time is good. Good that its finally got a move on now.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought that was supposed to arrive this year.
It was suppose to but it got delayed because of well i'm sure you probably can guess.
It had to.
Ummm...it was actually government but yea we been wanting this for years now and atleast its finally get a move on.
Some good stuff after quite some time is good. Good that its finally got a move on now.
Still I hope this goes country-wide sooner than next year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol