Australia Censors South Park: The Stick of Truth

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Oh my God, you inconvenienced Kenny! You braggarts!

:arrow:Player Attack

And, if you're interested, here's the ESRB's... illuminating description of the game.

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Sounds like the Australians just can't handle games that are bigger, longer, and uncut. You've really got to open up and relax, Aussies, because you're missing the full south porking here!

2. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Well, to my opinion.. Before you say anything.. I am not here to argument. I respect your preference and your opinion. They are doing the right things for a good reasons. I would not let my kids (I dont have one) to play nor watch South Park at all. A role model is a good parenting and a protection, that's all. It is called decent and love!

shakirmoledina likes this.
  3. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

How is censoring a game intended only for adult audiences protecting children?

Australia has an R18+ rating now. There's no need to censor content when only adults are allowed to purchase the game. If you're letting your young child experience South Park-anything, the problem isn't with South Park, it's with you being a bad parent.

4. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    South Park has never BEEN for kids. It's more of an "adult" cartoon, so really the censorship is quite pointless. Parents just need to do their job as parents and not let their kid play this game, rather than have it dumbed down and ruin the experience for the people old enough to actually handle the game.

EDIT: Ninja'd

5. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Yes, you are right that if you are letting your young child or a teenager kids experience South Park then you are a bad parent. Definitely true but a human being that created South Park is even badder than a bad parent. A human being that created South Park is simple a bad influence. If they want to make great South Park.. They shouldn't use this as sexual violence. It is not really necessarily.

Hells Malice,

Its free country and it is on TV. We made our decision and our chosen. Its not good. To me, it is unacceptable. It is like an temptation, thats why. Please just respect me and understand my point of view.

I do understand your preference and your point of view. A difference. That's fine. I am not shouting at you or criticizing you. I am telling you from what I see. :-)

That's my philosophy and my opinion. Thanks for sharing your opinions with me. Cheers!

6. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Umm, fuck you.

It's an Adult game. Just because some parents out there like you are stuck up and can't handle things being different than your tastes, doesn't mean that the rest of the people should have to suffer. Don't want your kid playing the game or watching the show? That's YOUR job.

7. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Are you trolling? You sound like some of those people in that Swapnote thread.

BTW Some teens can handle stuff like that.

8. XiTaU

XiTaU GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2008
    United States
    maybe they are censoring it so it doesnt need to go in the 18+ rating as parents are more likely to buy their kids a 15+ game rather then an 18+ game. If it comes out as a cut 18+ game it will be quite disappointing for the whole 18+ ruleing they put through not long ago.

9. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Wow.. What a harsh word. :(

10. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    It's not the creators fault that parents are stupid and incapable of managing the content their kids have access too. And adult consumers and those mature enough to handle the content shouldn't have to suffer the ignorance of those who censor products that have ratings for a reason.

11. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    "Intended for Adults" hardly means that only adults watch this show. Many children watch this show, and many parents don't care to prevent their child from viewing. Throw in the fact that they're making a video game? Plenty of kids will buy this. Good for Australia. I'm glad they're doing this.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    ITT
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes:

Anyways, seeing how Australia seems to be censor happy, that isn't all that surprising, though a little strange since they have an 18+ rating now...Huh.

Satangel, EZ-Megaman, Xexyz and 3 others like this.
  13. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    United States
    Las Vegas, NV
    We should be censoring things that are clearly for adults because "WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN"? It would be nice if folks realize that it's their job to keep their kids from shit like South Park, not a government agency. We shouldn't have to bubble-wrap everything just because children MIGHT get the opportunity to see it.

14. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Notice that the censored version is still rated "R18+" ("High impact crude humour, sex scenes and references to sexual violence "), so it's not completely neutered. The uncesored version would probably have been refused classification (effectively banned in Australia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games_in_Australia

15. azoreseuropa
    This message by azoreseuropa has been removed from public view by TwinRetro, Dec 17, 2013, Reason: There's no need to comment about who liked your post. off-topic..
    Dec 17, 2013
  16. Dork

Dork Newbie

HIGH

IMPACT

SEXUAL

VIOLENCE

17. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Whenever they got notes from the MPAA about the movie, they just put in something worse. And it worked. They should do that here.

18. Fluto

Fluto A potato in disguise

Apr 17, 2009
    The Moon
    We'll it looks like I'm importing.
    Since it's in a video game format it can't have these adult themes in it, you know, since the show also has it.

Satangel likes this.
  19. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Definitely, import this. Would be a waste of a game to not import it

20. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Or you know, teach your children why they can't say or do stuff on television and watch it with them if they really want to watch south park and play their games. Honestly most of my elementary school watched south park when it first aired when I was in 5th grade. Most kids handled it maturely..others not so much. Not all children are the same and treating them all like they are (even if they are your own kids) is one of the majorly wrong things with US educational system.

21. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm willing to wager that Australia's assault on free speech looked somewhat like this.