Aussie NSMB Wii pirate suffers $AU1.5 million fine

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeymachine

monkeymachine GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2006
    High profile leak. Check.
    Exorbitant fine. Check.
    Nonsense about super sophisticated technological forensics crap. Check.
    Sending the guy to jail is bad PR, a fine sounds better for the company image. Check.

You all do realise this all a PR exercise right?

So in light of that, the $1.5mil. figure is likely fabricated/exaggerated, since the out-of-court settlement is not on the public record.
    One would assume that he would take his chances in court if the real figure was really $1.5 MILLION dollars .

2. Maz7006

Maz7006 iSEXu

Aug 2, 2008
    Worst things worst they send you a warning not to do it again. You see your just downloading, that in itself is kind of harmful , but not as much as the person who gave you the means to do so. Just think of that way and this is basically why this guy got it bad.

3. asiekierka

asiekierka Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2007
    Poland
    Oh I tell you he probably works in the secret Nintendo laboratories now working on a way to secure others from leaking new games...

ON TOPIC: Wow, $1.5 million? ...

4. Sanderino

Sanderino I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone

Sep 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    the Netherlands
    I feel for that guy. His life is ruined. And shocking it was a GBATemp regular too. Why not let people donate money to the guy in some way?

5. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Dirty Weeb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    C-137
    wow...epic fail...

THIS is why release groups have secret Identity's on the internet..

like Caravan, or PSPNeiRD,VENOM, inD, or Xenophobia (i can go on)

and they NEVER. EVER. Show their faces online, or reveal who they are...

this person did...and they bragged about it...so they kinda deserved it for being stupid.

but I can gladly say I got some enjoyment from the release

and of course they see everything here, that is why they constantly keep 1-uping us and improving their anti-piracy technology...since we discuss about it and how to get AROUND it..they discuss with THEIR LEADERS on how we WON'T be able to get around it...it's a love hate relationship..because by this board, we reveal how we get around their technology...so they can constantly keep enforcing it and making it stronger by the input we give them....

so if nintendo is scanning this page for any more evidence....

GO FUCK YOURSELVES. The fans who made you great, you now forget..

GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T...(well that is taking it a little to far) [​IMG]

6. House Spider

House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Banned
    Apr 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    I never knew this was leaked and I bought the game. [​IMG]

7. Danny600kill

Danny600kill xD

Aug 3, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Manchester
    Lets just take this as a lesson,

* Its not a crime if you don't get caught

8. DCG

DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Schiedam
    I understood some of it (to lazy to read everything), but it looks to me that it is a funny exploit.

on topic again. I think it is realy realy stupid to post a picture of yourself on the internet when your e-mail can be backtraced to a forum/other account that is doing illigal stuff.

ps. chrisman01. what is that game called you use a mech from as your icon???

9. DrOctapu

DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    Hell.
    COMPLEX DIGITAL FORENSICS AMIRITE?

10. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    WTF, I thought it was him when I read this article, now I'm sure.....
    I already found a dumb move to post his receipt here, very dumb move which makes him pay for the rest of his life.

11. CuriousG

CuriousG GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    For all the people calling him an idiot for posting all the details, you're probably the same people praising him and calling him a hero for posting the game. Yet I didn't see anyone calling him an idiot then when he first posted that information. Easy to call someone out after the fact.

The guy got pinched and that's a shame but now you have all these "morons" piling on.

12. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Former Staff
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    The fans who made you great? Hmmm, I'm pretty sure it wasn't piracy who made the NES and the SNES great in our memories. Nor it was pirate copies which made Nintendo great.

[sarcasm]
    Yeah, Sega loved piracy! Especially with the Genesis, it loaded ROMs directly from 5.25" floppies! Not like that crappy SNES!
    ...wait
    [/sarcasm]

13. House Spider

Banned
    Apr 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    Im glad Nintendo lost out on money. But I feel sorry for this guy. We should like donate to him. [​IMG]

14. DrOctapu

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    Hell.
    They may be going through the seized computer's files, and they'd definitely check his personal messages, so send him a bunch of creepy ones saying you feel for him/other disturbing stuff like gorey stuff.

15. injected11

injected11 Crescent Fresh™

Jul 17, 2009
    United States
    Giving money to the guy that enabled you to deprive Nintendo of their cash is a sure-fire way to stay off Nintendo's radar.

If you support the guy, you're an idiot. Nintendo is defending their property and potential profits, and have every right to do so. If I had a business and someone else was using illegal means to distrubute my product without me seeing a cent for it, I'd DREAM about bleeding the guy for $1.5 mil. Nintendo just happens to have the means to do so.

16. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Zimbabwe
    Ragol
    I think this meme stands to reason
    [​IMG]

I added YaFaze on Facebook, does this mean YaFaze is completely dead now?

17. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Holy shit. thats all i have to say on the matter.

18. House Spider

Banned
    Apr 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    I didn't say they didn't have the right to protect their property. [​IMG]

19. DrOctapu

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    Hell.
    Uhh.... that sounds kind of hypocritical. Almost as if you were on their side, I mean, come on, 1.5 Million?! How much could they have lost that they weren't going to get in the first place?!

20. injected11

injected11 Crescent Fresh™

Jul 17, 2009
    United States
    In this case? I am on their side. This guy was a complete idiot, and deserved what he got. How much could they have lost? It must have been more than $1.5 mil, because that's the amount he agreed to pay to stay out of court. Had they taken him to court and used all their means to get everything they could, the total would be significantly higher, especially considering all the proof he pretty much gave them.

Piracy gets out of hand, and then pirates whine when the companies start striking back. Don't wanna get fined for over a million bucks? Stop screwing with a company's profit margin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.