Aussie NSMB Wii pirate suffers $AU1.5 million fine

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Dirty Weeb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    C-137
    maybe we should have a disclaimer like some ROM SITE I WENT TO. *cough*

in it...they mention about the bill clinton anti-piracy bill or something....but what is most important is that once you past this point...you have no legal powers...you cannot sue....maybe gbatemp should put that in its rule clause

2. WildWon

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    Not only for that, but NOW you want to blame the staff for NOT deleting something? Kinda rich. [​IMG] If people want to brag about something online, it's not our responsibility to save their ass. We are here to keep things flowing smoothly (as possible [​IMG]) and try to keep the air clean (free from smoke caused by flames *buh dum tss*)

Stupid people will be stupid. It's not our place to try and stop em, just ask em not to do it so often [​IMG]

PS: I'm not naming any one person as "stupid," this was a fully generalized statement.

3. gisel213

gisel213 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 2, 2007
    United States
    Delaware
    Damn Straight I totally agree +1 WildWon

4. VLinh

VLinh GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2008
    Canada
    That made my day hands down. You have to admit, their Wi-fi fails for Wii, doing nothing to improve it. They should of at least put Wi-fi into NSMB. I know the game was using the wii's full potiental. That is total BS, the graphics are the same as DS, and they couldnt at least put Wi-fi?

5. stanleyopar2000

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    C-137
    full clause here >

For controversial reasons, if you are affiliated with any government, ANTI-Piracy group or any other related group, or were formally a worker of one you CANNOT enter the download section, and CANNOT have access of its files. If you enter then you are not agreeing to these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) or company storing these files, and CANNOT prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this site which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this website.

a little late now for kongsnutz : /

"I hope Nintendo's next console will have a good security like the ps3 or something"

LOL the PS3 is hacked!

NO SYSTEM IS SAFE! xD

PS : 500th POST! [​IMG]

6. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    That has nothing to do with kongsnutz or this situation at all. He lives in Australlia for one.

US Laws don't mean squat there. But also that clause is to cover that website's ass (and is a shoddy job of it) not to protect users.

7. injected11

injected11 Crescent Fresh™

Jul 17, 2009
    United States
    Your're an idiot. That act is phony.

8. sfg

sfg GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2009
    United States
    Full clause? Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Privacy_Act

Maybe do some research next time?

9. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon

It's true that its not the staff's responsibility to babysit it's users, but this type of preventable stuff makes GBAtemp look like a bunch of warez kiddies. And brings a lot of attention negative attention here. But if thats the way the Admins want the site to be run then go for it.

10. stanleyopar2000

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    C-137
    full clause IN THE WEBSITE.

and I guess it does quite a shotty job of protecting it's users....

because IT DOESN'T EXIST.

11. SgtThom

SgtThom GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2009
    United States

To bad Sony barley make money of the hardware.

12. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 18, 2004
    The site already lists pirate releases and allows discussion of using them illegally. I think you are posting on the wrong site if you want to complain about this.

13. WildWon

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    There's all kinds of preventable actions that could have been done for all kinds of situations, but this falls into the "20/20 hind-site" category. Now, if GBAtemp were for Warez Kiddies, we wouldn't still be operating. We would have been closed down long ago, as has happened with many other sites. So it's obvious that the admins don't want that, and have done a good job of keeping it that way [​IMG]

14. Nimbus

Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

Nov 1, 2009
    Probably being lazy.
    So what you're saying is that we exist in the grey area between legitimacy, and illegitimacy, right?

15. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Anti Switch Owners

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Well as much as I feel for kongsnutz and appreciate what he did, there should be a lesson here for everyone who wants to follow in his footsteps and dump games.

Do not give into the doubters and feel obliged to prove them wrong, and do not try and make a claim to fame and rub what you did into the game publishers faces. At the end of the day he is solely responsible for what happened to him, nobody else is.

Although kongsnutz's behaviour was questionable, and pretty reckless, many people here benefited from what he did. He however is the only person who has to pay the price for his actions, but that is the risk you take when you do what pretty much all of us do. Whether it be dumping or just downloading games and other copyrighted materials all of us are at risk. So you can criticize him, the sites he was affiliated with and be judgemental about all of this as much as you like, but just remember it could easily happen to any of you too.

16. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 18, 2004
    Theres no grey area, discussion is perfectly legal. If you post something self-incriminating its your responsibility.

17. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    well said p1ngpong... its a risk he took... not our fault

18. junker_man32

junker_man32 Banned

Banned
    Jan 21, 2009
    United States
    hahaha..says alot about you gbatempers..................

19. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Says a lot about you too. You're a GBAtemper, so I suggest you shut your pie hole and stop posting the same worthless thing over and over again. You did this a page or two ago. Clearly you're just a horrible troll.

20. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    haha... fuck you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.