Aussie NSMB Wii pirate suffers $AU1.5 million fine

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xzxero

xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

Jul 18, 2008
    United States
    SB
    wow so basically kongsnutz pretty much bought all of us a NSMB copy~!

thanks!

edit: sarcasm of course

2. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Ugh, I'm sick of this.

Everyone calling him a "dick" or some other dumb shit. Do you have any fucking sense of respect? Not only did he dump the game, which all of you were giddy about, but he paid the price. And a 1.3m AU dollars price is a hefty one that you don't just recover from. So I'd thank my lucky stars the game got a one week dump and shut my fucking hole.

I think Nintendo is just a big load of shit. Your game sold over 4 million copies in what, 3 months so far, and you're complaining that this is detracting from sales? Shut up. You just ruined some guys life. I understand that it's bad to pirate, but with THIS fine? Ridiculous. This show of force from Nintendo won't do anything outside of getting them terrible relations among here. A bunch of fuckbags.

3. Mantis41

Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 3, 2009
    United States
    earth
    I agree with you when it comes to N$, M$ and all the other big corporate f@ck bags out there. But if one of Robin Hood's Merry Men starts parading up and down the streets of Nottingham saying "look what I just stole and by the way we're all hanging out at gbatmep," then like it or not, he or she is a dick.

4. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    I love how media companies are now expecting people to fill in their "projected sales" which are nothing more than guesswork numbers, and scapegoating it under the premise that piracy is the reason those copies were not sold.

Nintendo must be getting desperate, After my ds lite hinge cracked due to their cheap and faulty plastic reinforcements, I had to haggle with a support tech to get it fixed cheaper than their original $70.00 quote down to $20.00 for their own engineering and design flaws.

I remember when they used to give a shit about their customers and didn't expect the end user to pay for their mistakes. Stay classy Nintendo.

P.s. I burned a copy, then actually bought it once the retarded street date came. Maybe they should stop telling us when we can buy things once they're in the store and we'll stop downloading leaks?

Street dates help piracy more than anything.

5. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States

i call for a nintendo boycott!
    let's see how much sales they can lose for their harsh punishment

6. sfg

sfg GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2009
    United States
    Pretty much like the statement on their AP site where they say that emulators hurt a business that produces "billions of dollars". It's their right, of course, to protect their property, but statements like these make them look like greedy bastards.
    Or they simply adopt this smug attitude on purpose. After all, pirates aren't very humble about their deeds either.

7. junker_man32

junker_man32 Banned

Banned
    Jan 21, 2009
    United States
    what a great way to fucking show urself gbatemp...an arrested pirate as all the tempers are..says lots about the forum.

8. giantpune

giantpune GBAtemp Addict

Apr 10, 2009
    United States
    the reason ninety got $1.5M is easy to see. check out google maps for the address listed for kongsnutz. ninety got 1 look at that mansion and their jaws dropped.

9. TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Feb 10, 2009
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Looks like an ordinary suburban neighbourhood to me.... though the architecture and some of that foliage isn't what I'm accustomed to seeing up in my freezing country (damn it). Isn't this guy only 23 or something, anyway? It's probably his parents house, and either way for someone to be able to afford to cough up a 1.3M USD fine without really feeling it, they'd need to be the type to own a much more expensive home than the one Google streets is showing me.

10. sfg

sfg GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, not THAT impressive. A nice looking house, sure, but hardly one that screams: I'VE GOTZ MILLIONZ!!!

11. TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Feb 10, 2009
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    It all makes Nintendo's claims of "high tech" forensic techniques pretty laughable, though. With the address provided by http://whois.domaintools.com/ and Google Streets, even the most dimwitted person on the planet could track this guy in a matter of minutes.

12. Whizz

Whizz When things don't go right, go left.

Nov 20, 2007
    Netherlands
    Turn around...
    And that's why sceners tend to keep a low profile.

Sucks for this guy though, and the 1.5 mil fine makes it that he suffers more from his piracy than Nintendo does. Sure, they may miss out on the 1.5 mill Ninty's a big company. I don't think this guy has a million and a half lying around.

13. WiiCrazy

WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

May 8, 2008
    Istanbul
    What he did was illegal and deserved a punishment. But 1.5m is just plain ridicilous.
    I don't think he caused a damage that costed that much to Ninty.

Btw, there are unethical but legal ways to make a company actually lose money. What if we all go to every major gaming site and review ninty's games as crap? An act completely legal and an effective way to make the company lose on sales of said games.

What he did was illegal but this poor guy didn't do this act with the intention of making Nintendo lose money. There comes the absurd laws into play, how a country would let his countryman get crushed by a giant corporation? Result of the on growing capitalism, globalization and stuff... If he was in China then Ninty wouldn't even get any near to him. And where does Ninty produce all of it's stuff? Yes in China, because it's a lot cheaper. Do they / Can they punish the same acts there? No way... They are sucking the ***** of Chinese instead.

So, starting from the actual crap titles (Wii play, Excite truck, Excite bots) of Nintendo let's play this game... Maybe we can sum the loss of sales up to the total fine laid on this poor individual...

ps: take wii play out, it's already as down as it can get [​IMG]

14. RPG Hacker

RPG Hacker GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Kaperich
    That's one of the reasons why I haven't pirated a game lately (except for maybe some really old games that aren't sold anymore). Another reason is the fact that I want to support the creators of great games. After all I one day want to make games myself.

15. Klarkykat

Klarkykat GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2009
    Oh jesus. I wouldn't worry too much about nintendo and their profit margins. They haven't much of a problem there. If you look hard enough at the situation i don't think that the guy did deserve what he got. The guy shouldn't have done it. Everyone knows that. But it's not like he's a 'serial offender' with this kind of thing. And if he didn't leak it someone else would have. It's an unfortunate situation. And nintendo could make other attempts at stopping this kind of thing in other ways instead of pinning out one person with a ridiculous fine to scare everyone else off. I just hope all of this is just for PR sake. 1.5 million is life ruining.

16. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Banned
    Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    +1

17. --=ZerO=--

--=ZerO=-- GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2006
    Gambia, The
    ...we should let him speak, shouldn't we?

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=190628&st=15

18. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    so they tracked him down via GBAtemp...? Tempers,it looks like we have a Ninty spy on our hands........ [​IMG]

most of us here are doing illegal things.....xD

19. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    He makes the house I inherited look like shit.

20. --=ZerO=--

--=ZerO=-- GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2006
    Gambia, The
    No, he had his own Wii hacking site running... See the link in my post before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.