ATV Wild Ride (DS) announced- new Renegade Kid game

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following up on the success of Renegade Kid's previous DS efforts (Dementium 1/2 and Moon), Renegade Kid is working on their fourth Nintendo DS game. It's a departure from their usual first person shooter genre. Now they are creating a fast paced racing game called ATV Wild Ride. First trailer for the game below. [/p]

Renegade Kid had been teasing a new game announcement since a week or two ago. As usual with their engines, the graphics are a superb example of what can be done on the DS. The environments at least are far larger in scale than their previous games. From what we've heard in the past, Renegade Kid eventually intends to develop games for the 3DS, but for the time being it's good to see developers still taking interest in the original DS.

- 24 tracks
- US, Thailand, England, Russia, Canada and Mexico
- four-player multiplayer (unknown whether this means wifi or local, until further notice, assume local only)
- 60 frames-per-second
- perform dozens of "wild" tricks
- "fast-paced arcade racing game for the DS with the Renegade Engine."
- "there are only a few developers and publishers out there willing to put all of their effort into making great DS titles these days, which is a pity."\
- due out Jan. 2011 [/p]
icon11.gif
Source

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the trailer is definitely lol worthy.

the game though....eh. im kinda done with my ds. Even okamiden isnt getting me very excited.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
It looks pretty bad... Kind of like a bad Motorstorm ripoff.
QUOTE said:
there are only a few developers and publishers out there willing to put all of their effort into making great DS titles these days, which is a pity."
Why would anyone want to invest money on a console nearing the end of its lifespan on a crappy racing title that nobody will buy? Not to mention there are far better alternatives of that genre on the same platform, like Mario Kart DS.

aber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I didn't go for their other titles (FPS on the DS just aren't my cup of tea), I think this one looks pretty darn sweet. I've tried the other ATV titles on the DS and they are choppy as hell and look and play like shite as a result. Awful...all of them. This looks like it could be at least PSOne quality in terms of visuals, which looks pretty darn good when shrunk down to the small screens. If they can deliver the 60 frames per second and have Wi-Fi muliplayer, this could be a nice surprise for the normally dry winter release months.

Surprisingly, the DS has several decent racing titles that don't contain the words "Mario" or "Kart". Trackmania, GRiD, Dirt 2, & Race Driver: Create and Race are just a few off the top of my head. Hopefully they can deliver another.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mesiskope said:
60 fps cause the game looks like butt.
I hope you intend to explain that statement, because that lacks a little something we call "sense". 60fps is the ideal speed that games should be programmed to run at. It means the gameplay is about as smooth as it can get. If you think the game "looks like butt", it's in no way because of the framerate...
glare.gif

Game looks similar to a PS1 game, though without that odd polygon shaking that 3D PS1 games have, as well as a far smoother framerate (i don't recall any fully 3D ps1 games that ran at 60fps). I'd say it's close to N64-caliber, smoother textures and framerate, but with grainier graphics. At any rate, it's looking like they are working on making an ATV game on the DS with competent physics, which is something i doubt any other ATV game on DS has done.

Kit_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I for one am not a huge fan of ATV style games but this looks fun. And considering most of us won't pay for it. Why not?
I am curious how many truly awesome DS games we will have to look forward to after the 3DS hits.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I'm gonna check it out for my love toward Renegade Kid. Not gonna buy it like Dementium though, too generic.
Looks like the multiplayer will be local, that's a con too.

It looks like a nice game. Nice use of the DS capabilities like the other titles made with Renegade Engine. Unfortunately, a complete waste of talent from the guys at RK.

And shit they make just too much noise about their games running "at silk smooth 60 fps".

dan80315 said:
Kinda disappointed Renegade Kid's last DS game will be some ATV racing game...

A while ago, there were two more DS games announced on their website (yes, after the cancellation of Maximillian stuff and the release of DII)

QUOTE(yuyuyup @ Dec 7 2010, 03:27 AM) Moon sucked way hard in the ass.

Nowai

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
granville said:
Mesiskope said:
I hope you intend to explain that statement, because that lacks a little something we call "sense". 60fps is the ideal speed that games should be programmed to run at. It means the gameplay is about as smooth as it can get. If you think the game "looks like butt", it's in no way because of the framerate...
glare.gif

Game looks similar to a PS1 game, though without that odd polygon shaking that 3D PS1 games have, as well as a far smoother framerate (i don't recall any fully 3D ps1 games that ran at 60fps). I'd say it's close to N64-caliber, smoother textures and framerate, but with grainier graphics. At any rate, it's looking like they are working on making an ATV game on the DS with competent physics, which is something i doubt any other ATV game on DS has done.

DS is two times more powerful than PS1.

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
granville said:
Mesiskope said:
glare.gif
I don't think Mesiskope was saying that 60FPS looks like butt. He meant they only achieved 60FPS because the polygon count and texture resolution were low.
However, I disagree that the game looks like butt. In reality, it looks just like any other ATV game on the DS; kinda ugly but ok. The 60FPS, I guess, would set it a bit above the others, graphically. I must admit that I'm slightly disappointed that they chose to do this game. It seems like a waste of what little time they have left to develop DS games. But hey, as long as they're happy with what they're doing, good for them.

(That last sentence wasn't supposed to be sarcastic)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Juanmatron

Where'd you pull that figure from? I hope not clock speed, because that's hardly a good case. DS has a few really impressive games, but not much that i'd say couldn't be done on PS1. DS tends to be capable of a higher framerate in general, but can't render as much geometry onscreen at once.

The game looks like nearly every other similar DS game i've seen in terms of polygons and textures btw, i'd have a hard time imagining what you think looks GOOD on the DS in terms of 3D if not a Renegade Kid game...

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hahha the vid is so funny xD
totally made me laugh at the point where they say:

+ ''and it runs 60 frames per seconds..''
- ''what does that mean?..... 60 frames per second?''
+ ''I dooon't knooow......''

like wtf xD hahah
the dull voice of the DS guy is funny xD
yay.gif

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
granville said:
@Juanmatron

Where'd you pull that figure from? I hope not clock speed, because that's hardly a good case. DS has a few really impressive games, but not much that i'd say couldn't be done on PS1. DS tends to be capable of a higher framerate in general, but can't render as much geometry onscreen at once.

The game looks like nearly every other similar DS game i've seen in terms of polygons and textures btw, i'd have a hard time imagining what you think looks GOOD on the DS in terms of 3D if not a Renegade Kid game...

It is twice as potent in terms of CPU, memory and 3D chipset power.

So, if you ask me "You really think DS is twice as potent as PSX?" my answer is: I'm sure.

About the game. Looks freaking good. If they add Wi-Fi will be awesome.

QUOTE(Eighteen @ Dec 7 2010, 04:19 PM) Hahha the vid is so funny xD
totally made me laugh at the point where they say:

+ ''and it runs 60 frames per seconds..''
- ''what does that mean?..... 60 frames per second?''
+ ''I dooon't knooow......''

like wtf xD hahah
the dull voice of the DS guy is funny xD
yay.gif

You must get it because it runs 60 frames per second!
rofl.gif

Mesiskope

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Freudian Lemur said:
granville said:
Mesiskope said:
glare.gif
I don't think Mesiskope was saying that 60FPS looks like butt. He meant they only achieved 60FPS because the polygon count and texture resolution were low.
However, I disagree that the game looks like butt. In reality, it looks just like any other ATV game on the DS; kinda ugly but ok. The 60FPS, I guess, would set it a bit above the others, graphically. I must admit that I'm slightly disappointed that they chose to do this game. It seems like a waste of what little time they have left to develop DS games. But hey, as long as they're happy with what they're doing, good for them.

(That last sentence wasn't supposed to be sarcastic)
Thank you!
128758131780250128.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt