ATV Wild Ride (DS) announced- new Renegade Kid game

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Dec 7, 2010.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Following up on the success of Renegade Kid's previous DS efforts (Dementium 1/2 and Moon), Renegade Kid is working on their fourth Nintendo DS game. It's a departure from their usual first person shooter genre. Now they are creating a fast paced racing game called ATV Wild Ride. First trailer for the game below. [/p]

Renegade Kid had been teasing a new game announcement since a week or two ago. As usual with their engines, the graphics are a superb example of what can be done on the DS. The environments at least are far larger in scale than their previous games. From what we've heard in the past, Renegade Kid eventually intends to develop games for the 3DS, but for the time being it's good to see developers still taking interest in the original DS.

- 24 tracks
    - US, Thailand, England, Russia, Canada and Mexico
    - four-player multiplayer (unknown whether this means wifi or local, until further notice, assume local only)
    - 60 frames-per-second
    - perform dozens of "wild" tricks
    - "fast-paced arcade racing game for the DS with the Renegade Engine."
    - "there are only a few developers and publishers out there willing to put all of their effort into making great DS titles these days, which is a pity."\
    - due out Jan. 2011 [/p]
    [​IMG] Source

2. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    lol trailer.

i hope this is good. renegade kid is great with pushing the ds to the limit.

3. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    the trailer is definitely lol worthy.

the game though....eh. im kinda done with my ds. Even okamiden isnt getting me very excited.

4. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    It looks pretty bad... Kind of like a bad Motorstorm ripoff.
    Why would anyone want to invest money on a console nearing the end of its lifespan on a crappy racing title that nobody will buy? Not to mention there are far better alternatives of that genre on the same platform, like Mario Kart DS.

5. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Renegade Kid is definitely up there with my favorite DS developers... The game looks fantastic, kind of like Excitebike 64 except with ATV's. Can't wait [​IMG]

6. Sylar1

Member Sylar1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Looks like all the other ATV games.

wooo?

7. dan80315

Member dan80315 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Kinda disappointed Renegade Kid's last DS game will be some ATV racing game...

8. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Moon sucked way hard in the ass.

9. Mesiskope

Banned Mesiskope Banned

United States
    60 fps cause the game looks like butt.

10. aber

Newcomer aber Member

United States
    While I didn't go for their other titles (FPS on the DS just aren't my cup of tea), I think this one looks pretty darn sweet. I've tried the other ATV titles on the DS and they are choppy as hell and look and play like shite as a result. Awful...all of them. This looks like it could be at least PSOne quality in terms of visuals, which looks pretty darn good when shrunk down to the small screens. If they can deliver the 60 frames per second and have Wi-Fi muliplayer, this could be a nice surprise for the normally dry winter release months.

Surprisingly, the DS has several decent racing titles that don't contain the words "Mario" or "Kart". Trackmania, GRiD, Dirt 2, & Race Driver: Create and Race are just a few off the top of my head. Hopefully they can deliver another.

11. granville
    OP

United States
    I hope you intend to explain that statement, because that lacks a little something we call "sense". 60fps is the ideal speed that games should be programmed to run at. It means the gameplay is about as smooth as it can get. If you think the game "looks like butt", it's in no way because of the framerate... [​IMG]

Game looks similar to a PS1 game, though without that odd polygon shaking that 3D PS1 games have, as well as a far smoother framerate (i don't recall any fully 3D ps1 games that ran at 60fps). I'd say it's close to N64-caliber, smoother textures and framerate, but with grainier graphics. At any rate, it's looking like they are working on making an ATV game on the DS with competent physics, which is something i doubt any other ATV game on DS has done.

12. Kit_

Newcomer Kit_ Member

United States
    I for one am not a huge fan of ATV style games but this looks fun. And considering most of us won't pay for it. Why not?
    I am curious how many truly awesome DS games we will have to look forward to after the 3DS hits.

13. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I'm gonna check it out for my love toward Renegade Kid. Not gonna buy it like Dementium though, too generic.
    Looks like the multiplayer will be local, that's a con too.

It looks like a nice game. Nice use of the DS capabilities like the other titles made with Renegade Engine. Unfortunately, a complete waste of talent from the guys at RK.

And shit they make just too much noise about their games running "at silk smooth 60 fps".

Nowai

14. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain

DS is two times more powerful than PS1.

15. Freudian Lemur

Member Freudian Lemur GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I don't think Mesiskope was saying that 60FPS looks like butt. He meant they only achieved 60FPS because the polygon count and texture resolution were low.
    However, I disagree that the game looks like butt. In reality, it looks just like any other ATV game on the DS; kinda ugly but ok. The 60FPS, I guess, would set it a bit above the others, graphically. I must admit that I'm slightly disappointed that they chose to do this game. It seems like a waste of what little time they have left to develop DS games. But hey, as long as they're happy with what they're doing, good for them.

(That last sentence wasn't supposed to be sarcastic)

16. granville
    OP

United States
    @Juanmatron

Where'd you pull that figure from? I hope not clock speed, because that's hardly a good case. DS has a few really impressive games, but not much that i'd say couldn't be done on PS1. DS tends to be capable of a higher framerate in general, but can't render as much geometry onscreen at once.

The game looks like nearly every other similar DS game i've seen in terms of polygons and textures btw, i'd have a hard time imagining what you think looks GOOD on the DS in terms of 3D if not a Renegade Kid game...

17. Eighteen

Member Eighteen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Hahha the vid is so funny xD
    totally made me laugh at the point where they say:

+ ''and it runs 60 frames per seconds..''
    - ''what does that mean?..... 60 frames per second?''
    + ''I dooon't knooow......''

like wtf xD hahah
    the dull voice of the DS guy is funny xD [​IMG]

18. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    You must get it because it runs 60 frames per second! [​IMG]

19. Mesiskope

Banned Mesiskope Banned

United States
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]

20. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    looks like a great game esp with its fast pace and hopefully good mechanics... thts where most racing games on the DS fail (which dirt 2, NFS and speed racer really got right)
    Awesome trailer too...