ATTENTION: Smiths and Yasu

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by WeaponXxX, Mar 18, 2008.

Mar 18, 2008

ATTENTION: Smiths and Yasu by WeaponXxX at 6:21 PM (1,052 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. WeaponXxX
    OP

Member WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

United States
    The other topic was closed but I just found some fantastic news
    Smiths,
    This is fantastic, the cat is out of the bag and I worked for Midway's Chicago division and was recently let go. Here is the problem I have. Your Acecard firmware helps people pirate games I have developed. If you could do me a personal favor and make it so YOUR firmware does not run any games from Midway I would extremely appreciate it. The personal touch has been initiated and I will look forward to your future firmware NOT running all the games I worked so hard on. Thanks in advance!!!

If someone could translate this to Japanese and send it to YASU it would be appreciated as well. Didn't know a personal touch is all it took! I know Midway doesn't make all the best games but I worked hard on some of those projects and had kits like the Acecard not been around I might still have a job. Again consider this my personal touch and request and I look forward to you two compiling and your quickest conveniences!

2. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    Cool firmware made for pirate flashcart that dont play pirate games, If someone would make this, it would be the end of customized firmwares on my acekard [​IMG]

3. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Good luck with that one.

4. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    I'm on the phone with a friend of mine from school who now works at Konami and I am telling him about your offer Smiths. He agrees your compassion towards our work is very noble and has to run it through his boss before he makes a personal and public request to not have your firmware run commercial games like Contra 4 that he worked hard on. Does he have to register or can he speak through me? And if he can't speak through me can I get your email or phone number so he can have his boss call you directly for even more of a personal touch?

It shouldn't really be a luck issue. According to Smiths it just takes a personal one on one conversation... a mere, having someone who worked on the project ask nicely. If Smiths and Yasu comply it could be a great movement for all developers and programmers to know we just had to ask they not do what they are doing. Truly groundbreaking!

5. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    I'll bite your flamebait:

None of my modifications are specific to pirated game. If you could contact the AceKard team, you may have better luck with your requests. My personal modifications have been made to enhance Gameboy Advance flash cartridges' usage on the DS via the AceKard firmware.

Also, as Rudolph's tools allow me to dump my legal games to files on my AceKard's NAND, I have enhanced the cheat code functions of the AceKard to enjoy my experience with these games in a better fashion.

You should be willing to supply the authors you wish to see support removed from the list of titles and dates you worked on the projects, along with people who are able to verify these claims. Please be aware of the specific copyright laws you are referencing in your claims against myself and the future project members I foresee you contacting, as they will be thoroughly investigated before action is taken.

6. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    When did I ever "hit" homebrew?

Hell, I spend almost all my time on these boards promoting homebrew; which is quite the thankless job considering virtually everyone here plays soley commercial games on the daily. I actually feel quite insulted that you would even make such a claim, especially since I said nothing that should lead you to that conclusion.

7. Smiths

United States
    Sigh.... "you" in the global sense. When people reach topic of debating homebrew authors.

8. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    What are you referring to in regards to copyright laws? I thought the law was not the motivator for you in regards to respecting ones wishes bur rather the personal touch of that person asking nicely?

9. Smiths

United States
    I'll bite more, since it's obvious you're trying so very hard:

The complaints would have to be registered with the manufacturers of the card's official firmware, as they have the code for doing what would be construed as negative toward you and your developer friends. Again, although you wish me to enact your request, it is something you will have to take up with the AceKard manufacturers.
    If you desire, I will forward them this discussion thread, mentioning your position of representing GBATemp and its affiliates via the IRC channel, and let them respond in kind to how they infer your requests and its representation of the opinion of GBATemp.

10. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Doing so would just be misinformation on your part, and as the Acekard team is fairly chummy with shaun, I imagine this would hurt your credibility with them.

11. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    I think your kicking a dead horse in the teeth here Smiths. You know damn well that a formal request to AceKard to have them NOT support commercial roms would be a waste of time. If that is all it took then don't you think game maker would have said, "Hey please don't have your loader boot up out games or prevent our anti piracy protection???

My complaint is not with AceKard or any other card manufacture out there but you who sits upon your dead horse screaming, "Respect my wishes cause I personally made the app" on a site full of dirty pirates. And of course I can't prove your a pirate yourself...but I'm pretty sure you got a nice folder somewhere on your computer of pirated games. And if ... I said IF...and considering this a board mainly leaning towards piracy which YOU are a member of..I'd say its a pretty big IF...but if that folder does exist somewhere on your compute nothing irks me more than to hear you say "respect my wishes". If anyone out there deserves my respect it would be certain plumber, a pink fat ball, or an electric rodent...and since they don't get it even though they deserve it...your definitely NOT going to get it from me.

And again on a piracy themed board you shouldn't expect it. Check out is at noon, leave the key to your room with the girl at the desk and might I recommend GBAdev if you want to circle yourself around people who actually give a fuck about your wishes.

12. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    I want to just clarify one thing,
    Do I appreciate the work that goes into homebrew?
    HELL YES
    People like loopy and flubba...I love em. If they said "give me a hundred bucks to finish a nice DS version of our NES emulator" Would I? HELL YES I'd love to see the project finished. If the product was already finished and then I was asked to pay for the program...would I? Very likely NOT.

I have 30 odd flash carts (Well right now 6 cause the Feds still have my other ones lol) but the 6 kits I have on my desk are used for commercial roms. I really don't use homebrew that often so to debate weather or not I'd consider paying for it...but again as I play games from certain studios that are no longer around...and say "Wow I really should buy this game" ... and then don't....and several others out there don't...I highly doubt I would.

To quote the Native American from Natural Born Killers (Quote might be slightly inaccurate)
    In the end my work gets pirated all the time, personally I am flattered people actually want to pirate my shit...but as I am pirate myself...I would be nothing more than an asshole to expect people to NOT pirate my work.

13. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    You know, if you said to loopy "I will give you $100 to finish your NES emulator for the DS" he might be more inclined to do so. Just a though.