Attempting to play a DVD returns "Invalid DVD"

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by tempomental, Jul 24, 2011.

Jul 24, 2011
  1. tempomental
    OP

Newcomer tempomental Newbie

United States
    I have installed MPlayer CE and DVDx, but for whatever reason the DVD menu just stalls and returns to the DVD menu whenever I attempt to play a DVD. WiiDVD also returns "Invalid DVD" whenever I attempt to play a DVD.

Any ideas?

No idea what I'm running as it's been forever since I hacked up the Wii in the first place, and I think I may have followed an old tutorial, but here's my Syscheck:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

TIA
    tm

2. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    you are missing ios 58. try installing that. seems like you system could use some updated files. you also don't have hermes cios, you should install:

hermes v4 222(38) + 223(38+37)
    hermes v5 202(60) + 224(57)

i keep 249(38) rev17 in 249 so that wouldn't be an issue. most stuff like WiiMC and MplayerCE don't use 249 anyway.

DVDx is not used anymore. IOS58 is the main focus from TT due to the simplicity of the AHBPROT bug.

3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Depending on the version of MPlayer CE you are using, you need either IOS202 or IOS58. However, I highly recommend you use WiiMC instead of MPlayer CE. WiiMC requires that you have IOS58 installed. I recommend you use ModMii to install/update all of your IOS files. Your cIOS249 is also out-of-date; you should have 249d2x56 instead of rev17.

4. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    WiiMC is pretty bad with DVD's since it now uses IOS58. The latest version of MPlayer CE uses 202 if it's available (because 202 is waaaaaaaaay faster than IOS58), then falls back on IOS58 if 202 is missing.

@OP: Make sure you install cIOS202 base 60 v5.1 with this installer. When asked what IOS to use for installation (should be the first thing you are asked), say IOS36.

You can also install 224 with that installer. Use this installer for 222 and 223. Follow the setup VashTS posted

5. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    LOL.

DVDx has been out of date since like 2009.

MPlayerCE has been out of date since WiiMC came out.

6. JoostinOnline

United States
    DVDX is still needed if you want to use things like FTPii, and MPlayer CE is needed if you want to play DVD's without it having to buffer every few minutes. Dropping cIOS202 for IOS58 was a terrible decision IMO.

7. tempomental
    OP

United States
    OK, thanks for the help. I followed the instructions and got Error -1017 when installing cIOS 224(57).

Here's my updated Syscheck.

Thanks again for all the help.

tm

8. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    DVD does not need IOS58 or any particular cIOS, it just needs the AHBPROT bit enabled i.e the flag set in meta.xml or a channel with a proper TMD (like the WiiMC official forwarder).

And afaik, access speed is not related to the loaded IOS or cIOS since DVD is now accessed directly from PPC and does not go through IOS.

9. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

There's 2 bits needed actually - one to enable the DVD Video commands, the other (AHBPROT) to let the PPC access the DI hardware registers (hence you're right about the IOS being irrelevant, and Joostin is full of crap once again).

10. JoostinOnline

United States
    What is your problem? You have been acting like a jerk ever since you tried to get ModMii shut down.

The IOS and method of enabling access do matter when it comes to speed, it's common knowledge. That is why rodries is considering adding 202 support to WiiMC.

11. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Please explain how the IOS affects the DVD read speed when the PPC is bypassing it and accessing the hardware registers directly?

12. JoostinOnline

United States
    It doesn't, but 202 gets DVD access without AHBPROT. Currently, WiiMC requires IOS58 for USB 2.0, and while AHBPROT doesn't depend on IOS58, you need AHBPROT if you want to use a vanilla IOS. I said using IOS58 is slower than using IOS202, I meant that 202 doesn't need to use a slow method.

13. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    Does the other bit really need to be enabled for PPC to access DI registers directly ? Because I saw on the Wii hardware diagram that the DVD was not on AHB bus...

14. JoostinOnline

United States
    So how do cIOS's enable DVD loading without AHBPROT? If it doesn't matter what IOS you use, then you should be able to load DVD's without AHBPROT, considering that DVD playback was possible years before AHBPROT was possible through the HBC.

15. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

The direct hardware access method was adopted because it is faster. The other method only requires the DVD Video bit to be turned on, and all the calls go through IOS - the only thing "special" about cIOS 202 is that it has this mode permanently enabled so it can read warez games.

16. JoostinOnline

United States
    It was adopted because TeamTwiizers hates cIOS's. It is way slower.

Anyway, I'm tired of arguing with a troll. It's not going anywhere, and you just enjoy insulting others instead of dealing with your own issues.

17. tempomental
    OP

United States
    While I appreciate the vigorous debate, I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with my problem. Has someone had a chance to look at the syscheck I posted yesterday, and if so, can that person provide me with a couple of next steps, please?

TIA
    tm

18. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

The first answer you got in this thread was to install IOS58, have you done that?

19. tempomental
    OP

United States
    Yep, sure did. I also went through and ran ModMii all the way through... still nothing.

Updated syscheck:

TIA
    tm

20. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

How old is this wii? Has it ever played DVDs or used "backup" discs before (NOT usb loading)?