Hacking Attempted to Downgrade Fates n3ds ( Failed )

Fureshyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://imgur.com/NQpeQzo
EDIT: This is what it says when we put the cart in.

Hello, so my girlfriend bought the new fates console which comes with the FW 10.3, which is perfect for downgrading. However, we used safesysupdater and it crashed half-way through and gave us the error. Upon restarting, we unfortunately have frankenfirmware.

So now we just bought shovel knight but I'm unsure how its supposed to update her console to 9.8? When we launch the game its just forever stuck in the 3ds logo boot and I'm unsure about the download update from the eshop (Y). How am I supposed to upgrade it back to 9.8?

Edit: Pressing Y just gets it a white blank screen.

Last edited by Fureshyu,

Osga21

Full Time Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I found this reddit thread(1st google result).
Theoretically your 3ds should update when you tried to start the game. Worst case scenario is you have to upgrade to 10.5, but I would wait a little and see if someone more helpful than me replies to this thread. Don't worry, you didn't waste your 20$ on Shovel Knight, it's an amazing game, so at least there's that...

Fureshyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this reddit thread(1st google result).
Theoretically your 3ds should update when you tried to start the game. Worst case scenario is you have to upgrade to 10.5, but I would wait a little and see if someone more helpful than me replies to this thread. Don't worry, you didn't waste your 20$ on Shovel Knight, it's an amazing game, so at least there's that...

Thank you again. Its weird though. All these threads talk about games that can update it but they don't say how. We tried pressing A and its just stuck booting. Up if its stuck booting up, does that mean it's downloading the update for 9.8?

Osga21

Full Time Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thank you again. Its weird though. All these threads talk about games that can update it but they don't say how. We tried pressing A and its just stuck booting. Up if its stuck booting up, does that mean it's downloading the update for 9.8?
I would guess that the update is stored in the cart itself, but I may also be completely wrong. In any case, try letting it sit for a while, couldn't hurt.

Fureshyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would guess that the update is stored in the cart itself, but I may also be completely wrong. In any case, try letting it sit for a while, couldn't hurt.

Okay thanks, we'll try that. Is there anybody else who can offer insight? Has anyone actually done the cart updating trick?

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened to my second n3ds, I got a "frankenfw" as you called it.. Couldnt get into the options it would freeze.. what I did was use a game that updated my 3ds back to 9.8 (was yokai watch but any game with a fw 10.3 and under will do), and ran the safesysupdater again and it worked... Dont be alarmed or act quickly, your problem happens a lot. its not very stable. The second time around was perfect and I got it down to 9.2

runetoonxx2

GBATemp's Cancer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, so my girlfriend bought the new fates console which comes with the FW 10.3, which is perfect for downgrading. However, we used safesysupdater and it crashed half-way through and gave us the error. Upon restarting, we unfortunately have frankenfirmware.

So now we just bought shovel knight but I'm unsure how its supposed to update her console to 9.8? When we launch the game its just forever stuck in the 3ds logo boot and I'm unsure about the download update from the eshop (Y). How am I supposed to upgrade it back to 9.8?

Edit: Pressing Y just gets it a white blank screen.
Safesysupdater is the least safe out of all of the downgraders >.>

Reactions: Deleted User

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks, we'll try that. Is there anybody else who can offer insight? Has anyone actually done the cart updating trick?
I have. After you start the game it should say something like "this game needs a higher firmware to run. Do you want to install it now?" Or something like that. It's weird that your system isn't giving you that message. Makes to think that perhaps the cia that triggers that message was never downgraded.

Fureshyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened to my second n3ds, I got a "frankenfw" as you called it.. Couldnt get into the options it would freeze.. what I did was use a game that updated my 3ds back to 9.8 (was yokai watch but any game with a fw 10.3 and under will do), and ran the safesysupdater again and it worked... Dont be alarmed or act quickly, your problem happens a lot. its not very stable. The second time around was perfect and I got it down to 9.2

When you say "use a game" did you let it just boot into the neverending 3ds logo and let it sit there? Or did you actually use the game?

Safesysupdater is the least safe out of all of the downgraders >.>
They shoyld change the name tbh. I was skeptical about using it bc I downgraded two consoles already just using normal sysupdater. (ftbrony trick)

Fureshyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have. After you start the game it should say something like "this game needs a higher firmware to run. Do you want to install it now?" Or something like that. It's weird that your system isn't giving you that message. Makes to think that perhaps the cia that triggers that message was never downgraded.

Uh oh.. if that's the case then there's no hope?

Fureshyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I put the game in, it instructed me that it needed to update the system. I let it do that. It doesnt go to the 3ds logo screen, it goes and updates the system from the cart IIRC.

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible your NATIVE_FIRM wasn't downgraded. Try running browserhax or anything to get back to the homebrew menu to redowngrade.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^ try that first, but if you can't get into homebrew in any way shape and/or form, you're gonna have to update to 10.5

Edit: @Psi-hate hinted that there's a way to downgrade from 10.4+ in the works, so you're not too screwed atm

Last edited by Just Passing By,

Fureshyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys I put a link on the OP to what it says. It looks like there is a software update but we need to access the eshop to download it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nude checkers get jumped