Hacking Atmosphere to be estimated released in Summer 2018 for ALL firmwares.

Fluffball

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the reason it runs slower is for battery life but also due to heat. Dock has a fan to cool the console

Should of added the caveat of battery life not withstanding.

Docked does NOT improve frame rate, only resolution.

Overclocking in handheld mode would actually help framerate.

If it ran at docked clock in the handheld mode then it would surely improve frame-rates or for example it could run at the higher res and down sample to native 720p,like the xbox one x or ps4 pro can do.

Don't forget games in docked don't only run at a higher res but also load higher assets,longer draw distances ect too

For people who don't mind shorter battery life or who play with the unit plugged in there is a potential with cfw to increase performance and/or quality quite abit.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Should of added the caveat of battery life not withstanding.

If it ran at docked clock in the handheld mode then it would surely improve frame-rates or for example it could run at the higher res and down sample to native 720p,like the xbox one x or ps4 pro can do.

Don't forget games in docked don't only run at a higher res but also load higher assets,longer draw distances ect too

For people who don't mind shorter battery life or who play with the unit plugged in there is a potential with cfw to increase performance and/or quality quite abit.

Downsampling is quite a waste of power in that case, I'd rather have an OC for better FPS.

Reactions: guily6669

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know it doesn't have a fan, that's the point I was trying to convey to him.
And if it's not by heat, then why does the plastic bend then?

The weakest plastic in existence starts bending at 92°c.

Switch shuts down at around 70°c, but normally operates at less than 60°c when docked.

Last edited by nmkd,

themyst

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the dock has a fan, why are there so many reports of bent consoles due to heat while docked? :^}

Dock doesn't have a fan, but I use one of those USB-C extenders so it doesn't have to sit in the OEM dock (I need a case for my switch with a 5-year-old in the house).

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
I assumed the fan was in the dock not the switch. Sorry I have 2 switches but never used them beyond checking fw versions 1.0.0 too

Appologies for confusion caused

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lol these guys will pull things out of wherever and act like they know what they're talking about

Ikr

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Docked mode more than doubles the GPU clock speed. Whether the extra resources are used to increase the resolution or framerate is up to the developer.

Well, I don't think there's a single game that doubles FPS instead of resolution by default.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The weakest plastic in existence starts bending at 92°c.

Switch shuts down at around 70°c, but normally operates at less than 60°c when docked.
I don't think so... I have seen a video where he had a probe inside the switch and was above 80C°

Now if you put a laser thermometer from the exterior it will probably be around 60C°.

In portable with my laser thermometer from exterior to the copper cooler above it reports 40 something max C° but I'm still to test on summer under hot days.

But remember heat transfer for copper is not 100% so the chip it self is way hotter than the exiting hot air...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too