Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Waze0613, Feb 17, 2018.

1. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
  2. tiliarou

tiliarou GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2018
    France
    The most important is not the forum but the actual dkp and pacman repo.
    + most of the discussions are happening on irc discord AFAIK.
    So short answer is no.

3. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    SciresM must have a local copy of DevkitPro so I don't think it will impact atmos, at least there's some undergoing change in ARM tool chain or something.

4. tiliarou

tiliarou GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2018
    France
    As I said just above: it's only the forum that got hacked, not the repositories (yet ?)

cucholix likes this.
  5. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
  6. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    It would be so cool if atmos 7.0.0 coincided with my birthday :blush:

7. jorgesd

jorgesd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2018
    East Timor
    according to SciresM you can custom reboot/power off to rcm, payload or normally right? does this means the end of autorcm? if i stick with atmoshpere of course.

8. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Yea, you can choose what the restart option does with an option in system_settings.ini. autoRCM is still useful, because sometimes the system can hard freeze and if that happens you can’t reboot to payload/rcm

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Not really as the whole point of AutoRCM is to remove the need for a jig which is useful if you're turning off the console. This just lets you switch payloads and CFW without having to manually re-enter RCM.

And contrary to popular belief, AutoRCM is actually useful if your system runs out of battery since that would mean you wouldn't need a jig to reboot back into RCM. It was also immediately debunked the system wouldn't charge with AutoRCM and an empty battery so AutoRCM has plenty of reason to stick around. A jig can always fail but never AutoRCM.

uyjulian, charlieb, tiliarou and 2 others like this.
  10. jorgesd

jorgesd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2018
    East Timor
    Oh i see, got it wrong. I thought once you setup the power off/reboot button, it would work even if you power off the console. I mean you power off the console and with the power off button you would be able to load hekate or rcm. So it is like the "reboot to payload" thingy but no need to .nro or the uso of homebrew menu right?

11. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Right.

jorgesd likes this.
  12. DollyWhipDoll

DollyWhipDoll You're on ignore.

May 18, 2018
    United States
  13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    This was addressed earlier with a question about why @SciresM doesn't just release the new key (answer: it's illegal). I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

When the 6.2.0 update broke CFW, one of the dilemmas was getting the new master key out to the public. SciresM talked about this dilemma a lot on Discord, coming to the conclusion that there was no legal way to do so. This was resolved by updating Atmosphere to legally generate the key using the Switch itself, but that had the downside of revealing the exploit to Nintendo. This caused them to patch the exploit in 7.0.0.

Now, the same dilemma is likely happening. He has the new key, but there's no way to get the key to the public without revealing the exploit to Nintendo. This is apparently what he's doing with the upcoming Atmosphere update.

I'm concerned that, unless the exploit is unpatchable, this might be a bad idea. One possible solution, since releasing the key is illegal, would be to only release the exploit privately to those who may or may not leak just the key. That way, SciresM doesn't break any laws, and the key becomes public in a way that doesn't reveal the exploit.

Edit: See below about how he's neither releasing the key nor the exploit.

Last edited by Lacius, Feb 8, 2019
    peteruk, Adran_Marit and jorgesd like this.
  14. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    He's not releasing the key or the exploit, he outlined his plan on Discord, yesterday I think, for how he's going to work around this problem.

15. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Mind sending me a PM of what he said? O:

16. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I'll just put it here.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 01.42.54.

cucholix, peteruk, JJTapia19 and 3 others like this.
  17. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I didn't see that. Thanks.

peteruk, Adran_Marit and hippy dave like this.
  18. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    i would have wished that he kept this next exploit / payload / chainload + script Closed Source.

klear likes this.
  19. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Again, he's keeping the exploit private. Releasing the code for the new method won't give away how he got the keys.

ScarletDreamz and Lacius like this.
  20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Well since 7.0 support seems to be on the horizon, this is just a friendly reminder that backups won't work on 7.0 with Atmosphere unless someone makes a new set of IPS patches. Rajkosto has been making them ever since and because we know he's alive due to biskeydump now supporting firmware 7.0, he may do it again. Or not, its anyone's guess.

wicksand420, Asia81 and Adran_Marit like this.