Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Waze0613, Feb 17, 2018.

1. glitchhh

glitchhh Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    Canada
    Hi guys, I'm kinda new to the scene, I was wondering how to inject the payload using a R4i dongle. It seems like I need a file called "current.uf2" but the one on their website says v6.1. Does that mean I need to wait for a v6.2 before I can use it to run the new 0.8.0 atmosphere or can I still use the v6.1 and it'll still work? Thanks!

Zaybokk likes this.
  2. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Probably best to wait if you're a newbie, but you could also try flashing the custom/advanced loader that runs any payload called payload.bin on your sd card. I would imagine after copying all the atmosphere files over you could rename fusee-primary to payload.bin and try that.

Zaybokk likes this.
  3. glitchhh

glitchhh Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks a lot! I'll wait then since I found myself a usb type C, I'll just stick with injecting via the PC for now.

Zaybokk likes this.
  4. Zaybokk
    This message by Zaybokk has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Nov 30, 2018, Reason: Dupe.
    Nov 30, 2018
  5. Y0sh1

Y0sh1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    Ireland
    Last edited by Y0sh1, Nov 30, 2018
    BL4Z3D247 and Frank1905 like this.
  6. Frank1905

Frank1905 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 13, 2018
    Italy
  7. Y0sh1

Y0sh1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    Ireland
    The firmwares 4.0.0 and higher update the gamecard reader on your Switch. If you have a Switch that had a firmware below 4.0.0 and used a tool like ChoiDujourNX to update which also allows you to downgrade, you don't want your gamecard reader updated. Otherwise when you are back in the old firmware, the gamecard won't read your cartridges

Having the `nogc` option means the gamecard reader is disabled and it can't be updated.

Thread to ChoiDujourNX: https://gbatemp.net/threads/choiduj...ller-homebrew-for-the-nintendo-switch.513416/

Frank1905 likes this.
  8. Frank1905

Frank1905 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 13, 2018
    Italy
    Oh, that's clear now. Ty for the clarification!
    Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

9. SciresM

SciresM GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2014
    United States
    Heh...Happy June 15th, again.

Bullseye, Taorn, Don Jon and 17 others like this.
  10. Ninoh-FOX

Ninoh-FOX Otaku Gamer!!

Jan 22, 2015
    Spain
    Military base.
    Great work!!!

11. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Anyone else still get Key derivation failed errors randomly? 5.1.0 and ams 8

12. dorisnov

dorisnov Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    Guys, I dissabled the splash and now I cant remember how to enable it again. Anyone knows?

13. sergux

sergux Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2018
    Afghanistan
    Quick question, in 6.2 with 0.8.0 sleep mode its working?

14. MeteK

MeteK GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    France
    yep

sergux likes this.
  15. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 2, 2015

I get that 1 out of ten times or so.

16. Mrdx

Mrdx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2013
    Antigua and Barbuda
    I also got that 1 in my 2 tries, I'm on 6.1.0

17. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    I got key derivation failed the first time booting 0.8.1 on 6.2.

Did it again and it was fine.

I hope SciresM can fix it, having to reboot into rcm and reinject is a pain.

18. Nazosan

Nazosan GBAtemp Fan

May 12, 2009
    United States
    To those arguing the semantics of terms, a jailbreak almost literally means what it says. It just removes signature checking so you can run unsigned code. (Doesn't Atosphere still even not actually do this out of the box, or do we no longer need third-party supplied patches?) It's like just removing the bars from the jail -- where you go from there and what you do is up to you to do on your own. Atmosphere is an actual CFW in that it significantly modifies huge amounts of the firmware or even outright replaces entirely many components. It just isn't a "complete" firmware in that it doesn't replace the original outright. (Given how the Switch works that would actually be troublesome and do more harm than good. But also the biggest reason is it would mean distributing copyright code which would get rid of the very useful open-source nature of this and cause a lot of legal problems in an era where companies are a lot more likely to come down hard on anyone caught doing something that big.) Back in the PSP days we already figured all this out. This is a "LCFW" (I believe that L was "light.") It is a custom firmware, but it's loaded externally and doesn't replace the original. (It's worth noting that even true CFWs like Dark-Alex's -- I think that was the name, but man it has been a long time -- on the PSP didn't replace everything. They still basically just patched a lot of components and only replaced a bit.) To be absolutely clear, a LCFW is still a CFW, just not "complete" by that definition that it must overwrite the original and boot up unassisted, thus CFW "light" or whatever. Semantically we can still call it a "CFW" with that understanding that it is actually a LCFW. But we can't call it "jailbreaking" because that does not describe what this does and would only fit if all it did was just a few very basic signature patches and nothing else (speaking of which, the origin of the term didn't use a tethered payload for every bootup either, so the definition given earlier wouldn't work even where the term was first used...)

Anyway, I never figured out what was wrong before. I was hoping someone would know. However, I redid things again with the new Atmosphere release and it's now working again, so I can once again use the official payload via Hekate thank goodness. I just hope I don't run into whatever happened before again. My best bet is the culprit was something among the patches used as I found a different set when searching this time around versus what sdfiles uses (and this one says it supports up to 6.2.0 so I knew it was more up-to-date.) It would be nice if I could be sure so whatever it was doesn't happen again, but it's definitely working again now.

EDIT: Seems the key derivation failed error happens a LOT when booting with 0.8.1. I'm getting it almost exactly one out of every two times too. Also on 6.1.0. It's mostly a minor annoyance (I use a SwitchMe anyway, so it's mostly a delay since it seems to take a while after the reboot this does before it delivers the payload again, but I don't have to do anything with cables or anything anyway, so not such a big deal since mainly I just sit there staring at a blank screen for a while.)

Last edited by Nazosan, Dec 1, 2018
    TheCyberQuake and medoli900 like this.
  19. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

GBAtemp Patron
    medoli900 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    From what universe do you come from?
    Atmosphère is a Coldboot CFW. RCM comes in before the firmware is booted, Hekate is pushed into RCM, then Atmosphère is booted. The OFW never boot in any part of the process.

Last edited by medoli900, Dec 1, 2018
  20. Nazosan

Nazosan GBAtemp Fan

May 12, 2009
    United States
    This is true. RCM is almost not even "code" so much as just a really basic SoC function. If a RCM relied on the system's own firmware to function it would potentially defeat the entire purpose since the RCM is supposed to be usable to correct a potentially completely broken system and would be needed if, for example, a system were rendered unbootable. (Remember, the Tegra was originally heavily oriented towards Android devices. Developers and third party ROM users use recovery functionality a fair bit -- though usually not quite this low level, that's emergencies only.) We push a payload (and thanks to the exploit it doesn't have to be signed) and the payload executes its own code without the system ever making it to the actual boot process. Even "AutoRCM" still basically qualifies because it causes an immediate failure in trying to actually boot the firmware breaking the process before it ever really starts.

Like I said, this is by all definitions except the very most strict of requiring it to actually physically replace system files on the NAND a true CFW. "LCFW" really is still the best term because it's still externalized, but it's very close to being a true CFW even by that definition because it takes over and modifies functionality during the boot process itself (didn't you notice the custom boot screen?)

Last edited by Nazosan, Dec 1, 2018
  21. tiliarou

tiliarou GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2018
    France
    Do we really care about the definition of CFW, cold boot and "LCFW" in this topic ?

To all users having key derivation failed, did you open an issue on the github ? did you report the issue in the reswitched discord ?