Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Waze0613, Feb 17, 2018.

1. dgr1592

dgr1592 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2018
    Peru

Right, but if hekate didn't want that any added or deleted functions, it shouldn't make it open source in first place :rofl:

Maximilious and Benoit934 like this.
  2. Benoit934

Benoit934 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2016
    France
    Kinda like putting candies on the table and telling toddlers to not touch it and leaving them alone

dgr1592 likes this.
  3. alexj9626

alexj9626 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2016
    Panama
    I can agree with this. Still, its important to distinguish between stealing ideas and using them for making money and just using your tool, add some stuff and enable piracy with it.

Yeah, that is kinda true, but i do understand if he doesnt want to be related to piracy at all, so if somebody used his tool for that and said "Hey, look, i can play backups with Hekate" that would be bad for him.

I think thats not the case in this situation, but i can see why he would do that.

4. dgr1592

dgr1592 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2018
    Peru
    And if someone only looks at them, he grabs them and goes away denying them.

5. Benoit934

Oct 31, 2016
    France
    Sure but anyway if it's the case you did it publicly and you gave the source code so you help manufacturer to secure their products.

The shame would be to use a zero day exploit to make money and never release the code

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    That's essentially what the debate should be about, even though most people would say he's overreacting towards one thread insinuating there's a connection between Hekate, his work, and piracy. Also, I have not seen anywhere that his tool was being used to make money. Where did you see that?

7. Benoit934

Oct 31, 2016
    France
    On twitter (facepalm)

8. alexj9626

alexj9626 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2016
    Panama
    Ok so just to be sure (also because i havnt tried the "play backups with FS" method) Hekate has nothing to do with it? Like, anything? I assume is just the way to "load Atmos" but is that it?

The money stuff, i was talking with the guy i quoted about it because he said something among those lines (TX using Hekate for their stuff and making money out of it). It looks like thats not the case. Just some people on twitter saying random stuff (the links is a couple post before)

Benoit934 likes this.
  9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you are referring to TX potentially using his code to make a backup launcher for profit, that is conspiracy theory.

Short answer is yes if you want to be technical. I would say it indirectly enables piracy. But I'll provide the detailed breakdown below.

Let's go over the current exploit. We boot the Switch into RCM by either shorting pin 10 or corrupting the BCT. We then send a payload via USB that will make the Switch do any number of things. Atmosphere is a CFW that removes all of the security checks in the OS to allow users full access to the console. This means it can technically run backups because it bypasses the checks an unmodified Switch would make when trying to run a backup. However, we have no way of booting into Atmosphere outside of this exploit. That's where Hekate comes into play. It is the payload that is designed to boot the Switch into a CFW of our choosing. Without it, there is currently no other way of booting the Switch into Atmosphere. So while it is factually incorrect to say that Hekate enables piracy, it plays a part in the enabling process because it helps to enable the enabler.

alexj9626 likes this.
  10. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    any update on Atmosphere?

rac likes this.
  11. Benoit934

Oct 31, 2016
    France
    I was just trying to understrand the crying baby thing, ppl are always seeking for a culprit and they surely ask them "Cui bono?" and though "oh yes TX bono so TX is the culprit"

I might understrand because they are selling stuff to unlock the Switch and play backups on it, but if you think differently they made a userfriendly CFW and tools, they had to monetize because doing it ins't free thus they put minimal restrictions, I did kinda the same for B2B applications (not showing clients names and disabling reports) that let you freely use the software but if you want all it's functionalities you have to pay.

Actually they aren't selling piracy tool but a user friendly CFW

So yeah it does sound like a bunch of kids yelling at each other because one choosed to play with a toy and others are jealous.

In fact hackers are othen a bit autistic and their only goal is to run custom code on things and continue to trick to system as long as they didn't reversed everything and reached the hardware limits so if you are able to get a bit of money for your long work it's fair, no one should blame you AND they can do the same as you did if they don't like using your stuff or paying for it

Soluble and Draxzelex like this.
  12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The only thing I can add is that no one is forcing you to buy TX's product. It is your and your decision alone. If people want to get up in arms over others buying their dongle/CFW, then its a fruitless effort.

Soluble likes this.
  13. dgr1592

dgr1592 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2018
    Peru
    Its more dead than Saudi Arabia in the World Cup :rofl2:

Erol, Risingdawn and eldavo2090 like this.
  14. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    i dont watch kickball

mmajunkie77 and Evictor like this.
  15. dgr1592

dgr1592 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2018
    Peru
    Shame on you! :ohnoes::ohnoes:

16. rac

rac Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    why do you say that?

17. dgr1592

dgr1592 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2018
    Peru
    Im just saying, its like the entire scene was more concerned in the ethic of SX OS or in cracking it instead of developing something more or, in last case, imitate their system to develop his own one.

eldavo2090 likes this.
  18. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Looks like active development to me https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/commits/master

andijames and Benoit934 like this.
  19. dgr1592

dgr1592 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2018
    Peru
    I speak from the outside obviously, and its only my opinion.

I dont doubt that they're still working on it, and I have nothin more than respect from the scene (and I whish one day I could do the half of things they can), but the last days the only thread is SX OS this, SX OS that.

Last edited by dgr1592, Jun 21, 2018
  20. vstar

vstar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure it gets slower everyday?

Erol, dgr1592 and Benoit934 like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted