Atmosphere CFW updated to 1.5.4, adds support for loading mods for Tears of the Kingdom

dashjkfas.png

SciresM has just released a new version of Atmosphere, bringing the project to version 1.5.4. Currently, it's in pre-release, which is standard for a new release, and will become a full release pending any initial bug reports. The main change that this new update offers is that it adds an experimental feature that lets users load layeredfs and romfs mods for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, and also for Fire Emblem: Engage.

Experimental new functionality was implemented to prevent crashing when building romfs for certain games with obscene file counts.
  • This includes both Fire Emblem: Engage (~190000 files), and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (~300000) files.
  • The solution involved adding functionality to ams.mitm/pm to dynamically steal memory from the application (and system) pool as needed when the games have romfs mods.
    • No memory is taken, and there is no cost to this functionality when playing without mods (or with overrides disabled).
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is currently the absolute worst case game, requiring ~48 MB of memory to build a romfs image to play with mods.
    • Right now, the memory is sourced as follows: 32 MB (base ams.mitm heap), 10 MB (stolen from application pool), 8 MB (dynamically stolen from system pool).
    • This is 50 MB, which allows a little overhead in the worst case (prevents crashing due to exhausting the heap for other allocations in ams.mitm).
    • Zelda is remarkably sensitive to memory being stolen from the application pool, tolerating no more than 16 MB on 1.0.0 and 12 MB on 1.1.0. I have chosen to steal 10 MB, to be safe, for now.
      • This may break on a future game update, but I will fix it if and when that happens. There is no perfect solution; the game simply requires too much memory to support mods flawlessly, and I am forced to compromise.

You can grab this update from the official Atmosphere GitHub page, linked below.

:arrow: Source

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They do exist, however it is not recommended. From personal use, something always goes wrong down the line. Plenty of threads out there regarding these matters.
Maybe I will just wait until there is a reason to play. Just went through updating atmosphere 13 days ago and it is always a pain in the ass. I already have a huge mess on my SD card.

CameronCataclysm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I will just wait until there is a reason to play. Just went through updating atmosphere 13 days ago and it is always a pain in the ass. I already have a huge mess on my SD card.
For standard builds it's a simple drag and drop. With the occasional payload change.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meanwhile I'm finding an annoying issue with FNAF security breach. Namely, every attempt to transfer and install it's update, causes the console to crash and force a reboot of atmosphere. Wasn't sure how or where else to bring it up; I'm not versed in the switch's software environment.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Is there a homebrew application that updates Atmosphere without having to use a computer? Can't remember if AIO updates atmosphere.
yeah AIO but lot of people report more problems what solutions, because if you update your Atmosphère and do not update other pieces of sofware like sysmodules you get in trouble, almost always is better to update manually, you always will know what are you updating.
Post automatically merged:

I do recommend you Hekate's NYX UMS mode to avoid remove the SD Card from your console, it converts your console on a USB Drive Stick with the content of your SD Card.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a homebrew application that updates Atmosphere without having to use a computer? Can't remember if AIO updates atmosphere.
Asking for pain? I suppose if you have the will yes you can

You cannot update while it’s running that is all you need to know, otherwise same as using PC. Anyway to mod file will do as long as atm is not running you can do anything you like to it

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Asking for pain? I suppose if you have the will yes you can

You cannot update while it’s running that is all you need to know, otherwise same as using PC. Anyway to mod file will do as long as atm is not running you can do anything you like to it
I will just wait a bit because I also have to update my emunand firmware and that is also a pain.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You but are right. The update process is very easy, however before update firmware you need to update lot of software
I advocate to never update unless there is some benefit. Was commenting on a post that said updating emunand painful. It’s so easy that many butter fingers did it

Reactions: impeeza

mindovermedia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I updated to the prerelease AMS version. Everything works in the end apart from booting from RCM. I need the web fusee launcher to launch. I ve searched everywhere and did everything recommended (put the fusee in paylods folder, renaming hekate.bin to paylods), replacing all folders again and again, nothing works. Some say I need to update the jig, which cannot be seen in 2 computers on its usb no matter what…should I get a new one? I would try auto RCM but some say it is a device killer. Can I run out of battery with it?

Attachments

• IMG_4934.png
    IMG_4934.png
    3 MB · Views: 30

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I updated to the prerelease AMS version. Everything works in the end apart from booting from RCM. I need the web fusee launcher to launch. I ve searched everywhere and did everything recommended (put the fusee in paylods folder, renaming hekate.bin to paylods), replacing all folders again and again, nothing works. Some say I need to update the jig, which cannot be seen in 2 computers on its usb no matter what…should I get a new one? I would try auto RCM but some say it is a device killer. Can I run out of battery with it?
Which Jig do you use to inject the payload?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1