1. Tobiti

OP Tobiti Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    Hey

I got a jig and dongle today. I read many of the post here, but still don't know what to choose. So can someone tell me what the main pros and cons of atmosphere and sx os are?

2. luk_pop

luk_pop GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    AMS - free
    SX - $$$

3. Tobiti

OP Tobiti Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    But free is not always better

4. bad361

bad361 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    Atmos is open source and the primary cfw for devs to support all latest homebrew/sys-modules/emulation stuff and it gets updated very frequently compared to others ... Basically atmos is THE CFW, and others are just like forks of atmos. SX is only good for you if you want to ultimately pirate switch roms with the support of hdd.

Last edited by bad361, Mar 21, 2020
  5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    you can't install nsp to the hdd with sx os?

6. xabier

xabier GBAtemp Fan

United States
    NO, you can install nsp from hdd or pendrive to microsd or internal nand.

It's the only function I use, you can install big nsp/xc from a exfat pendrivei that don't fit without splitting on the fat32 microsd card.

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Concubus™ The Moody Enby

Antarctica
    SXOS is just stolen code from Atmosphère and with questionable support. There have been multiple times where SXOS either went weeks without an update or pushed out broken updates because they lifted unstable code from Atmosphère.
    So the pros of Atmosphère, actual proper support from devs who know what they are doing, it's free and open-source, and regular updates. Cons: lacks XCI

8. JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    not just stolen code, they modified it and added features that Atmos didn't have.

as for questionable support , sure sometimes they've taken longer than Atmos to update but they always have in the end and if i remember correctly they have recently beaten Atmos to support a newer version of firmware.

as for Atmos support , most of this is down to one person SciresM who's done what 60% of Atmos code he knows what he's doing, is there anyone else if SciresM stops for whatever reason ? . Some good Switch utils have not been updated for along time. For example rajKosto has not been on here since Jan last year and last time he updated a util on his site was 9 months ago.

Sure Sx doesn't have the sys modules that Atmos has but I've been using SX since it came out and have not needed them. Yes I understand that some like to tinker with the modules and settings but if you want to play games on your switch Sx is the way to go, even better with Super XCI files and HDD support.

9. Terrorize420

Terrorize420 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    People make it seem like atmos is so much better but half of all the threads in here are kids asking how to make games and dlc work on it

Sx has its perks like easy to use, the cheat function is fun to actually find your own cheats for games, none of my games have ever stoped working becuase of patches needing to get updated. Ever since i got my switch its been on sx and everytime i start my switch ive never had an issue. Just turn on and play

As with everything in life it comes down to what your going to do with the cfw if your going to make homebrew and sys modules atmos has better support, backing up your games and dlc to a hdd and never needing to mess with anything to play them then get sx os

10. bad361

bad361 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    You wrote that much just to repeat that everyone keeps telling... that you pretty much want SX for ultimate piracy, xci and hdd support. I personally almost only use switch for emulation and homebrews and have only a handful of switch games installed (including the ones i bought).

11. JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    well I've been posting the same £$$£$ for nearly 2 years to people who know better but keep on posting the same BS.

nothing wrong with Atmos, , each to their own.

12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Concubus™ The Moody Enby

Antarctica
    And I have objected to teams like the SXOS and Gateway team for years, that ain't changing because those teams are cancer on the community. I am not really going to argue on this one because quite honestly I will always advocate for free, open-source, and community-run projects over shit like SXOS.

ghjfdtg likes this.
  13. JayMathis

JayMathis GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I like how people complain that SXOS stole code from Atmosphere, while most of them complaining are stealing games from Nintendo.

Goku1992A likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Atmosphere,