Atmosphère 0.9.3 out now, features faster boot times

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 9, 2019.

Front-page
    atmosphere.

SciresM is back again, with a brand new update to Atmosphère. This version, 0.9.3, adds some welcome features, including improving boot times significantly for the CFW. With help from hexkyz, splash screen loading times were optimized, though it should be noted that you'll need to update fusee-primary in order to get Atmosphère to run on this new update. Another notable addition can be seen in the changelog, which mentions the automatic backing-up of BIS keys on boot, which should be invaluable to helping users recover from corrupted NAND, as they'll have a functional copy of their keys that can be used to get things back in working order, should the worst-case scenario occur. You can, as always, grab the latest update on the official GitHub page for Atmosphère.

fusee-primary was last updated in: 0.9.3.

With thanks to the @switchbrew team, Atmosphère 0.9.3 is bundled with hbl 2.2, and hbmenu 3.1.0.

The following was changed since the last release:

• Thanks to hexkyz, fusee's boot sequence has been greatly optimized.
      • Memory training is now managed by a separate binary (fusee-mtc, loaded by fusee-primary before fusee-secondary).
      • Unnecessarily long splash screen display times were reduced.
      • The end result is that Atmosphere now boots significantly faster. :)
      • Note: This means fusee-primary must be updated for Atmosphere to boot successfully.
    • The version string was adjusted, and now informs users whether or not they are using emummc.
    • Atmosphere now automatically backs up the user's BIS keys on boot.
      • This should prevent a user from corrupting nand without access to a copy of the keys needed to fix it.
        • This is especially relevant on ipatched units, where the RCM vulnerability is not an option for addressing bricks.
    • The pm system module was rewritten as part of Stratosphere's ongoing refactor.
      • Support was added for forward-declaring a mitm'd service before a custom user sysmodule is launched.
        • This should help resolve dependency issues with service registration times.
      • SM is now informed of every process's title id, including built-in system modules.
    • The creport system module was rewritten as part of Stratosphere's ongoing refactor.
      • creport now dumps up to 0x100 of stack from each thread in the target process.
      • A few bugs were fixed, including one that caused creport to incorrectly dump process dying messages.
    • Defaults were added to system_settings.ini for controlling hbloader's memory usage in applet mode.
      • These defaults reserve enough memory so that homebrew can launch swkbd while in applet mode.
    • The fatal system module was rewritten as part of Stratosphere's ongoing refactor.
      • Incorrect display output ("2000-0000") has been fixed. Fatal will now correctly show 2162-0002 when this occurs.
      • A longstanding bug in how fatal manages the displays has been fixed, and official display init behavior is now matched precisely.
    • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.
    For information on the featureset supported by 0.9.0, please see the official release notes.

:download: Source
    :discuss: Discussion Thread

Discussion (31 replies)
  1. monkeyman4412
    This message by monkeyman4412 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Aug 9, 2019
  2. Josshy0125
    This message by Josshy0125 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  3. Newwaverap
    This message by Newwaverap has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  4. Oleboy555
    This message by Oleboy555 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  5. Lacius
    This message by Lacius has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  6. Oleboy555
    This message by Oleboy555 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  7. Lacius
    This message by Lacius has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  8. Josshy0125
    This message by Josshy0125 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  9. Lacius
    Aug 9, 2019
  10. Josshy0125
    Aug 9, 2019
  11. Lacius
    Aug 9, 2019
  12. Josshy0125
    Aug 9, 2019
  13. xskibbles
    This message by xskibbles has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  14. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Awesome! Love atmosphere just for the stability alone. Haven't experienced a crash for months since I moved to atmosphere.

15. Broduskii

Broduskii Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2014
    United States
    Awesome thank you so much <3

16. fvig2001

fvig2001 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 21, 2006
    Hope KOSMOS updates with this soon

MushGuy likes this.
  17. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2016
    Madagascar
    I wonder what will become of Atmoshpère 1.0

18. DaniPoo
    This message by DaniPoo has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  19. gizmomelb
    This message by gizmomelb has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  20. octopus

octopus Custom Title

Sep 6, 2013
    Somalia
    /
    The_Provider and lordelan like this.
  21. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Great work as always. I'm still running pre-emunand build of atmosphere as I have a "not broke don't fix it" mentality. But I love seeing things progress. Keep it up!

22. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    Still on 9.0.1 and stable as always.
    Will surely grab this before another one hits.

23. tabzer
    This message by tabzer has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  24. gizmomelb
    This message by gizmomelb has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  25. NoNAND

NoNAND The missing chip

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    Beyond my grave
    Not that I complained much about atmosphere boot times but that's nice I guess.
    Automatic backup of BIS keys? well that's something worth talking indeed.
    Here's hoping bricks happen less and less more than before now.

Alato and gizmomelb like this.
  26. xtrem3x
    This message by xtrem3x has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  27. JoeBloggs777
    This message by JoeBloggs777 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 9, 2019
  28. PikachuPrincess23

PikachuPrincess23 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    Norway
    I'm using Atomsphere and how do i update Atomsphere with this one?

29. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Just download the new version and copy everything over?

NoNAND and Elrond022 like this.
  30. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    The boot speedup is very nice.

If anyone selectively copies new files from atmosphere releases, to not lose settings etc, take note both hbl and hbmenu are updated this time.

31. Erol

Erol GBAtemp Fan

May 13, 2009
    Gambia, The
    support for >4.1.0 patched switches - when?

32. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Murphy's Law suggests that it will happen just about the time you cave in and buy a non-patched switch.

gizmomelb likes this.
  33. leon315
    This message by leon315 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 9, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Aug 9, 2019
  34. PikachuPrincess23

Jun 22, 2015
    Norway
    I have just update Atomsphere but after update i get this error when i shall update Homebrew trough Homebrew store such as PPSSPP.
    20190809_142247.

35. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    Ok, so we got biskey backup now.
    Right about time to also make it so boot0/1 gets backed up automatically when dumping rawnand.

Bst22322 likes this.
  36. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    It works fine for me. If you are using retroarch then HOLD R while launching any games and you can run PPSSPP just fine. If you got standalone PPSSPP then don't use album.

37. PikachuPrincess23

Jun 22, 2015
    Norway
    Strange since I'm getting same error when i shall use Goldleaf

38. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Are you able to launch any games without PPSSP ?

39. PikachuPrincess23

Jun 22, 2015
    Norway
    Yes I'm able to lunch Shadows of Adam without problem.
    It's only Goldleaf and when i shall update homebrew i have problem with.
    I didn't have plans to use PPSSPP only update it.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted