RattletraPM Jun 16, 2019.

1. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    oh, thanks.
    so Sept can run OFW without burning fuse too?
    then I can keep AutoRCM and boot stock updated FW.
    I'm unsure about that. if it's uses Sept, it might not be a clean undetectable OFW anymore.

or I'll have to buy a jig to keep uptated sysMMC and boot emuMMC

Last edited by Cyan, Jun 16, 2019
  2. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Can't be done. That said, hekates stock option just loads the bare minimum CFW needed to boot.

3. XxAsunaxX

XxAsunaxX Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2016
    I'm not ban, but i see that doesn't matter, thanks for clarifyiñg it for me.

4. Hiipswerf

Hiipswerf Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2019
    United States
    I only made a dirty NAND backup. Is there any way I can clean it? Aren't you able to build a NAND with choijourNX?

5. findonovan95

findonovan95 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Northern Ireland
    Hey, right on my birthday too! Good job guys, this update looks great! You've made some amazing progress here and I look forward to trying out some of the latest features.

6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I think formatting is like on Wii, WiiU, etc.
    it's only deleting the user settings, savegames and bought channels.
    it doesn't revert everything and keep tracks of changes (error report, etc.) which will be submitted on next server connection.

but I'm not tech savy here, someone with better understanding will confirm :)

Chocola likes this.
  7. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Meowgular

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    You are right, as I know hekate can boot stock firmware without apply anything, but still a bit risk because you use it to boot OFW.

The most safest way are clean and updated OFW (if you have unpatched RCM unit) and boot with power button like retail, if you like more safe, just don't forget remove SD card (with emummc and homebrew stuff) when you come to OFW for the case that N inspect and register SD card files.

Then let the emummc for CFW homebrew stuff, offline aswell, you gona need a jig and inject hekate to boot into your emummc.

This way can't be detectable, so it's the most safe way for now for unpatched RCM units, you gona still playing online with your sysnand, and playing with CFW and homebrew on your emummc (offline like always) without backup and restore your nand all times when you like to swap between it.

Remember put your Switch on airplane mode and/or remove wireless settings before do your emummc copy, the emummc never should go online, it's a copy of your OFW sysnand and contain data to identify your device, so if the emummc come online and send any telemetry of cfw or homebrew your device get banned and online services don't gona work anymore on your sysnand too.

Cyan likes this.
  8. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    Replying to your question:
    1. Yes, you can boot a NAND with a lower fuse count on a Switch by using Hekate (or any other bootloader). Booting without going through RCM will burn fuses.
    2. No, there is no way to boot into true OFW from RCM like with pre-7.0.x firmware.
    3. Yes, using a jig/joycon mod/modchip would be the best for a fusèe-gelee emuMMC setup as it's the only that will allow you to boot into true OFW (not to mention that, at least potentially, Nintendo could detect AutoRCM by verifying the boot partitions. There's no evidence that they ever did and it's unlikely they will due to potential false positives, but they technically could do it).
    I hope that helped! ^_^

Cyan likes this.
  9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    oh, you are right, I forgot about the dedicated SD card ;)
    good advice

Rattletra, you are right about detecting corrupted boot0 too, it could be done too.

I'll just buy a jig. I don't play online much, but we never know what would be required for future games (metroid prime4 or Zelda2)

10. Chocola

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    Yes you are right, the telemetry logs still on the device after clean it through settings, for now there is no way to safe clean the logs because they have a system to check the integrity of your logs, if you delete a log that are alreally sended or the log count have differences with the last telemetry message on their servers they detect it and ban the device.

11. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    will we be able to cold boot into ams sometime soon?

12. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I really hope I kept my console offline all the time since I hacked it. I always had DNS and proxy to access appstore.
    One day, I got "nintendo news" overlay info, I think I got it from another console's LAN (nifi). but maybe I did something wrong and am already banned. even though I used only homebrew and never installed or launched retail games, I got crashes so it might be logged.

13. bananapi761

bananapi761 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 8, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Norn Iron
    Quick question - if I were to set up emummc, delete a game that's on my SD from my system emmc without the SD inserted, then boot into emummc with the SD inserted, would the game be fully deleted? Or would it only be gone from my system emmc? Also if vice-versa, would the game icons return on my system emmc?

Last edited by bananapi761, Jun 16, 2019
  14. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    i guess using the emunand as ones 'clean' for online system is out of the question.

15. Chocola

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    Theorically, for privacy things, they can't send any telemetry data through nifi without the user consent and for now I didn't know any case of ban for use lan play, it's possible that you get a little update of news from another console (like you can get a updated version catalog for games and game updates from another device) but if you didn't connect your Switch directly to Internet, I think you still safe.

Can't trust it 100% because I put my Switch on airplane mode and only enable bluetooth for pro controller, never reach Internet and never play with another Switches. Only have CFW and homebrew for sake and fun (I'm developer and I enjoy a lot seeying the people stuff, the Switch scene are really awesome and I'm very impressed with the things of the people), all of my games are played with cartige and the only digital things are the DLC's (pucharsed from eShop) so didn't have any piracy stuff on my device.

I switch between OFW and CFW always with backup and restore of nand, and today are on OFW 8.1 online (with online subscription too) without problems, didn't try for now, but the emummc are the same thing that this without need to wait on backup and restore process (more sane for the MMC chip too because the restore process always write all sectors, it's a 1:1 copy).

So without come online on CFW (or emummc) and didn't forget remove the SD card with CFW and homebrew stuff when you come to OFW (didn't know if they can read and check files before, but it's a simple step and warranty the safe) can trust that they for now didn't detect anything and your Switch didn't gona get ban.

Last edited by Chocola, Jun 16, 2019
  16. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yeah, booting to emu makes it unclean, so you can't use it for online and updated purpose. The system one needs to be used for that, and emu for homebrew.
    it's reversed way than 3DS where you kept the system outdated (with the exploit) and the emu updated (for online).

17. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    That'd completely defeat emuMMC's purpose as you'd have to boot into full CFW to access it, making it unsafe for online play in the first place.

Being completely honest, I did accidentally go online with my CFW'd Switch a couple of times and I've restored my clean NAND some time ago to check. I'm still unbanned months later, so hey - it might've been just blind luck, but I guess you should be fine if you've taken most of the common precautions!

Cyan likes this.
  18. xtrem3x

xtrem3x GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2008
    What a complete load of garbage. All this post has done is made you look like one of those pathetic little fan boys that pop up on various forums spouting nonsense just because they prefer one product over another.

Both SX OS and Atmosphere are good and they both have their pros and cons.
    Some people prefer XCI over NSP, it depends how the end user decides to setup their switch.

I am sorry that $35 is a lot of money for you so you cannot draw up a fair unbiased comparison but that doesn't excuse trying to derail a thread at the earliest opportunity. It's also pretty lame trying to argue one is better than the other because one uses illegal files and the other doesn't when your switch is undoubtedly full of illegal games which you didn't purchase.

10 years ago trolls like this weren't around on gbatemp, it was all about community. Nobody was really bothered about one solution over another instead they worked towards a common goal. Unfortunately over time a lot of communities have been filling up with trolls like this one and it's a shame :(

19. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    definitely going to wait for 9.0.1 to be released

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

fs?

20. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Sysmodule the switch has. Handles filesystem stuff.

Darksabre72 likes this.