Atmosphère 0.9.0 released, introduces emuMMC support

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Jun 16, 2019.

1. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp's Official NAND/emuMMC multipurpose tool

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    Area 51
    EmuMMC is just a fancy term given to emuNAND in this case. Technically speaking they are basically the same thing.

2. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    nice , do you use ofw when you play your online games (from sx menu you launch ofw?)

yes it allows you to boot into ofw (i usually always updated my games this way and still haven't been banned after a year)

3. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    EmuMMC = correct term (in the switch's case)
    Emunand = old school term(nds/Wii)

That's all

mmajunkie77 and wicksand420 like this.
  4. ImLEBrAn

ImLEBrAn Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2019
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Same thing different name. You sure showed me.

5. KiwiDude

KiwiDude Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2019
    Germany
    I don't get the whole deal with versions. So, as of right now, does emuMMC only work for low firmwares? Or does the firmware only determine how you boot into OFW/CFW?

6. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I still dont get why people think nsp is better than xci... Id rather jut go to a menu for a sec to load a game than have to install and uninstall something every time the nand/sd card is full.
    Surely XCI from usb hdd trumps nsp???

Anyway on topic, its good that there are options for emunand now, personally i dont bother with either (Still unbanned) but i may in the future if the features of both CFWs are eventually combined. Atmos with xci from hdd and id move across without argument. Ive had my moneys worth out of my SX purchase so im happy either way.

7. Phenj

Phenj GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    Italy
    Waiting for Atmosphere 0.9.1 and new Hekate, then i'll migrate my emuNAND from SX-OS to Atmosphere.
    Still gotta figure out the fastest way to do that...

Last edited by Phenj, Jun 16, 2019
  8. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Nice work.

Been waiting for this one for quite a while.

Will be using this.

Also to quickly clarify my guess as to why it's emuMMC:
    • This is the same implementation that SX does for their emuMMC, except it's much saner.
    • This is not the method they want to permanently keep using, afaik the eventual intent is to switch (heh) over to using thermosphere, which is specifically making use of the EL2 mode of the Switch. This is not thermosphere. The reason they don't have thermosphere as of yet is because they ran into memory issues with making thermosphere. (there's only three memory pages of RAM for EL2).
    • Plus of course, the already stated technically better definition.
    Also, I heard that the file method is kinda broken in this release, so you'll have to use the partition method for now (which is better anyways.)

Budsixz and Essasetic like this.
  9. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    What would be the difference to what we have now vs thermosphere (their eventual target)?

10. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    User-end wise? Nothing.

Background wise, it's a tad cleaner as it doesn't rely on patching fs.

Essasetic likes this.
  11. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Meowgular

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    The current implementation are a file system redirection, the EL2 Mode are a virtualization through hypervisor and more optimized for ARM chipsets.

Essasetic likes this.
  12. xwizit

xwizit GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    Hey Guys

Can i clarify

Currently i have atmos on 7.01. Switched over from sx os a while ago. love it.

With this emunand, what are the main advantages?

Can i use emunand and play retail games online with a higher firmware? i remember on 3ds early days, you can keep sysnand on low, and then have an emunand on high firmware, and go online and keep emunand "clean". is this the case here?

13. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Meowgular

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    If you have unpatched unit the most recommended case for emunand are clean ofw on sysnand and cfw and homebrew stuff on the emummc.

You need boot with hekate and apply patches to filesystem, so it can be detectable.

You don't need to worry if you have unpatched RCM unit, you always gona can inject payloads to RCM, so stay on clean and last version of OFW on sysnand are safe, the other approach are for patched units that can run software exploits to enter on RCM mode, but as I said before, are risky because the "patched boot" are detectable.

14. xwizit

xwizit GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2016

So the safest thing is still 100% clean second unit?

15. Agahniim

Agahniim Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2019
    Belgium
    damn it. I only have a tainted nand. :cry: I guess there is no real use for me then

16. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    If you have an unclean NAND, either through piracy or tampering with stuff you shouldn't, but have kept it always offline and still have a clean NAND backup, do the following:
    • Backup your unclean NAND
    • Restore your clean NAND
    • Set up the unclean NAND for emuMMC
    Should be easy, but is probably handy.

DbGt, MartyDreamy and RattletraPM like this.
  17. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Thank you for your effort and work :)

So what I think, feel free to correct me as I may not be up to date with switch scene:

- I did a MMC backup on a clean switch 4.1, so I'll have to restore it. (I never updated sysMMC, so my fuses are not burned either)
    if you updated sysMMC you had to be sure you didn't burned fuse to be able to restore the MMC.

- I'm using AutoRCM (I don't have a jig)

- the purpose would be to be on clean updated sysMMC to access online games (for example), and use an exploit to boot emuMMC offline (for homebrew).

- if I update to 7.0 and more, I think I've read that Hekate can't run "stock" anymore to boot OFW without burning fuses, so I'll have to update to >7.0 with burned fuses (not really a problem if I don't want to go back to lower firmware).
    but then, as there's no way to boot OFW from AutoRMC, I'll have to disable it to be able to boot OFW.

- I could use (unreleased) deja vu 7.0< exploit to boot into CFW without jig, but if the purpose is to keep sysMMC updated (past 7.0) then I lose that feature and need a jig to boot into emuMMC.

- if fuses are burned, emuMMC still work on mismatched CFW right?

so, am I right ?
    - sysMMC : updated, burned fuses
    - no autoRCM anymore (cause hekate doesn't boot stock FW anymore). Or maybe I missed the fix from hekate?
    - jig required to boot into emuMMC

Is there no "official payload booter" to replace hekate's stock option ? a way to boot the official one, like if there were no autoRCM ? it'll burn fuse, but then autoRCM will still be there and atmosphere will still work with incompatible fuse number.

we could have a payload (like ArgonNX) to choose what to boot : stock, emu, linux, hekate. (and be careful not to boot other CFW using sysMMC, like hekate->cfw)

Last edited by Cyan, Jun 16, 2019
    fledge68 likes this.
  18. XxAsunaxX

XxAsunaxX Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2016
    Since my dumb self never backup a clean NAND, would formatting the Switch make it clean?

19. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    no
    even less if you are already banned, formatting will not unban you.

it'll only give you issues to restore your savegame and reinstall everything

Last edited by Cyan, Jun 16, 2019
  20. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Nop.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No, 7.x and up rely on sept. It doesn't burn extra fuses.

Cyan likes this.