Hacking Atmosphere 0.8 released 6.2.0 working

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm a little confused that EmuNAND is not part of .8--wasn't that supposed to be the key feature of this release?

Looking at the github, it seems like this feature isn't a priority right now. I wonder if the Atmosphere team has another solution to preventing online bans.
I rather take working CFW on 6.2.0 than over a Emunand.

lostreverie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rather take working CFW on 6.2.0 than over a Emunand.

I agree with you, but they wouldn't have to bump the version to .8 for that. They've changed their release plans to no longer specify when EmuNAND will be implemented; the overall impression I get is that EmuNAND went from a high priority feature to a low priority feature. It strikes me as odd because people seem to be having success avoiding bans by keeping an EmuNAND partition in airplane mode on SX OS.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I agree with you, but they wouldn't have to bump the version to .8 for that. They've changed their release plans to no longer specify when EmuNAND will be implemented; the overall impression I get is that EmuNAND went from a high priority feature to a low priority feature. It strikes me as odd because people seem to be having success avoiding bans by keeping an EmuNAND partition in airplane mode on SX OS.
It doesn't say it needs to be 0.8, so it's nothing special. This is more a pressing issue than Emunand and the protection implemented hopefully stops people from bricking switches. Now, enjoy a pint! It's friday!

Reactions: lostreverie

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree, great news for 6.2 but I am waiting on EmuNAND before updating.
I want to keep sysnand clean and up to date with online and emu for everything else on whatever firmware offline.

Reactions: lostreverie

Condemned87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks to the Atmosphere Team - good work! But I will wait now for the incoming SX OS update, should not take longer than a few days... because the work is already done. ;)
SX OS is still the best complete package.

Reactions: Ita54_2

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so what happens when something tries to go against these features? like, what happens when you install and run pikabricker? does it just not do anything, is there warnings, will it just not install at all?
The answer is right there in the release notes..
Please note: these protections are basic, and sufficiently malicious homebrew can defeat them.

Reactions: peteruk

bakasaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
converted xci's doesn't work. can't even install.

Attachments

• 47038952_254591538542365_18771627013570560_n.jpg
    47038952_254591538542365_18771627013570560_n.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 257

gianm93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am on 5.0.1, should I upgrade to 6.2.0? I know that Atmosphere will always work on my fw but I want know if there is some advantages on have 6.2.0 fw

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: Justinde75

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if you dump your cartridge to XCI and convert it to NSP using a keys.txt that you created on (and by) your Switch it's completely legal.

That very much depends on what country you are in. A lot of countries have anti circumvention laws now which override the laws that used to allow backups & not all countries allowed backups to begin with.

Last edited by smf,

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little confused that EmuNAND is not part of .8--wasn't that supposed to be the key feature of this release?

Looking at the github, it seems like this feature isn't a priority right now. I wonder if the Atmosphere team has another solution to preventing online bans.

Thermosphere is a priority, but I'm stalled on a technical implementation issue regarding memory constraints that I can't come up with a solution for. I'm working on it.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The answer is right there in the release notes..

no it isn't. this speaks of sufficiently malicious.
pikabricker is the least amount of maliciousness required to actually affect us. i assume these protective measures specifically target at least that low effort level of attack by protecting boot1 from corruption.

i'm wondering how that looks in practice (though i am obviously too chicken to test it myself)

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

ssssss13

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.