Firmware Atmosphère 0.7.0 Switch custom firmware out now

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    Up until now we did not have full control of the system. Now things can be taken a little further and cool features (like usb over pc ala vitashell) can be achieved.

2. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Ultra LOL
    They used Tetris, Pong and Sudoku as examples for homebrew games?
    What the actual FUCK?!
    We have every Quake and Doom from the very first one up to Quake 3 and Doom 3 running on this shit, at least try to make it more attractive for the masses for fuck's sake xD

DarthDub likes this.
  3. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    It's a pretty old list for the most part, I'm open to new suggestions for that list, it admittedly is very unappealing.

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  4. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    I think Atmosphere devs provided the barebones to a true CFW. I'm sure down the line we'll see this feature pop up (probably as a kip?):P

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  5. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Well I gotta give credit where it's due, having RetroArch there sure is one way to appeal to it.
    As for homebrew games, man are there a LOT.
    For one, check all of fgsfds ports.
    He has everything from Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3, Doom 3 and he's even working on a port of the GZDoom engine, which opens up the possibilities for playing anything like Brutal Doom and other cool mods right on the Switch.
    https://github.com/fgsfdsfgs?tab=repositories

As for other games, there's Duke Nukem 3D ported, KgDoom, Chocolate Doom, Wolfenstein 3D through Wolf4SDL, Descent 1 & 2, and perhaps many, many more I'm not even aware of at the moment.
    But by far the most impressive ports so far are those of @fgsfds, no doubt. Full on OpenGL HW acceleration use, and it shows in all of the Quake and Doom 3 ports.

PS: Btw, if you were the one that made the guide, no offence or anything, I know the listed games that might appeal are not top priority, but thought they could surely add to the attractiveness of the CFW, and homebrew as a whole.

Last edited by ShadowOne333, Oct 17, 2018
    Ev1l0rd likes this.
  6. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    I don't think the devs said they wouldn't support homebrew access ti the extra ram no? Heck they could even come up with a custom hb launcher which grants this access (looking at reimplemented task manager here).

7. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Yeah, I wrote it. That said, the guide is technically a fork of a much older one and that list was kinda there as a base, with me only having added RetroArch and SudokuNX to it, so zero offense taken at all lol.

Added Chocolate Doom, Doom 3, Quake, Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem 3D to the list of games, thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by Ev1l0rd, Oct 17, 2018
    ShadowOne333 likes this.
  8. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Welcome :)
    I tried to list as most as I could out of memory, there might be others but I'm not aware of those.

Ev1l0rd likes this.
  9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Then RetroArch and N64 would be useless on here, because it HAS to have access to more RAM, otherwise, it will run like hot garbage in the future. No offense to them, but that's a bullshit decision. Why would anyone use this if it's this limiting?

No mention of NSP app installs (no extra RAM access, RAM-dependent apps will run worse), turnoff IMO.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Oct 17, 2018
  10. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    NSP isn't forever the only way to launch an app that has full memory is I think the point. The current release may do diddly squat, but being able to arbitrarily run any executable means the tools are there to achieve this in the future.

11. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Time to stop whining about nsp app installs. It just needs one patch to be built for your particular firmware version and thrown in the right place in the atmosphere folder. The glorious Raugo just built it for 5.1.0 with exfat support (patches are different for the same firmware version with and without exfat support activated), and shared it here in the Atmosphere thread. People will build other versions for every other firmware in the next day or two (don't pester Raugo). It's tested working on my 5.1.0w/exfat, I can run the devmenu nsp and homebrew menu nsp that I previously had installed with sx os, that wouldn't run on atmosphere until I installed this patch.

edit from the future: go here instead for all your needed patches in one place, for all firmware versions.

Last edited by hippy dave, Oct 18, 2018
  12. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    NO XCI LOADING, NO STEALTH MODE, NO USB HDD LOADING??? NO THANKS! SXOS FTW!

But yeah seriously, this opens up a whole new domain in Switch homebrew.
    Great job with this and thank you! waiting for Thermosphere now!

13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I just everything was more combined/consolidated, less of a hassle to set up on Switch.

14. Brunexter

Brunexter Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2018
    Brazil
    With CFW atmosphere, I can install the games direct from usb hdd?

15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    No

ultimatepump likes this.
  16. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Zumoly likes this.
  17. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    The only application that needed NSP installation from what I know were retroNX/retroArchs beta N64 cores, which iirc I read would be adjusted when a stable release for those comes out to not need an NSP installation.

As long as NSP/expanded memory is not a major need for homebrew, I see no reason to add it to the guide yet. Once it becomes a need, I'll look into adding it.

18. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    You have added nx-hbloader v2.0.0. Did your mind change already or just added it for the masses?

Edit: Also, thanks for the guide. It's easy to read, easy to understand, easy to follow. If anyone finds it difficult to follow, then they shouldn't be doing this in the first place, lol. ^_^

19. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Oh wait, it's just changing the nsp? In that case, consider it done lol.

I thought the nsp had to be installed. If that's not needed, then it works:tm:.

OrGoN3 likes this.
  20. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    I'm not sure, actually. I just noticed you added the nsp to the downloaded files. It might need to be installed. I have no idea. The release notes for nx-hbloader say "The provided binary is an ExeFS PFS0 .nsp, which can be placed at /atmosphere/hbl.nsp, or loaded through some other ExeFS replacement method.". I'm not sure if that counts as loading it as an applet or not, as it still supports that.