Atmosphère 0.19.0 released; adds support for Switch firmware 12.0.0

atmosphere.png

@SciresM has released the latest version of Atmosphère. Version 0.19.0 adds support for Nintendo Switch on firmware 12.0.0 and the release is also bundled with hbl 2.4.1, and hbmenu 3.4.0. In addition to some stability improvements and bug fixes, version 0.19.0 of Atmosphère includes improvements to mesosphere. The release note mentions that the current focus of Atmosphère's development is on the implementation of the host target connection protocol.

You can find the full changelog below or in the source link:

The following was changed since the last release:
  • Support was added for 12.0.0.
    • mesosphère was updated to reflect the latest official kernel behavior.
    • sm, boot2, pgl were updated to reflect the latest official behaviors.
      • Please Note: 12.0.0 added a new protocol for IPC ("tipc"), which has been freshly reimplemented in its entirety.
        • It is possible there may be as of yet unfound issues; if there are, please send the appropriate crash reports to SciresM (SciresM#0524 on discord).
        • Homebrew which uses atmosphere extensions (including the mitm API) will need to be re-compiled in order to function on 0.19.0.
          • I apologize for this, but it's unavoidable for technical reasons. If you're affected by this and mad about it, please contact SciresM to complain.
    • erpt was partially updated to reflect the latest official behaviors.
      • New features were added to erpt to track the activity of running applets, and to detect when a forced shutdown occurs.
      • These behaviors have been temporarily stubbed, as they are not necessary for 12.0.0 to run (and their outputs won't be saved anywhere).
      • A future atmosphère update will implement these behaviors, in the interest of reflecting official logic as faithfully as we can.
  • Atmosphère no longer uses the /contents/ folder for its own programs.
    • Atmosphère's system modules are now bundled together in the single file "stratosphere.romfs".
      • For those working on developing for atmosphère, executables inside the /contents/ directory will be preferred to those in "stratosphere.romfs".
    • Please Note: In order to facilitate this change (and the desired behavior), the first time you boot after extracting a release zip, atmosphère system modules inside /contents/ will be deleted.
      • This will have no impact on user programs (it only removes programs with specific program ids).
  • Improvements were made to mesosphere, including:
    • An extension InfoType was added for getting the current process handle, without having to spawn a thread and do IPC with oneself.
    • An issue was fixed in SvcSetDebugThreadContext.
    • An issue was fixed when doing IPC with user buffers.
  • Support was fixed for toggling the custom setting usb!usb30_force_enabled on 9.0.0+.
    • This was broken by Nintendo's introducing a dependency that made USB a requirement to launch before custom settings are parsed.
    • Since the fix, you can now toggle the setting (as you could prior to atmosphère 0.9.4), and it will work as expected.
    • Please Note: Enabling USB 3.0 often severely impacts wireless communications.
      • Because of this, the setting will default to off. If you experience issues with it enabled, consider disabling it.
  • A warning was added to daybreak when resetting the console to factory settings.
  • Substantial work was completed towards atmosphere's upcoming implementation of the host target connection protocol.
    • Once completed, users will be able to interact with a Switch running atmosphère via a PC application ("Starlink") currently under development.
      • Planned eventual features for connected consoles include a gdbstub, interacting with memory (for cheat development), streaming gameplay audio and video, and accessing the Switch's SD card filesystem.
      • Switch homebrew will also have access to a (configurable and sandboxed) filesystem on the host PC, while connected.
    • Towards this end, the following was accomplished:
      • The "htc" system module was reimplemented completely.
      • The system module which provides remote access to the SD card was reimplemented completely.
    • This is currently the active focus of atmosphère's development.
    • Please Note: Support is not yet completed, and users are disadvised from interacting with the related settings for the time being, unless they particularly know what they're doing.
  • A number of minor issues were fixed, including:
    • A bug was fixed in dmnt that could cause a fatal when launching certain games with cheats active.
    • An issue was fixed that could cause an abort in sm when using a large number of custom system modules.
    • An issue was fixed that prevented launching gamecards on 1.0.0.
    • Minor issues were fixed in the cheat virtual machine's behavior.
  • Several issues were fixed, and usability and stability were improved.

:arrow: SOURCE

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If he gets out of jail, we will (I'm guessing) probably see another update come about.
I know with my history people are going to take this the wrong way, but I really hope he doesn't do that. If he gets out of this entire mess, his best option would be not to get himself right back into the same situation that got him arrested in the first place. If he can get it out it the first time, then it would be best for him to just count his losses and move onto less legally questionable endeavors. I have my issues with Gary but I honestly still don't want to see him getting hurt nor would I want to see him arrested again if he's able to get out of this one.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Cylent1 and banjo2

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to poke the bear but why do people have the “need” to update immediately. Ever since I updated to 11.0.1 most my homebrew doesn’t even work anymore and I have to search for compatible applications so I can imagine 12.0.0 will be the same thing

no current game needs 12.0.0 so why update

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I hate to poke the bear but why do people have the “need” to update immediately. Ever since I updated to 11.0.1 most my homebrew doesn’t even work anymore and I have to search for compatible applications so I can imagine 12.0.0 will be the same thing

I think most of the problems are coming from atmosphere's latest update, not the OS. At least that's what happened on my end and even the latest update (0.19.1) didn't fixed anything I had when I updated to 0.19
Should have stayed with 0.18 :wacko:

Reactions: Goku1992A

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think most of the problems are coming from atmosphere's latest update, not the OS. At least that's what happened on my end and even the latest update (0.19.1) didn't fixed anything I had when I updated to 0.19
Should have stayed with 0.18 :wacko:

I jumped from 10.0.2 to 11.0.1 most of my apps don't work PSNES, PFBA, PNES and also NXMTP I have to now search for compatible versions. I also missed the DEV menu that I used to have on 9.0.1 the more we update the more features we lose

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom

This is the right way to think. I know way too many people (Switch and PS4 scene) who always update to latest and whine at me because nothing works the same.

Why are people so capable to update but incapable of thinking of the implications?

Until something requires 12.0.0: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is the right way to think. I know way too many people (Switch and PS4 scene) who always update to latest and whine at me because nothing works the same.

My default is to always update, but if downgrading is not an option & it looks like I'll regret it then I take a more cautious approach.

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My default is to always update, but if downgrading is not an option & it looks like I'll regret it then I take a more cautious approach.
I always hang back. Give it a few weeks to iron out bugs (0.19.1 is out now), and then update only if I need to. I would rather downgrade an NSP than update and fuck everything up.

Reactions: Tumbleweed

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, it means Atmosphère no longer uses it for its own stuff. Other games/applications use it as they always have.

does it apply for programms like Aldebaran/Starfall (Fire Emblem 3H Modloader) and other things too? they have a part which belongs in the contents folder

britain4

Trophies
XP
Country
I updated my emuNAND to 12.0.0 and AMS 0.19.1, works totally fine apart from a few bits of homebrew not working. SaltyNX, sys-con and Mission Control for me so far.

The update brings absolutely nothing of relevance to me so I might downgrade back to 0.18 and 11.0.1 until more homebrew gets updated

fjay69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Atmosphere 0.19.1. I can't open HB menu in Title Mode (run any game while holding R button). Can you?
UPD: Nevermind. I tried another game.

Last edited by fjay69,
D

Deleted User

In the nro2nsp thread they said forwarders are broken on 12.0.

I will not be updating until someone points a gun to my head, or if No More Heroes 3 requires 12.0 in August one or the other.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: What the heck is that emote SylverReZ using?