1. 10,584

Front-page
    Persona-5-Royal-800x400.jpg

In just over a month, Persona 5 will return to the PlayStation 4 to take players' hearts once more, in the updated re-release of Persona 5 Royal. The game, which already launched in Japan last October, is slated for a March 31st release in the west, where it has been confirmed that it will have two scenes edited from its original version. The changes revolve around two minor cutscenes in the game, where two "stereotypical gay men" approach the player characters as a gag, In the game's original western launch, these scenes were met with mixed reception, with certain players finding the content offensive, which has lead to Atlus USA believing that the release of Royal is the perfect time to "update it for the current generation".

In an interview exclusive to IGN, Atlus USA's Communications Manager said that these two scenes would be changed, as to not cast the men in a "negative light".

In a separate exclusive interview with Gamespot, localization manager Yu Namba commented the following, regarding the content in question.

If you're curious to see the original Persona 5's version of those scenes, they both have been linked below.

2. Discussion (225 replies)

3. jesterscourt

jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I wonder if they will patch the updated scenes in the original release of P5.

4. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

United States
    As much as I hate homophobia, I hate censorship. I haven't seen the scene yet, but if I were to play the game blind I'd prefer it to be unchanged.

5. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    I'm sure there's many things to argue, from Atlus previously being in favor of "censorship" in the past (TMS#FE), or that any form of censorship is bad no matter what, but this amounts to literally 1 minute of content out of a 90+ hour RPG. I couldn't care less about the changes, honestly.

Xabring, Seliph, Darksabre72 and 12 others like this.
  6. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
  7. matias3ds

matias3ds GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Gay = fem for the guys behand the game . There are Masculine gay guys .

8. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

United States
    i see your point and i can respect it, but imo i disagree with censoring a game wither it's big or small

Last edited by Darksabre72, Feb 19, 2020
  9. James_

James_ pretty much the only Meowstic on GBAtemp

United Kingdom
    insert Scott the Woz reference here

nolimits59 and PineappleGod like this.
  10. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

United States
    Just watched the original scene, it wasn't even bad, I wonder who can be sensitive enough to be offended by it.

I already played through the JP version but it sucks the west get neutered games because of a few people whining

I wonder what else Atlus USA has changed, I doubt this is the only difference.

Last edited by whateverg1012, Feb 19, 2020
  11. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Greece
    Alright, this is way past absurd, why are SJWs constantly ruining great games with this bullshit? It's bad enough that only few days ago they made a great translator quit completely, but now they are getting big companies like Atlus to change their games...:/

12. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    About 2 or 3 overly sensitive gay people that whine on twitter, followed by a mob of people that have no clue what the context even is but retweet it and post death threats to the developers just because they like dick as well.
    Current internet culture is cancer.

13. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    I thought Persona 5 was already out for this generation

Peninsula likes this.
  14. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

United States
    And this happens with absolutely anything, not just "sjws".

DarthDub, Heichart, Sono and 2 others like this.
  15. Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    I bet, those who complained about the scene arent even gay. Just some pathetic PC soldiers.

Boesy likes this.
  16. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    Sjw game journo's crying out on twitter ofcourse

17. supergamer368

supergamer368 this isn’t bookworm adventures deluxe

United States
    shouldn’t have changed it, but at the same time whooooo caaaaares. it’s nothing game-changing so whatever. maybe atlus’ll leave it alone next time.... not.

MarkDarkness and banjo2 like this.
  18. SexySpai

SexySpai i dont know

United States
    Gay :/

Last edited by SexySpai, Feb 19, 2020
  19. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    I hear they're stuck in an era where they think they can REEEEEEE to get their way.

Give them an inch, they'll demand a mile.

The best thing to do is to tell them that if they hate it so much, they can simply not buy the game...like ResetERA's broke, indebted-to-student-loans-ass was gonna do in the first place!

And I heard that this re-release wasn't exactly selling like hotcakes either (probably because, to be quite honest, it really doesn't add much to the original that couldn't have been on the level of Mass Effect 3's Extended Cut ending was to the game it was supporting), so if this one shits the bed sales-wise, maybe ATLUS will get the stick out of their ass from Soyny and start porting ALL of their non-spinoff games to the Switch in regions other than Japan and tell Sony this:

LonelyPhantom likes this.
  20. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    so what a hate group would boycot a game if unchanged boo hooo only a drop in the bucket compared to the copies sold they probably triggered more boycotts by editing those 2 scenes out

21. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    As a heterosexual guy myself, those two scenes were...weird. They were only really funny because Ryuji was in a bind, yknow?

This, I don't really mind disappearing. They could've easily have 'aged up' the cast (all of whom are obviously teens, especially Futaba) or not directly referenced sexual harassment/assault (...why did Kamoshida become a generic superhero in Q2?), or covered up some of the more provocative designs (Shadow Sae, a couple of Personas), but they didn't. This is incredibly minor, and I don't mind.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - homophobic, Persona, western