Atlus shares new footage of upcoming Persona 3 Portable remaster

jggfgd.png

Early next year will see the release of modernized versions of Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden, the former of which has not seen a re-release since its initial launch on the PlayStation Portable in 2009. Atlus has decided to share some new information about the games, and give an actual launch date for both. Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden will be available on PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S (included with Game Pass), and Nintendo Switch, and will retail for 1,980 yen--about $15 USD.

New to these versions of the games is the ability to choose your difficulty level at the start of the game, as well as switch between them at any time during the story. A quick save feature has been implemented as well, which lets players save at any time, as opposed to needing save points to do so. This release of P4G will also see the addition of an album, where you can replay scenes from social links at any time. and see the different dialogue options you might have missed.

A 4-minute trailer was posted to Twitter, showing off some gameplay footage, giving a closer look at what the remastered graphics.

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated than just emulating the PS2 version and taking screengrabs. It *is* using the environment models from the console version, but they're rendered images, not just screengrabs. To match P3P, you'd have to use the original environment assets and modify them to fix any missing geometry that wasn't originally modeled for viewing at that angle, and then render them to images for every background in the game.
Atlus *could* have spent the money to do this amount of work, but chose not to.
It's kind of the same reason fan efforts to remaster P3P haven't gone to that trouble, except fan efforts don't have a studio budget and access to the source code and original assets to fall back on.
Ah that sucks they do look close enough to the PS2 locations I thought they were screengrabs but looking at the angles now yeah there are notable differences. They still really should of spent the money though it looks atrocious. Maybe they have lost the original assets or just wanted to go the easy route of upscaling. I don't think I've seen a worse upscale job from an official remaster. Someone needs to give them a better AI upscaler or one specifically trained for this game.

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I suspected, what a shame. 4 Golden is great though, pricing is solid as well. Don't think I'll double dip on neither of these two being digital only.

3 Portable is still more enjoyable on the PSP and Vita I would have to argue. I can't imagine playing 3 Portable on a television anyways, plus mods make 3 a little better with the cutscene restoration pack and slight QoL improvements and model enhancements.

Atlus really did the bare minimum bringing 3 over. Convinced FES ain't leaving the PS2

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now if they had a switch party option during battle that would be neat. but that would require adding a new person to earn link's for.

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah that sucks they do look close enough to the PS2 locations I thought they were screengrabs but looking at the angles now yeah there are notable differences. They still really should of spent the money though it looks atrocious. Maybe they have lost the original assets or just wanted to go the easy route of upscaling. I don't think I've seen a worse upscale job from an official remaster. Someone needs to give them a better AI upscaler or one specifically trained for this game.
The only worse upscale I can think of is Rune Factory 4 Special lmao
And even with upscalers trained on specific games, it'll never be as good as just... re-rendering the assets they should still have access to.

Last edited by AttackOtter,

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, i guess this is for those who haven't played it already (P3 FES or this version), and/ or have no other alternative..

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I honestly wish it was FES but I'll take what I can get I guess. Persona 3 means a lot for my childhood so I'm basically a sucker to buy it either way.
nah. i prefer to stick with emulation (btw do you guys know that retroachievments added ps2 on their lists?) or play p3fes on my ps2.
persona 4 golden, on the other hand, worth buying for sure. it expands the original with good new content without downgrading to a visual novel.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
nah. i prefer to stick with emulation (btw do you guys know that retroachievments added ps2 on their lists?) or play p3fes on my ps2.
persona 4 golden, on the other hand, worth buying for sure. it expands the original with good new content without downgrading to a visual novel.
Fair point, I have played FES on pcsx2 but haven't been able to get RA to work, since I play on my steam deck I'll still have the best of both worlds regardless.

Reactions: MadMakuFuuma

SA-XRESPECTER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fans are literally doing a better job remastering this game than Atlus, for both FES and Portable! One guy even got 3D overworlds in P3P. And then Atlus has the nerve to slap Denuvo on this turd. Remember when they used to be a good company?

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yep, not buying P3P. Hell no. I'll just keep P4G and P5R, thanks.

Besides, I've already got plenty of other games to hold my interest - finishing said P5R again, this time on PC (almost done; about to send Ship calling card), then need to finish Pokemon Violet, and then move on to AI: The Somnium Files. There's also going through The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles again, Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Miles Morales on PC, and plenty of others. I really do not have the time for such a mediocre, disappointing rerelease of a downscaled port with a shitty, pointless, non-canon feMC route.

I wonder how many hearts we'd need to change to get them to port over FES...?
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and Denuvo too. Truly, Atlus' higher-ups are in desperate need of a change of heart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over