Atlus shares new footage of upcoming Persona 3 Portable remaster

jggfgd.png

Early next year will see the release of modernized versions of Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden, the former of which has not seen a re-release since its initial launch on the PlayStation Portable in 2009. Atlus has decided to share some new information about the games, and give an actual launch date for both. Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden will be available on PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S (included with Game Pass), and Nintendo Switch, and will retail for 1,980 yen--about $15 USD.

New to these versions of the games is the ability to choose your difficulty level at the start of the game, as well as switch between them at any time during the story. A quick save feature has been implemented as well, which lets players save at any time, as opposed to needing save points to do so. This release of P4G will also see the addition of an album, where you can replay scenes from social links at any time. and see the different dialogue options you might have missed.

A 4-minute trailer was posted to Twitter, showing off some gameplay footage, giving a closer look at what the remastered graphics.

Randy Steele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a lazy ass port. How does this even fly over 10 years after something as fantastic as P4G came out!? I don't want to complain just for the sake of complaining but to just port over the psp version with slightly better visuals seems incredibly lazy to me considering they could've combined the best parts of P3P and FES to make the definitive version of the game. Instead we're stuck with the static images rather than the in game cutscenes.
Ehh whatever, atleast the game is more accessible to people unaware of emulation/people lacking the technical knowhow to get a psp emulator up and running so that's something.

Reactions: Naster

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really wish they made a definitive edition instead of just deciding Portable is the definitive one now. I think we all hoped this would be P3P in terms of content but with the presentation style of P3 or P3F with 3D exploration rather than point and click menus for the world and cutscenes. The FeMC route adds a lot of exclusive content and actually encourages a second playthrough which is pretty cool. But keeping the PSP visual novel esque presentation will just make the game feel more dated than it should have. P3 and P4 were on the same hardware originally and now it'll feel like if there was a generational gap.
Dunno if i'd want The Answer though as it actively ruins the great ending P3 had just to squeeze 20 extra hours of playtime which aren't that great to begin with.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I wish they made P3P a mobile remaster and P3FES for consoles and PC.

Well, I guess I can easily play P3P via PPSSPP but it would be nice to have better touch controls.

Persona 3 has a big place in my heart though. It was the first Persona game I have ever played and I was instantly hooked.

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I already have a physical copy of FES and a working PS2 so I don't need to get Portable, and I own P4G on Steam already (I hadn't messed with modding yet so I missed the blowback there). I might get P3P on switch just to play the FeMC route but other than that... m'eh. The big prize was getting to play P5 without resorting to shenanigans.

7hornadus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wait, P3 Portable? Why not FES? After all these years they will finally release this game for PC and they choose the worst version? WTF 🤨

Last edited by 7hornadus,

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
P3P is cheaper to remaster (and let's be real here, they're just using AI upscaling and not actually remastering from the original assets, which is why the character sprites and backgrounds are all smeary).
Actually making a definitive version of P3 with both the PSP and FES content would require development time and money, and we all know Atlus hates spending money when they can make a quick buck.

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
P3P's visual novel cutscene backgrounds are suffering from severe Waifu2x syndrome - looking awfully muddy and smeary. They are just screenshots of the PS2 assets so I wish they just emulated the PS2 version and took higher quality screenshots for better assets if they were going to remaster P3P.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

AnimatedSwine37

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They will, there have been some unrest in the modding community as the upcoming updates will break the existing mods
Yeah, the game's being updated to match the codebase of the new console ports including changing the filesystem to use cri cpks and making the game 64 bit.

Most mods will be fine since the file structure inside the cpks is the same as it was before so all creators will have to do is reupload with either minimal manual effort or an automated tool.

The big problem comes with mods that patch the game's code since it's now very different (and unless they mess up again we no longer have a denuvoless version to work with). They'll have to be either significantly changed or just completely rewritten.
We know all this for sure because a beta version of it was accidentally made public for a short time in November :)

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
P3P's visual novel cutscene backgrounds are suffering from severe Waifu2x syndrome - looking awfully muddy and smeary. They are just screenshots of the PS2 assets so I wish they just emulated the PS2 version and took higher quality screenshots for better assets if they were going to remaster P3P.
Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated than just emulating the PS2 version and taking screengrabs. It *is* using the environment models from the console version, but they're rendered images, not just screengrabs. To match P3P, you'd have to use the original environment assets and modify them to fix any missing geometry that wasn't originally modeled for viewing at that angle, and then render them to images for every background in the game.
Atlus *could* have spent the money to do this amount of work, but chose not to.
It's kind of the same reason fan efforts to remaster P3P haven't gone to that trouble, except fan efforts don't have a studio budget and access to the source code and original assets to fall back on.

Reactions: ChanseyIsTheBest

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1