Ati Driver hangs at detection of hardware

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by cheez203, Dec 30, 2010.

Dec 30, 2010
  1. cheez203
    OP

Member cheez203 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    hi guys. I bought a new video card today, the ati radeon hd 5570. I installed it and downloaded the latest video card drivers from ati's site. When i install them, the installation gets to the point where it says detecting graphics hardware but the check never finishes. It goes on and never stops and i have to restart the computer to get rid of the catalyst process to try again. I have tried using driver sweeper in safe mode and normal mode and the installation still freezes. I go to my hard rive and search ati in the search bar and i get many dll's and other files that start with "ati". I dont want to delete all of them incase something might happen. These files were not removed by driver sweeper. I erased all ati folders using regedit. nothing seems to work. I have windows vista home premium 32 bit. I have uninstalled the device from device manager and removed all the installation folders on my hardrive to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
  3. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Might want to double check the OS for the driver and re-download the driver to be safe.

I had a similar problem once when trying to force either an xp or vista install listed driver for my motherboard (ati components) off the CD since there were no win7 drivers when trying to trouble shoot a problem, and it would just hang as you mentioned since it was a driver/OS mismatch.

Good luck.

4. cheez203
    OP

Member cheez203 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I re-downloaded multiple times and left it running overnight. Ive narrowed it down to a problem with vista which some people have. It can be fixed by reinstalling the OS which fixes it 100%. I dont really want to do that because i cannot backup all my data and i dont believe there is a way to fully reinstall vista without formatting the drive for the install so i am going to return the card back. Thanks for the help anyway!

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I haven't used it for ages, but didn't Vista introduce the ability to just turn Windows into Windows.old - ergo not requiring a complete format?

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    yes however this requires vista on there already

windows 7 needs vista or win 7 on there

7. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    On Windows 7, you can do the windows.old thing with Windows XP installed on the computer.
    Just run from Windows XP, not at boot.

8. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    That implies Vista is already there. Anyway, thanks for confirming my half-remembered point.