ROM Hack Atelier Lina ~The Alchemist of Strahl~

Polling for interest.

• Yes, I'm interested. / Yes, I would play this game if it were translated to english.

Votes: 146 84.4%
  • Yes, I'm interested and would consider volunteering or donating to help support the project.

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • No, I'm not interested / No, I wouldn't play this game if it were translated.

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

gshock

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
4590r.jpg

25840189.png

Polling to see if there's interest in a translation of the game: Atelier Lina ~The Alchemist of Strahl~ (NDS) to justify working on it.

I enjoyed the prequel to this game in the same series: Atelier Annie.

But I was disappointed Gust only translated & ported "Atelier Annie" for NDS and a few PS2 games from the Atelier series. Most titles are japanese only and have not been translated into other languages.

I checked into Atelier Lina and it seems simple and strait forward enough to do a translation for.

It won't be a massive project, since anyone who's played Atelier games knows there's more text and character dialogue then an action game but significantly less then most RPGs or 'visual novel' type games.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play all the Atelier RPG games. Like the Tales of series, I enjoy their cliched JRPG gameplay and stories.

amc9988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I like Atelier Annie, but she looks so much like a boy, but this one Lina at least looks like a girl so yeah, I'm interested!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you want to translate it because you like that game, just go for it.
If you want to translate a game by judging the amount of requests, there's a request topic for that. (the game is not listed, but it doesn't mean people won't play it).

Reactions: 1 person

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
there are two different people already looking into this. I expect the one to be dropping a message if it looks like there is enough support or that they will have help. The other was more interested in getting someone else to do it for them. either way good luck... if this does turn into a project.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a rule of thumb pick any Japanese game and you will usually find 20 odd people saying do translate it. Pick any odd Japanese game that has already been translated and you will probably get just as many wanting a retranslation as the translators were not "true to the source" or indeed were too true to the source at the cost of readability/playability (less common but often more valid). Basically you should be wary of responses to forums although this is certainly not to say it is not worth doing as any game that is translated, assuming it does not already have a half decent translation, is a welcome addition.

As others have said we have a request thread so making a full thread really needs to be something along the lines of

You are a translator. See http://gbatemp.net/threads/densetsus-translation-toolbox.311523/ for the sort of skills you will need and although this is not a traditional RPG it is still likely to use some more complex language and probably some puns and such meaning it is not going to be a puzzle game where you can, for want of a better term, mechanically translate it.
You have some hacking skills. This need not be ASM and top flight rom hacker sort of thing but if you can pull apart the rom and find the text and roughly how it is formatted, some graphics and a rough overview of where everything is and then find someone who can do the lot to sort any more in depth issues and such as necessary then that might well be good enough.
You have art skills- this is not so common to have for someone to start a project with but if you get some artwork that needs translating (many games still have text built into the images rather than the standard text engine) and showcase a bit of that people are more likely to join up.

There are exceptions (although usually only to those that have done such things before) but "project leaders", "series experts" and "testers" without much in the way of skills in the above three categories will rarely be able to get a translation project off the ground.

I had a quick poke around the rom- looks like some fairly basic pointers and shiftJIS all in .dat files.

First entry seems to be the file length. What might be some formatting (although there might be more inline) and some basic pointers although the format might change a tad between the skillname and such and the script. Each section appears to have a number at the start of it. It appears to have an archive format called .pak which looks to be quite simple, I did not compare it to any other formats called .pak on the DS. A tiny bit of compression on some files but looks to be SDK compressions rather than anything custom. NFTR font with full Roman character set (a couple including a slightly narrower version) and more although I did see another font (animated no less for what looked to be the name entry).
Messing around with the font.
http://gbatemp.net/uploads/gallery/album_143/gallery_32303_143_2470.png

?????

錬金術の極意

踏ん張り

フラムっぽい物

みんな頑張れっ!

テラフラムっぽい物

どんぐりメテオ

我流【影】

我流【錬】

我流【炎】

我流【刃】

我流【縛】

我流【舞】

目利き

的確な指示

風の刃

損得勘定

退魔の護符

王家の風格

影走り

投げナイフ

鍛冶屋の腕前

とんずら

抜き取り

アニキ召喚

武器砕き

投網

一喝

引き込み

ふっ飛ばし

鋼の拳

組曲第1:ララバイ

組曲第2:アンガー
!
組曲第3:タフ
"
組曲第4:リカバリ
#
組曲第5:バースト
$
組曲第6:神の歌声
%
不思議な石
&
ミイラの腕
'
仙人の涙
(
水面の鏡
)
絡みつく砂
アースバイト
+
ヨダチダモトオ
デイオナンミ
-
デイオデイオ
ルエタコバベヨ
/
スカドオトッワ
ミンナオイデ
スマッシュアップ
パワーストライク
斬り返し
十文字斬り
チャージ
アインツェルカンプ
ガッツアップ
キュア
防御の極意
:
世話焼き
;
ターンアンデット
<
天使の加護
=
防御
>
一刀両断
?
ウチの料理最高ね!
@
闇の衝撃
A
後に来る恐怖
B
トルネード
C
アイスブレス
D
ソニックブラスト
E
フレイムブラスト
F
ぷにアタック
G
もどきアタック
H
飛び蹴り
I
エクスプローダー
J
仲間を呼ぶ
K
仲間を呼ぶ
L
仲間を呼ぶ
M
仲間を呼ぶ
N
仲間を呼ぶ
O
手下を呼ぶ
P
テンペスト
Q
突撃
R
石人パンチ
S
鋼鉄パンチ
T
金剛パンチ
U
マインドブラスト
V
ブリッツクリーク
W
ゲナウストライク
X
リヒテンランツェ
Y
アイズランツェ
Z
ブルートランツェ
[
メガフリッカー
\
テラフリッカー
]
テラフレイム
^
ドラゴンズテイル
_
ゆうわくの粉
`
オーバードライブ
a
気合い溜め
b
レギュレーション
c
プライズブリッツ
d
暗黒ブリッツ
e
おしおきロープ
f
フェロモンアロマ
g
時の石版
h
リュッケの目薬
i
力のタブレット
j
鉄ドリンク
k
あさつゆティー
l
ポーション
m
風のオーブ
n
虹のラリエット
o
パルフューム
p
メルクリウスアイ
q
流星のかみかざり
r
リターンゲート
s
生命のサプリ
t
エリキシル剤
u
マジカルポンポン
v
マジカルシールド
w
マジカルフラグ

On top of this you have a few nitroSDK formats for images.

rocketen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would absolutely be interested in this project. The only way I could be of help is if you needed a website built for the project though. If graphics need editing I can probably handle that too.

MiniMoonGirl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I lirerallyy check GBAtemp once a week to see if people have picked this game up for translation so I would love to play if translated.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
But Annie was the best one (character-wise) :(
The characters in Annie all pissed me off so much that I couldn't stand to play more than a few minutes into the actual game.

If Atelier Lina has a better cast of characters than Atelier Annie, I'll probably be able to play it without having to stop every few seconds to resist throwing my DS to see if it will make the characters better next time I play the game.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But Annie was the best one (character-wise) :(
The characters in Annie all pissed me off so much that I couldn't stand to play more than a few minutes into the actual game.

If Atelier Lina has a better cast of characters than Atelier Annie, I'll probably be able to play it without having to stop every few seconds to resist throwing my DS to see if it will make the characters better next time I play the game.

I meant Annie is my favorite main character. I don't know anything about other chars except Lise. The only one I could say I hated was the one scientist dude.

*edit- I meant Lise, not lina

Ladius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I just wanted to voice my support for Atelier Lina's fantranslation :) I played a bit of the Japanese edition (nice premium package, even if it was smaller than Annie's), and I think it could be by far the best DS Atelier game. The series has a lot of fans in the US and Europe, and probably this project could gather a nice following if it was advertised in the usual RPG boards and sites.

I apologize in advance for the resurrection of an apparently dead thread, I didn't saw any clear info about the project's status.

asakura9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I will just give a little help for the hack of this game although the topic is not really alive...

In red : The end of the file.
In blue : The number of the bytes.

This is the pointers in the script files.

The only problem is that the display is limited at 17 characters with 3 lines...

Reactions: 1 person

Eizen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Need to shorten Marcherra's name or it won't fit. Definitely need to fix that 17 characters problem or I can't continue. Also, I starts to suspect that Boris is lolicon -_- (Boris's 38 by the way)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: An already modded one with some games