Atari2600 on Wii - My comparasion: Retroarch vs Wii2600

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by soniccomcisbr, Jul 1, 2016.

1. soniccomcisbr
    OP

soniccomcisbr GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Amazingly, we still haven't a 100% perfect emulator from this old console. I decided to put here some points about what I found using both the Stella ports: the old wii2600 and Retroarch with the Stella core 1.3.0 ported by @zerofalcon

Screen Resolution - On Wii2600, the good thing is that when you choose a game, in 99% of the cases, the emulator choose the best resolution for each game. On retroarch you have to configure the best resolution on video settings, but at least, we have the double strike for CRT tvs.

Sound - In both cases, sounds like the real machine, but on wii2600, on some games, we have muffled SFX (missile command, for exemple).

Menus - Wii2600 is obviously better.
    The main problem in Retroarch is that the configuration of the controls can not be saved, and everytime a game is loaded, it's back to the its bad defaults. The "L" "R" difficult keys probably is the most annoying thing here. On Wii2600 we have all these options accessible with only one button, plus it's have the Z60 pallete option, to me, better then Stella's default.

Accuracy - Zerofalcon's core is better. I will highlight 2 points:
    1. If you play with wii2600 on CRT tv, some effects will be lost. The easiest to notice is on the Activision classic Enduro, your car whells will not move (this effect don't happens on my LED TV, probably because of the component cable). To solve this problem, we need a double strike resolution, and that is possible with the Retroarch.
    2. The Atari2600 is very well knowned by the 'blinking' sprites in some games. Notable examples: Yars Revenge, Missile Command, Entombed, Venture, I Want My Mommy... The Wii2600 will ignore this effect, even if you use a Led with component cable. Zero Falcon's core is "the real thing".

Technical problems - On wii2600, sometimes the menus got bugged, and we have to delete the configurations to back to normal. On Retroarch, a serious problem: It can randomly freeze your machine(specially when a pal game is launched). Well, everytime that happens you have to power off your wii...

Final result: I want to to stay only with Zero Falcon's Retroarch because Accuracy+ Double Strike is everything to me, specially because I am using it on a CRT. BUT, sometimes I can lost my patience with these freezes and with the controller configurations. Well, if these 2 problems become solved, I will never use Wii2600 again XD . Plus, it can be a good extra if a option to choose the palletes be added.

punkydudester, niuus and sabandellos like this.
  2. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Nice report. Though, to be honest, i have had better results with Wii2600, which works much more simpler. I haven't had the menu bug nor any configuration problems, even though it lacks 240p which is very nice for CRT and some LCD TVs that support it. Same happens for me with Wii7800 vs. Prosystem core.

I definitely wish this emulators could be updated a bit.

3. soniccomcisbr
    OP

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    The lack of blinking on blinking games annoy me a lot :D

4. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    I lol'd a bit.

5. soniccomcisbr
    OP

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    UPDATE:
    I tested @zerofalcon Stella Core for Retroarch 1.0.0.2 and it is superior to the 1.3.0. Now this 1.0.0.2 core is my first option to play atari on wii (via Wiiflow). The main point here is that build don't have the freezing bug on the load (that I mentioned on "Technical problems", on this topic).

The only problem is when we use any 1.0.0.2 cores and try to go back to the recent cores, the retroarch options become bugged and it's impossible to use it again until you delete the .cfg files or use an backup. Well, it's better then freeze, I use 1.0.0.2 for atari and pc engine now.

6. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Lol Wii2600 is based on a very very very old stella core. Many demos are not rendering correctly because of this.

7. soniccomcisbr
    OP

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Yes, but as I said before, anyone tried to made a perfect Atari emulator for wii. This core by zeofalcon is very near that.