Atari mines its 2600 catalog for 'Atari's Greatest Hits: Vol.1

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Atari released a collection of classic games on DS way back in 2005. The publisher has announced a second DS collection of 2600 classics -- this time, without any "remixing." Atari's Greatest Hits: Volume 1, out this November, is a compilation of fifty Atari 2600 and arcade games, ranging from the legendary (Centipede, Tempest) to the somewhat obscure (the Swordquest series, Human Cannonball) to Math Gran Prix (Math Gran Prix).

Twenty of the titles (including Pong, Space Duel, and Outlaw) will have single-card multiplayer for up to four, which makes sense given how little data would need to be transmitted to send the whole game ROM out over wireless. Check out the full game list and a trailer after the break. Something tells us that the footage in the trailer isn't authentic DS gameplay. Something like the fact that the screen images are wider than actual DS screens and aligned incorrectly.

This is great news for retro gaming enthusiasts -- except for the ones releasing Intellivision Lives!, who we imagine didn't expect to be competing with the 2600 again.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source (Joystiq)

feels weird using these P= tags

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I lol'd at Swordquest. Pretty damn awesome game series, too bad the final game and prizes for the contest were never 'released'.

Cool idea though, hopefully the games in the collection will be the very best, not just some good ones and a whole bunch of very mediocre others, like most Greatest Hits collections.

Also, it must have H.E.R.O.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Whoaa !! - Had a moment of a flashback to the old school days.........

... This will definitely bring back those memory's of going to local arcade during after school & playing these, skipping school dinners to save the money to play them

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
h0ser81 said:
It better have River Raid damn it!

QUOTE(Ellie @ Aug 26 2010, 11:14 AM) Also, it must have H.E.R.O.

It'll only have Atari published titles, those two were from Activision back when they weren't bastids.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have every atari 2600 game released as well as every unreleased prototype game on my psp already

D

Deleted_171835

This only has 50 games!
Atari games are only several kilobytes in size. They could have fit much more in one instead of choosing to release them in volumes.

The only thing that makes this interesting for me is the multiplayer.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
This only has 50 games!
Atari games are only several kilobytes in size. They could have fit much more in one instead of choosing to release them in volumes.

The only thing that makes this interesting for me is the multiplayer.
they did the same hing with classic nes series

they had 32MB but only ended up using like 2MB-4MB of it

they want to make as much money as possible

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
StellaDS.

Might as well just go for that, at least then you can get to play all the best games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass